Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old December 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

nice. congrats on all the titanium and carbon goodness.
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Greg, it's not French but I think it's an awesome machine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Cannond...item19d74f2523

Just remove the reflectors, slam the stem, and a few tweaks here and there and you're ready to roll.
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Greg, just another option in case you might be interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eddy-Merckx-...item20ce315cd8

$3400 landed is a shitload of money for a frame, that's for sure. However, the EMX-7 normally costs over six grand. And this one is the Quick Step paint job. It would be a bitchin bike. I'd rather have this one than something like that LOOK 695 you test-rode.

This is the top-of-the-line Eddy Merckx. What's hilarious is that with the EMX-5, you get the dinky book:

I bought my EMX used, so I didn't even get the dinky book.
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old December 24th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

Needs more of the merckx name splashed about

Merry Christmas to John

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Ho and Chris on PV East this morning:

View of San Pedro Harbor from close to the top of PV East:

It was only drizzling on us on PV East, but later on it started raining hard and blowing. It was the needle-like feeling on the face type of rain on the descents. It was sweet.

Chris rear-flatted on PV South so we took shelter under a Palm to fix the flat:

The palm helped, but it sucks fixing a flat in the rain. The wheel and tire are coated with watery road grime and your fingers are weak and have no dexterity because of the cold.

My new thong saddle got drenched:

I was dripping wet by the time I got back to the shop this morning. I was so wet that whenever I stood up to accelerate and then sat down again, I could feel water squishing out of my chamois.

The new Merckx runs like a champ:

Shifting is remarkably smooth and crisp, way better than the 10-speed Campy. These CULT bearings spin like crazy too. You can really feel the difference when riding. The machine has that slippery feeling as it rolls along. One time I had the front wheel on the truing stand and was playing around and then I had to take a dump. When I got back from the dump, the wheel was still spinning. Just incredible. These bearings are pure.

I couldn't test the descending ability of this new bike because of the rain. I didn't want to go full gas down PV East in the rain. That's a great excuse to go back when the sun comes out.

Thanks to Ho and Chris for this morning's ride.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:53 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

I'll join you guys when the sun comes out... hehehe. Looks like it was a fun ride.

John, I still can't believe you went all out on your EMX-5. You have the best of the best on this machine. You have joined the dark side big time and you have so much CULT, titanium and carbon goodness that you don't know what to do with. Your yellow Merckx is as pure as it can get but I dare say that your EMX-5 now also sings to you almost the same or to a different tune.
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

It was cold. Damn cold.

I still can't believe John went with carbon wheels.

Old December 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I was about at my limit by the time I got back to the shop on Saturday morning. I was cold enough and wet enough that I almost got hunger knock. My hands were so cold and stiff that I had trouble unlocking the door.

On Sunday I cleaned the road grime off my EMX and decided to clean up the yellow bike as well:

The two machines are now set up nearly identically. Both frames are nominal '54' sizes. The two frames handle almost identically, but have different geometries (longer top tube and shallower seat tube angle on the EMX). I tried to preserve the spirit of those geometries and different bar bends while still getting good positions on both frames.

Reach is a hair longer on the EMX:

This comparo pic is funny:

Look how much fatter everything is on the EMX. The frame is fatter. The fork is fatter. The stem is fatter. The bars are fatter. The levers are fatter. The rims are fatter. The spokes look fatter. Even the housings look fatter because of the inline adjusters on the EMX and the lack of shift housings on the yellow bike.

And then, for some inexplicable reason, the saddle is thinner:

The pic above reinforces the impression that everything is fatter on the EMX. The seatpost is fatter. Even the saddle rails are fatter. I'm not sure why these thong saddles are all the rage. They stick out like a sore thumb on the fatty machines.

Seeing the levers side by side is funny:

What a difference. These old Nuovo Record levers are beautiful, but they work like shit compared to the new Super Record levers. The aluminum Nuovo Records are also cold to the touch, something that never bothered me before I had carbon levers.
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
Needs more of the merckx name splashed about

For Rob:

Old December 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just saw this on the Flickr Eddy Merckx Group:

Homeboy has the pantographed Nuovo Record seatpost I want.

I'm dying of envy.
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:40 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

i'm digging that seatpost.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:44 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old December 31st, 2012, 10:00 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

The outer plate on my front derailleur is also chipped. I'm loving my 11 speed. Don't know why I neglected and waited so long to upgrade.
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Greg, any interest in this FDJ?:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/3492364699.html

I'm a little bummed it has Dura-Ace 7900 rather than 9000 (I don't like the look of the 7900, especially the crank). And he doesn't have the Dura-Ace tubeless wheelset with Hutchinsons. And he's got Ritchey stuff all over it. Man, I hate it when guys un-team a team bike. But the price seems good and he's local to you. It might be worth a look.

And this EMX-7 is a smoking deal:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...485277460.html

So it's not the Quick Step. But it's a smoking deal.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:30 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

No, I'd rather spend more to have it the way I want it. Still looking though.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:41 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I was about at my limit by the time I got back to the shop on Saturday morning. I was cold enough and wet enough that I almost got hunger knock. My hands were so cold and stiff that I had trouble unlocking the door.

On Sunday I cleaned the road grime off my EMX and decided to clean up the yellow bike as well:

The two machines are now set up nearly identically. Both frames are nominal '54' sizes. The two frames handle almost identically, but have different geometries (longer top tube and shallower seat tube angle on the EMX). I tried to preserve the spirit of those geometries and different bar bends while still getting good positions on both frames.

Reach is a hair longer on the EMX:

This comparo pic is funny:

Look how much fatter everything is on the EMX. The frame is fatter. The fork is fatter. The stem is fatter. The bars are fatter. The levers are fatter. The rims are fatter. The spokes look fatter. Even the housings look fatter because of the inline adjusters on the EMX and the lack of shift housings on the yellow bike.

And then, for some inexplicable reason, the saddle is thinner:

The pic above reinforces the impression that everything is fatter on the EMX. The seatpost is fatter. Even the saddle rails are fatter. I'm not sure why these thong saddles are all the rage. They stick out like a sore thumb on the fatty machines.

Seeing the levers side by side is funny:

What a difference. These old Nuovo Record levers are beautiful, but they work like shit compared to the new Super Record levers. The aluminum Nuovo Records are also cold to the touch, something that never bothered me before I had carbon levers.

I have to agree with Han-that EMX-5 is a worthy modern interpretation of your yellow Merckx. Nice.

That XXX was a waste of time and money.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I've been checking out that LOOK 695 and the more I look at it, the more I think it's Pure French Awesome. I saw this video:

695 from HYBRID on Vimeo.

The giant bottom bracket is hilarious. I dig it. And the way the crank needles through that giant hole reminds me of some shitty ching chong kid's bike crank. It's sweet. This video is good too:

Look how you adjust the crank length. That's so shitty it's awesome.

It's just a pity that there's no weirdo Mavic electronic groupset for this frame to complete the package. The bike looks decent with SRAM on it, but better with Dura-Ace:

And I think it looks best of all with Campy groupsets and Fulcrum wheels:

Fulcrum wheels are just Campy wheels by another name so that Campagnolo doesn't have to suffer the indignity of offering Shimano/SRAM freehubs.

Those Vittorias with the latex sidewalls are also looking bitchin on there.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Greg, did you see this one?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lapierre-xel...item1e75ee91e6

The seatpost has been cut and he says the frame measures 28" from BB center to the top of the seatpost. Obviously, this would require you to check to see if that could work for you. But the seller is in La Mesa. And a frame with a cut seatpost isn't worth anything. I doubt he'll even get a grand for this purportedly unridden frame.

Might be worth a look if you like the color. That frame looks like this all FDJ'd out:

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

=

Old January 4th, 2013, 04:15 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I ran across this cutaway demonstrator 695:

It's pretty neat. Check out how the upper headset bearing is recessed deep into the head tube as well. It looks weird like that. It looks as though the bearing is the bottom of a cup for pooling water.

I really like this pic of the fork and steerer:

Note the hollow flow from the fork to the steerer. It's one continuous flow of carbon. When I look down my EMX's steerer, it's blocked at the bottom. I think my fork was glued together from several different pieces. This 695 fork is really nice. Imagine a hydraulic line for the front disc brake going through the stem somehow, then down the steerer and finally through the fork to reach the caliper. It's possible. I hope LOOK does it.

It's kinda trippy how the lower headset bearing is recessed into the head tube as well. That skirt of carbon below the bearing certainly smooths the flow into the fork though.

Cutaway of the BB juncture and crank:

I like how the tubes are still open around the BB. When LOOK takes the integration concept a little future in the future, I can see putting the battery and routing wires and hydraulic lines through there.

Seatpost with elastomers:

It kinda sucks seeing the seatpost all integrated out like that and then right behind the seat cluster you see an interruption between the seat cluster and chainstays. I wonder why LOOK did that. It's still a neat frame:

Even this raw carbon 695 looks like a swan. A black swan:

Old January 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I agree the Look 695 is an awesome bike-I think the La Pierre is more in my price range though. The 695 outfitted like I would like would cost about $8,000+ or about twice the La Pierre.
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:13 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That 695 is definitely a shitload of money.

The 695 isn't my thing, but if I were going to get one, it would probably be this Italia one:

And it would probably be all Super Recorded out kinda like this:

Boy, would that be sweet. But a machine like this would be serious money. Just the frame module and the Super Record parts would be eight grand. With the wheels, bar, stem, saddle, tires etc. that I prefer (all of which are big bucks too), the bike would easily be over ten grand.

I'm not paying that. I'm not saying the bike is not worth ten grand or that people who pay that much are idiots; it's just more than I'm personally willing to pay for a bike. (Strangely enough, I seem to have no problem paying for three different Arctic Warfare packages that are ten grand each or a K-20 Super Scroll that is twenty grand.)

That's one reason why it took me so long to get my EMX-5 with super duper record kit carbonio titanium stuff. I just couldn't get myself to pay the asking prices. It could be there's something in my head left over from when I rode seriously and was broke. I don't know. Even when I did eventually buy all of it, I bought used for the frameset and the wheels were on closeout and about half price (still a shitload of money).

I think the 695 is a good candidate for buying used. The 695 has the integrated seatpost and a frame with a cut seatpost isn't worth a lot. I think you could score a used 695 in excellent condition for about what a new Lapierre goes for. Also, try to look on the bright side. The 695 comes with crank, seatpost, stem, and pedals. Think about all of the money you will save by not having to buy those pieces.

If you want a Lapierre, that is different. Get the bike you want. But if you want a 695 but are going to settle for a Lapierre, that kinda sucks.
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I like both bikes and I can't say I want the 695 over the La Pierre. They are both outstanding but different. Either bike is light years ahead of my old Vitus 979 and I would be really happy getting a La Pierre.

In fact, if I had the money I'd buy both. However, with a kid in college and another going there soon I'll be lucky to afford the La Pierre-it is a sweet bike.