UCI check 36 Milan-San Remo bikes for motors:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...kes-for-motors

I kinda hope they find one some day.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sanremo pics.

Start in Milan:

What a beautiful place. The shittiest thing in the pics is the riders' uniforms. They look like clowns now. They used to look like real giants of the road:

Quote:
A picture of two ex-world champions and ex-winners of Milano-Sanremo. Eddy Merckx (age 23) and Rudi Altig (32) before the start of Milano-Sanremo or "La Primavera".

Rainy roads out of Milan:

Coast:

Start of the Cipressa:

Start of the Poggio:

I love how Sanremo often starts with rain and dark clouds and ends with sunshine. You definitely get that Primavera feel from the race.

Via Roma finish:

I'm glad the organizers went back to the Via Roma. The whole seaside thing with the palm trees is beautiful, but the Via Roma is more iconic. There was a time when Paris-Roubaix ended in the streets of Roubaix rather than in the Roubaix velodrome. That sucked. I want to see the different champions over the years with the same backgrounds. Compare that pic of Degenkolb to this pic:

The winner:

This is the biggest win of his career. He has a chance at Paris-Roubaix too. We'll see.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Gilbert on the Poggio:

Gilbert after the Poggio:

What happened:

Yeah, I hate helmets too.
Old March 24th, 2015, 12:55 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

These are nice Sanremo pics.

Quote:
Last-minute bike preparations took place outside the Ag2r La Mondiale bus as team staff taped key course profile details on the top tubes. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
Judging the rainy conditions of the start line in Milan, Lars Boom decided to add a mud flap to his bike before queuing up for the neutral start. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
At 50 kilometers into the race, the peloton was in one long paceline indicating the intensity of the day. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
With a relentless spray of water in their faces, some riders just could not take it anymore. Photo: Jim Fryer | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
With the peloton still chasing hard, the race circumnavigated the rain-soaked Ligurian coastline past Varazze. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
Near the Cereale feedzone 220 kilometers into the race the break still had a clear advantage over the peloton. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
Fans cheered from the sidelines as the front of the peloton reached the stormy coastline outside of the town of Borghetto Santo Spirito. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media

Quote:
The 106th Milano-Sanremo is a wrap. Photo: Jim Fryer | BrakeThrough Media
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That looks like this:

It's all about the Via Roma finish. I hope the Sanremo organizers never stray again.
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:22 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Cancellara out of Flanders and Roubaix:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...e-crash_364594

With both Boonen and Cancellara out, we'll see who takes Flanders and Roubaix.
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Harelbeke pics.

Quote:
E3 Harelbeke was marred by a lot of crashes. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Zdenek Stybar (Etixx-Quick-Step) got things going on the Paterberg. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Final selection on the Kwaremont:

Quote:
Zdenek Stybar (Etixx-Quick-Step) and Geraint Thomas (Sky) opened up a gap on the Oude Kwaremont with Peter Sagan (Tinkoff-Saxo) chasing. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
When Geraint Thomas attacked, Sagan and Stybar hesitated, opening the door for his solo move. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Geraint Thomas got one of the biggest wins of his career on Friday. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

I hope he celebrated with some Kwaremont Beer:

Old March 30th, 2015, 10:57 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

This year's Gent-Wevelgem was very Belgian, with lots of crosswinds, rain, and wet hellingen.

Highlights from the women's race:

Men's race:

Some pics:

Quote:
With the windy, nervous racing comes the inevitable crashes, which plagued the early kilometers of the race. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
The peloton passed through the scenic Porte d' Aire archway during its 239km ride through northern Belgium. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Echelons were the order of the day with windy weather, which immediately formed major splits in the field. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
In one of the more unusual crash scenes from the day, a few bikes ended up in the river. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Roelandts passed through the city of Ieper, solo, in the rain. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
And Thomas was unable to save himself from a crash, which fortunately landed him in the grass. He was able to chase back to the lead group after collecting himself. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Awesome race.
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:45 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The greatest week in cycling is upon us. This Sunday is Flanders and the Sunday after is Roubaix. Everyone gets all excited about the Tour, but the Flanders-Roubaix double to me is greater.

First, Flanders this weekend:

Degenkolb describes Sanremo as femininely beautiful. Flanders and Roubaix are distinctly different. They have a masculine and brutal nature to them. If Sanremo is wine or champagne, Flanders and Roubaix are beer. Flanders and Roubaix are also distinctly blue collar whereas Sanremo feels Uptown.

I hope last weekend's wet and windy weather continues. We'll have to wait and see.
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Quick Step boys recce the Ronde Route.

Quote:
Tom Boonen previewed the Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) course with his Etixx-Quick-Step teammates on Wednesday. Although he's still recovering from a shoulder injury and will skip the race, he provided advice to his compatriots ahead of Sunday's monument. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Matteo Trentin tested his legs ahead of Niki Terpstra on the Haaghoek climb. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Zdenek Stybar is on good form coming into Flanders. Although he had a rough day last weekend in Gent-Wevelgem, he won Strade Bianche earlier this season, and finished second at E3 Harelbeke at the end of March. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Stijn Vandenbergh took to the cobblestones to test his form. He figured in the final selection at Gent-Wevelgem last weekend and finished fourth at the Ronde last year. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
Boonen and Terpstra discussed strategy and got a feel for the cobblestones. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

Quote:
The Ronde's short, cobbled bergs, like this one, will play an essential role in the outcome of Sunday's race. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com

The pressure is really on for these guys to deliver. Flanders is THE race for the Belgian teams. The pressure is also on because these guys haven't really delivered this season. Stybar won Strade Bianche and Cavendish won Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, and that is great. However, the Quick Steps have played the bridesmaid in other races on their home turf.

They got smoked by Ian Stannard at Omloop even though they outnumbered him three-to-one in the final break:

That's embarrassing. Harelbeke was a re-run of Omloop:

Then Terpstra got beat by a rodeo clown at Gent-Wevelgem:

These wins and losses matter, but they're nothing compared to Flanders and Roubaix. We'll see if the Quick Steps can deliver.
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

il Leone delle Fiandre:

It's hilarious how an Italian won Flanders three times in a row. Francesco Moser did the same at Roubaix:

It takes a very special kind of foreigner to beat the Flemish Supermen at their own game.
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:40 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Johan Museeuw shares his views of Flandriens and the Ronde:

It's a crack-up how Museeuw is drinking a Kwaremont:

Kwaremont is also available in magnum size:

Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:33 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

This clothing ad has some really good videography of some of the famous cobbled bergs in De Ronde:

You can see the riders in the gutters in some of the clips. The gutters are blocked off for Flanders because of the crowd barriers. Some think this makes Flanders cooler than the warm-up races, but I actually like the gutters being available to the riders. Part of the fun of Belgian racing is watching the riders use the entire road and zipping over gutters, sidewalks, etc. and hopping over road furniture when they jockey for position. It takes a great deal of skill to ride like that.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:16 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Team Sky unveil their new suspension Pinarello for Flanders and Roubaix:

More details here:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...le-bike-165107

We'll see what happens. If Thomas wins Flanders or Wiggins wins Roubaix on this machine, the cycling world will go crazy and probably every squad next year will be riding similar machines. Team Sky are a bitchin squad, but thus far their monument score has been a big fat zero. Sky have even won multiple Tours de France, but seem unable to score a monument. If Sky win Flanders or Roubaix this year, I think most people will perceive that the new bike made a tremendous difference.
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I have not been on a bicycle for a long long time... Gabrielle talked me into riding Piuma today. 25-30 miles with lots of climbing. I'm beat.

2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old April 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sweet. At least one of us went riding. I went shooting yesterday. Shooting on Flanders Sunday may be pathetic, but I'll be shooting on Roubaix Sunday as well.

Highlights from yesterday's race:

Kristoff was really strong, almost unbeatable. I think he would have beaten Cancellara and Boonen if they were there.

This Flanders diary by the GreenEDGE boys is good:

The other squads are just like the GreenEDGE boys and face the same challenges. They give it everything and rarely get a result.
Old April 6th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

That's sweet, Aaron. We had some nice weather this weekend and I got out on my bike for the first time in two years yesterday. I wore shorts and a t-shirt, though. The only cycling clothing I have is team kit from my father's store's team and I couldn't bring myself to wear it with hairy legs.
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Roubaix is upon us:

I think this is the greatest cycle race in the world.
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:15 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Winning Paris-Roubaix would be bigger than winning the Tour de France Wiggins:

http://road.cc/content/news/147659-w...%80%93-wiggins
Old April 7th, 2015, 04:43 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Wiggins used to ride for FDJ and this video covers Wiggins' attempt at Roubaix from the French perspective:

Wiggins:

Quote:
I would actually put it up there higher than the Tour de France.

Love that clip of Wiggins getting knighted by the Queen. It would be hilarious if the Queen made Wiggins like a Duke or something if he won Roubaix.