Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
JSQ JSQ is offline
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
Rob, I'm pretty sure no one has broken more OME shocks than you!!

It aint even close.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
johnlee johnlee is offline
John Lee
K6YJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 16,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
This the one that I just replaced, that weld looks like week and even worse when the shock is not obstructed by the washer. I have no confidence.




Here is the one I replaced last year



Hmmm. I can come up with only one theory, and it's a pretty tenuous one.

The theory is that the incorrect washers you've fitted are causing the breakage.

The standard Land Rover upper shock mounts look like this:


Flanking both sides of the shock loop are dome washers:


The outside of the washers are flat and the sides facing the shock bushing are domed. The hole in these washers is large enough that it will slide over the unthreaded portion of the shock mount's shank. It's impossible to overtighten the rear upper shock because the the threaded portion of the shank is smaller than the unthreaded portion:


The washers you've used seem to be of two different types. This washer is a mystery to me:


However, this washer looks to be an OME bushing washer:


I just tested one of these washers over the shock mount, and the hole is too small to slide over the unthreaded portion of the shock mount. That might explain why you have so little thread showing here:


Your M12 nut looks like a standard nut and not a nyloc, so I'm guessing it's shorter in height than the usual M12 nyloc.

So I'm guessing you have more side-to-side play in the tops of your rear shocks. Not only are your washers farther apart, but you are not getting the compression from the convex faces of the domed washers.

I'm not sure why this play would cause the shocks to break over and over the way they have, but you're the only one suffering these shock breakages. Pretty much all of us run OME shocks in the rear and we're not breaking the loops. The only differences I can come up with might be driving style and the wrong washers. Because you are an expert driver who would never bash his truck, the only thing I can come up with is the washers.

So I would call up Will Tillery and acquire some of these domed washers.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
JSQ JSQ is offline
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,487
Outside of being beautiful Utah is also a free state.


The National Parks won't be free till February.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
montanablur montanablur is offline
Sinuhe Xavier
yes
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Neither here, nor there...
Posts: 584

I had to wait in Moab for a Fed Ex package so I thought I'd get some wheeling in, since all I'd been doing is overlanding. I thought it would be a good idea to camp up on Poison Spider Mesa.




Couldn't have had this weather during my shoot...


5 miles from town and I had an epic spot all to myself, didn't see another person until 10am this morning when a mountain biker came by...


I spent the solitude tightening up the loose odds and ends that 600 miles around the 4 corners will do to a truck.


The stars came out to keep me company...


When I was kicking it with the Navajo's, our guide Sisco, explained that hogan's and homes doors were always facing east. This was to welcome the new day, because like the sunrise all good things come from the east. This morning I would have to agree...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
blue blue is offline
Bill Gill, aka chump hater
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 1,171
Nice pics all around....I'll post some up this weekend. Great trip.
____________________
Blue
2004 D2

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
nosivad_bor nosivad_bor is offline
Rob Davison
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Hmmm. I can come up with only one theory, and it's a pretty tenuous one.

The theory is that the incorrect washers you've fitted are causing the breakage.

The standard Land Rover upper shock mounts look like this:


Flanking both sides of the shock loop are dome washers:


The outside of the washers are flat and the sides facing the shock bushing are domed. The hole in these washers is large enough that it will slide over the unthreaded portion of the shock mount's shank. It's impossible to overtighten the rear upper shock because the the threaded portion of the shank is smaller than the unthreaded portion:


The washers you've used seem to be of two different types. This washer is a mystery to me:


However, this washer looks to be an OME bushing washer:


I just tested one of these washers over the shock mount, and the hole is too small to slide over the unthreaded portion of the shock mount. That might explain why you have so little thread showing here:


Your M12 nut looks like a standard nut and not a nyloc, so I'm guessing it's shorter in height than the usual M12 nyloc.

So I'm guessing you have more side-to-side play in the tops of your rear shocks. Not only are your washers farther apart, but you are not getting the compression from the convex faces of the domed washers.

I'm not sure why this play would cause the shocks to break over and over the way they have, but you're the only one suffering these shock breakages. Pretty much all of us run OME shocks in the rear and we're not breaking the loops. The only differences I can come up with might be driving style and the wrong washers. Because you are an expert driver who would never bash his truck, the only thing I can come up with is the washers.

So I would call up Will Tillery and acquire some of these domed washers.

I had domed washers on the side that broke on this trip. OME washers on the other side. Not only do I feel that I do not "beat" my truck offroad, but I feel as though I should be able to give it two or three times what I throw at it before there is breakage.
____________________
-Rob
1999 Discovery 1

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
blue blue is offline
Bill Gill, aka chump hater
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
I had domed washers on the side that broke on this trip. OME washers on the other side. Not only do I feel that I do not "beat" my truck offroad, but I feel as though I should be able to give it two or three times what I throw at it before there is breakage.

I've got some shots of the broken loop still mounted on your truck before you removed it. When you look at the welded portion that snapped it looks incredibly insufficient to hold the loop to the body.
____________________
Blue
2004 D2

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Scott Brady Scott Brady is offline
Scott Brady
KE7PNP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 267
Great images all.

This is a favorite- fun shot.

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
marc olivares marc olivares is offline
marc olivares
KE7MAF
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 104


i dont know Scott, i'm kind of a morning coffee kinda guy myself.
i like this one
____________________
marc

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM
johnlee johnlee is offline
John Lee
K6YJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 16,068
I'm drawn to this one for some reason:

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Steve Rupp Steve Rupp is offline
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 86
Except for the Starbucks. I have gone to complete coffee snob now living in Seattle.

Rob, I think you just have too much drop in your rear suspension for those OME's. I don't think it's your driving style at all, I think it's your shock topping out and breaking the weld. Get your truck in a spot to fully drop out the rear axle and measure the shock length. I bet you're maxed out on travel of the shock. Get some longer shocks and bump stops.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
dchapman dchapman is offline
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 1,117
Go to a longer shock. Done.
Or, go to a lower upper shock mount. Done, again.

I too broke an OME shock right out of the box. I'm sure John remembers. It just pulled apart. Has not happened since. Talk to the hand.

Actually, the Bilstein 7100's in 400/100 are really sweet. Get the bushings over the heims, though. Heims are for Jeepers. When loaded they feel really nice. When empty they're a bit harsh. But when you're taking your Disco off some sweat jumps you'll really like the Bill's.

What do you do with that truck anyway? You've got to be doing some Evil Knievil shit Jeremy McGrath style. I've seen you drive and you drive like my grandother in her 1976 Plymouth Valiant slant 6 3-on-the-tree and bench seats on a Western Pennsylvania rural country road on her way back from the farmers market Sunday afternoon. I don't get it. Maybe I'm not supposed to.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Bruno Bruno is offline
Bruno Tome
N8YQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I'm drawn to this one for some reason:

Don't fight it.

Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Louis B. Louis B. is offline
Louis Burrows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I'm drawn to this one for some reason:



No doubt, you get the sense that the rider isn't just going to round the corner but that he is riding off into the big blue.

Really well thought out photos guys.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM
blue blue is offline
Bill Gill, aka chump hater
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 1,171
Here's the broken shock...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OME2.jpg (60.5 KB, 27 views)
____________________
Blue
2004 D2

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
traveltoad traveltoad is offline
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 2,625
A few more photos from Jean-Luc:













____________________
2003 Discovery
2007 KTM 950R Super Enduro
2010 KTM 250XC-W
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:06 PM
johnlee johnlee is offline
John Lee
K6YJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 16,068
That last pic is my new favorite.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM
montanablur montanablur is offline
Sinuhe Xavier
yes
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Neither here, nor there...
Posts: 584
Yeah...

Please tell Jean Luc good work for me...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM
blue blue is offline
Bill Gill, aka chump hater
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 1,171
A few more pics from the trip....

IMG_2059

IMG_2063

IMG_2070

IMG_2073

IMG_2113

IMG_2081

IMG_2086

IMG_2108

IMG_2127

IMG_2128

IMG_2130

IMG_2156

IMG_2158

IMG_2169

IMG_2163

IMG_2179

IMG_2189

IMG_2201
____________________
Blue
2004 D2

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM
stu454 stu454 is offline
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,177
Blue,

Those are some great pics.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
crookthumb crookthumb is offline
Skyler Neibaur
KE7ZYL
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rexburg, ID
Posts: 67
Rob, how do you like the awning and who makes it?
____________________
1997 Discovery SE7

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
nosivad_bor nosivad_bor is offline
Rob Davison
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,051
The awing is by www.campinglab.com For the price I think it's very nice. I wanted an awning without poles and was set on making my own, but I never got around to it and decided I would try this one out and if I hated it I would sell it after I make my own. It think it fits so nicely and packs discretely that I've lost the motivation to make my own now. We'll see how bored I get this winter.
____________________
-Rob
1999 Discovery 1

Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
benlittle benlittle is offline
Ben Little
KE7BEN
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
The awing is by www.campinglab.com For the price I think it's very nice. I wanted an awning without poles and was set on making my own, but I never got around to it and decided I would try this one out and if I hated it I would sell it after I make my own. It think it fits so nicely and packs discretely that I've lost the motivation to make my own now. We'll see how bored I get this winter.

I think it's sweet. I think it's actually made by ARB too... Not that it matters.

Your truck is looking good BTW.
____________________
110

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
montanablur montanablur is offline
Sinuhe Xavier
yes
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Neither here, nor there...
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
IMG_2179

"Damn.... Water."
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
montanablur montanablur is offline
Sinuhe Xavier
yes
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Neither here, nor there...
Posts: 584






Kate holds her own on the Optimator, Indian Creek, Utah.


Mikey Learns to Fly at The Wall, Indian Creek, Utah.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leica Love montanablur General 101 July 27th, 2016 06:15 PM
The Utah Traverse montanablur Trips / Events / Reports 65 December 20th, 2011 11:34 AM
Bachelor Party montanablur Trips / Events / Reports 19 February 5th, 2008 04:14 PM
Dust to Glory david General 23 July 27th, 2005 01:48 PM
Aaron, Al, what the hell happened? JSQ General 11 March 8th, 2005 03:21 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:04 AM.




Copyright 2001-2012 Expedition Exchange Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.