Old January 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Subtle nice touch. I like it.
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:33 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

De Rosa Merckx:

The heart engraving on the fork crown lets you know this was built by Ugo De Rosa. It looks a little small to be one of Eddy's Merckx's machines, but it's hard to say for sure. Note the 753 tubing and the skeletonized shifters. Also note how the lugs are smaller than normal and thinned out as they sweep out from the corners. They're not square in cross-section and look a bit like a melted bar of soap. Everything is done to minimize weight. This could be an Eddy Merckx time trial machine, although it's hard to say for sure if it's legit or not.

Look at the beautiful sweep of the fork and how the swoop decreases in radius as you go down the fork. It's awesome.

I love these Fiat bikes.

Another one:

Note the De Rosa heart on the fork crown. I also love the pic of Merckx on the head tube. If you see these in person, the pic is not a photo but rather a bunch of dots like a newspaper or comic book print. When I was a kid I thought this was shitty, but now I know better.

Merckx and Ugo De Rosa:

That's pure.

Ugo with one of Merckx's machines:

Love this Columbus ad with Eddy Merckx and Ugo De Rosa:

Note the crank. The spider is machined out and the big ring has the De Rosa pantography on it. What an awesome crank. Look at the rear derailleur too. It's an early Super Record. And he's got the track pedals. Just spectacular.

The black and white photo doesn't show it, but Merckx is wearing the Maglia Rosa of leader of the Giro. And the giant groove in his stem is paintfilled with navy pant. That blue groove with the ugly orange of the frame is awesome.
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:54 PM
Won Park

Some other goodies delivered during last few days.

Hardcover

small softcover

This book has some nice photos and information about the man.

and finally in size 12!!

These shoes took long time to acquire. I saw them in glass display case at a local bicycle shop. I have been asking to buy them but, the owner didn't want to part with them. Finally, it took a year in time, and a trade with an older (but nicer) full-leather, wooden sole pair in smaller size to convince him to let them go. Now they are mine!
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:04 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

What is it about those Adidas Merckx shoes that makes them so appealing? They're actually pieces of shit. And yet one is willing to spend big bucks or trade away "better" stuff to score them. I'll bet that guy who traded them away is looking at those all-leather uppers and wooden soles right now and wondering why the hell he did what he did.

Congratulations on your new score.

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:26 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Won, if you need a pair of replacement cleats for those shoes, just let me know. I have an extra new pair in my stash that I'm not using and you're welcome to have them if you need them. Unfortunately, they're the red ones:

That's all I could find. The shoes you have originally came with the gray cleats. I also have extra cleat screws in case you want to double-anchor the cleats down or the previous owner of the shoes mangled the woodscrew holes by overtightening.

I like to install the cleats backwards so that the taller half of the cleat is on the front:

This way, I'm a little less likely to pull a foot. Depending on your particular cleat position you may or may not have to make a clearance cut on the cleat to clear the bearing bulge on your pedals as I did. Or, if you're not accustomed to riding strapped in, you can run the cleats in the conventional orientation.

And speaking of pedals, these Adidas Merckx shoes, like all great things, have baggage. Treat them sort of the way you would treat a Camel Trophy Disco. You can't put Mud-Terrains on your Camel Trophy Disco, even though Mud-Terrains are perfectly fine tires. And you just can't just willy nilly mate up those shoes with any pedal or any toeclip or any toe strap. Get the good shit:

You don't have to run double straps, but run Binda Extras. Don't just run any Bindas. Get Extrafied. And Campagnolo toeclips. And Campagnolo Super Record or Superleggera pedals, preferably pistas.
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:44 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Another example why these POS Adidas shoes are so desirable... I have a set of really nice Dromarti leather shoes but I have to use some POS cleats that works marginally in my opinion.

I hate these cleats so much I got a beater set of Campy Record ProFit pedals identical to the ones on my C59 so now I can easily swap bikes.

I have these cleats but no Adidas shoes...

Why is it so difficult to find a pair of these in size 44. I think the last pair I saw on ebay, it sold for some insane price tag.

Won, you are so lucky to have those POS Adidas... Congratulations!
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh, one more item of baggage on those awesome shoes.

Don't even think about riding them without cleats. That's for fucking pussies. This should go without saying, but apparently it needs to be said. For example:

Look how the soles on my shoes are worn under the cleats. The previous owner rode these shoes without cleats.

This chump wasn't alone. Here's my leather Adidas Merckx shoes:

The sole on these shoes:

Again, this pussy rode these awesome shoes without cleats. What an insult.

If you can't bear to ride your machine with your feet strapped to the pedals, that's fine. Just wear sneakers or something. But don't wear cycling shoes, especially awesome cycling shoes, and then remove the cleat.

This is how to ride with your feet strapped in:

On the really steep climbs, there's a risk you won't make it. And the steeper the climb, the tighter you have to strap your feet down so that you have a better chance of making it.
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:18 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

This guy on Flickr has the gray cleats:

Too bad the shoes are like a Vietnamese size 4.

Awesome Adidas ad:

How pure is that? Look at the position on the machine, with the arms relaxed and the back horizontal. Let your eye swoop up the beautiful fork and up the head tube and then to Eddy's chin. Draw a straight line from the front hub to the stem loop to his eyes. It's pure. So perfect is the fit of Eddy's machine that it could have been made by a master tailor. And it was.

Look at the sweet uniform. Look at the rainbow bands on the cuffs. There's advertising on the uniform, because professional cycling is a commercial enterprise. But his uniform doesn't look as if the sponsors vomitted all over it like today's "kit". Look at the materials. Some poor Australian sheep got shaved bald to create that jersey and those shorts. And some poor cow died so that Eddy could have those shoes.

Look at the road and surroundings and the road filth on him. I'm guessing Paris-Roubaix. No helmet either, even though racing on these roads is really dangerous. And look at the gearing. He's churning a 52x13 on the pave.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Just a few pics from today's ride.

Han rode his Saronni:

I ran into an interesting machine today. Remember when Chris Boardman broke the hour record?:

His machine is marked Eddy Merckx because Boardman was racing for Gan at the time, but it's a Lotus. Boardman also had a road version of the same machine:

These Lotus machines are very rare and expensive. I had never seen a Lotus in person. Until today:

My jaw dropped when I saw it. I couldn't believe it. It's a legit Lotus. Or at least it once was. This was once the most slippery bike in the world. Now look at the position. Look at the Cory pedals. This guy rides it with sneakers. And the entire machine is covered in rhinestones. This build is still in progress because he said he ran out of red rhinestones:

The guy was telling me that his bike is extra aero because of the rhinestones. According to him, they're like the dimples on a golf ball. He was serious too. And he told me his bike is going down to San Diego in a few weeks for wind tunnel testing.

I just had to get a pic of my bike with the Lotus:

My bike is pretty bling bling but it pales in comparison to that Lotus.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Here is the Lotus in its natural environment:

How can you put rhinestones and Cory pedals on such an awesome machine?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:25 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Few more pics.

Chit chat with John. Yes, we are talking about bikes.

This is Chris, my brother in law in his maiden ride on his new/old GT.

Here we are in Santa Monica.

We had a couple maiden riders today... aside from my brother in law, Won joined us with his yellow Eddy Merckx. I think this is his first ride on this bike. It's an awesome bike and you know it's an awesome bike when John starts drooling.

Beautiful day today for riding, overcast all day long so it was nice and cool...

John again chit chating with Chris... and me chit chating w/ my Saronni.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quick ride today along Mulholland today. Crystal clear and perfect temperatures.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

WTF?

I was looking at Han's pics from Saturday's ride and saw this:

Then I saw this:

I didn't even know I had that mole on my right calf. I thought it might be a speck of oil or something so to be sure I just looked at my calf. Sure enough, there's a mole right there. LOL.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Won left his bike here at the shop after last Saturday's ride, so I snapped a few pics:

It's a pretty awesome bike. Unlike my turd bike, this one has the underlined italic logo on the downtube. That's pure.

Won's frame is Eddy Merckx's size and I think the bar is just perfect with this size of frame. Compare Won's machine to Merckx's machine:

They're pretty close. Just tilt the levers down slightly and then lower the stem and the two would be really close.

You can see a decal below the Columbus decal on Won's bike. It's an Ernie's Pro Bikes decal:

So it's a safe bet this bike came from Ernie's. That's where my bike came from:

Ernie's sponsored the club I raced for when I was a kid:

Ernie's is no more. Other shops like Ernie's are all gone too. Pro bike shops like Ernie's can't exist today. They were too bad ass.

3ttt bar and panto stem:

The 3ttt stands for Techno Tubo Torino. Today's 3T stand stands for Techno Tubo Taiwan. You can see the previous owner liked to route the brake housings under the bar. That's an easy fix.

The brake housings lead to the magnificent Nuovo Record calipers:

Early Super Record calipers looked just like these but had aluminum shoes and wheel guides rather than chromed steel. I love these calipers and how the Campagnolo logo grows as your eye follows the arm. I'm tempted to steal these off Won's bike. My late Super Record calipers that look like the Cobalto calipers without the cobalto aren't as nice:

Crankset:

From the presence of the Nuovo Record small ring, derailleurs, and calipers, I'm guessing this crank started out life as a Nuovo Record and then the Super Record 53T ring was fitted later. I don't know for sure though. Pedals are Superleggera stradas and the toeclips are Campagnolo alloy. Chain is a black Sedisport. Really nice. It's pretty close to Knetemann's machine:

Wheels are C-Record hubs:

Rims are the Mike Rupp specials:

This is a really nice bike. It just needs a good cleaning, some adjustments, and some tuning and it'll be tip top.

Congratulations on your new ride. I hope you give it a good second life.

Old February 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Peep the shoes.

It's also weird looking at his toeclips. His right clip is beautifully arched and bent to match his instep while the left clip looks generic.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanchung
Another example why these POS Adidas shoes are so desirable... I have a set of really nice Dromarti leather shoes but I have to use some POS cleats that works marginally in my opinion.

I hate these cleats so much I got a beater set of Campy Record ProFit pedals identical to the ones on my C59 so now I can easily swap bikes.

I have these cleats but no Adidas shoes...

Why is it so difficult to find a pair of these in size 44. I think the last pair I saw on ebay, it sold for some insane price tag.

Won, you are so lucky to have those POS Adidas... Congratulations!

Han-I have a pair of 43's and 44's. I'll sell you my 44's if I can find a pair of 44 2/3's or 45's. They run small.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

They are in pretty good shape-if you see some 44 2/3 or 45's let me know and I'll sell you these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merckx 002.JPG (379.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Merckx 003.JPG (414.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Merckx 005.JPG (401.4 KB, 6 views)
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:43 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

damn... those are awesome! thanks for the dibs. i'll take them if you find the right size for you. i'm hoping the 44's will fit me. i never tried them on so i'm just guessing the 44 is my size.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

What size shoe do you where? I wear 9.5 and 10's in most shoes but 10.5 in Adidas running shoes.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:52 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

my dromarti's are 44 and my specialized cycling shoes are 43.5 but I think 44 should work. let me try them next time you come down. I'll buy then from you if they fit. heck, i'll buy them now if they fit.
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Needle in the haystack:

Untitled

There isn't much Battaglin Panto stuff out there, but I check Ebay regularly and found these. I think they'll look nice once they are mounted.

Untitled
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh shit. That's quite the score. They're going to be bitchin on your machine.

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Milano-Sanremo is this weekend.