Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I think I must have exceeded the weight limit on my 'cross bike that is why I popped a spoke.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Anyone up for another ride this Saturday 5/5? Leave EE about 7am?
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Chris Self

Sounds good.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Anyone up for another ride this Saturday 5/5? Leave EE about 7am?

I would if I wasn't going out of town this weekend. Have fun.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm in.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I have other plans already but keep posting when anyone is going as I'd like to go again.
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Thanks for the ride today, guys!
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

Old May 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I should have snapped a few pics today.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Chris Self

Yes, thanks for the ride. And thank you once again for the jersey, John!
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Han, I saw this on your Flickr photostream:

What happened?
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

I'd say he lost air pressure rather abruptly.

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Han, I saw this on your Flickr photostream:

What happened?

It was a sharp turn on a descend. Leaned and thought was going too fast and tapped the brakes a little too hard and locked up the rear wheel and by locking don't know if the tired can come off the bead but looks like it did. I had a little over 100 psi on the rear. The blowout was a pretty loud pop and thankfully I was able gain control and just roll down the road and stop. I was on my C59 Italia and the bike was the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard the pop. This fall could have shredded me pretty good but I was lucky to gain control. I would have been equally pissed if I crashed the Saronni, but the C59 Italia would have hurt more... LOL.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Damn. Nice recovery though.

In high school a bunch of us on Ernie's/La Grange rode up to Malibu for a long club ride. While descending Latigo Canyon, my friend Chris Hobbes blew out a front tire in a fast turn and faceplanted onto the concrete. It was bad. There was blood everywhere and you could tell Chris' teeth had poked through his cheek/lip area. His head and face were all swollen too. We had to call the ambulance for that one. This was before cell phones, so one of us (I can't remember who) rode to the nearest house and knocked on the door. In the end, Chris had 200 stitches in his face and head.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:58 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Very lucky to come out w/o damage. Tire was chewed up pretty bad and the wheel needed truing. It's all good now.

So to shake it off I went for a ride on Saturday. I took the kids to Lake Casitas Water Park just North of Oxnard. I went for a ride while they played in the water.

It turned out to be about a 40 mile loop from Lake Casitas out to PCH , up the coast and back into the hills on Casitas Pass Road.

It was great weather for riding along the coast with temperatures in the 70's.

The climb back into the hills was dreadfully hot... in the 90's. I was dying. I found a shaded dirt patch/turn off to replenish...

Riding along the coast is always beautiful and relatively safe but the ride into the hills was dangerous with very narrow roads as you can see in the picture. I found myself riding the solid white line most of the time to stay off traffic. Scenery was OK with many private ranches but no where to get water. I wouldn't recommend this road if you are riding solo. I don't think I would do it even with a group.
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Last year I posted some pics of my ride to Solana Beach. It was a friend's birthday ride and this year he wanted to ride again except he insisted we all made it to downtown San Diego. Last year due to time and knee issues I stopped in Solana and took the train back. I think it was about 79 miles and definitely the longest I've been on the saddle. This year we started at the Irvine Metrolink Station and rode to downtown San Diego... about 90 miles and it took us about 7.5 hours including the many breaks.

I've been riding and felt I was up for it and my only concern was my pinch nerve on my neck. I kinda ate shit for the first 30 miles with the nerve pinch but everything just loosened up after that and it was smooth riding to San Diego. Weather was great... over cast all the way.

Stopped at Oceanside for a break...

Getting close to San Onofre and it was drizzling here.

Torrey Pines Golf Course up ahead over that hill. Everyone talks about the climb up to Torrey Pines. It does look scary after riding 70+ miles.

Here we are at the top of Torrey Pines as we wait for the rest of the group...

Craig has been waiting the longest. I was the last in this group of 4 guys. Mr. Cannondale is my 17 year old nephew and this other guy rode his aero TT Trek machine. We are waiting for 2 more to join.

Next to the driving range...

Craig's Seven Titanio is behind mine.

Almost there...

My brother in law doesn't have a road bike so he borrowed the Bianchi from Ho... This is USS Midway which is a couple blocks from the downtown San Diego Amtrak station. We made without any flats or casualties. Fun ride...

Some of the guys stayed in SD for dinner but I had to get back to the family and to this.. I thoroughly enjoyed my post ride meal... hehehe...

Here is the ride:
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/876108
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm digging your nephew's Cannondale. I'm not crazy about the paint job and stickers, but the frame is nice. If it had a Precisa-style straight fork, it would be my idea of what a carbon frame should look like.
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Christian Lalor

I'm really starting to like those lugged carbon Colnagos. The logos and graphics are very simple and well done.

Han, what computer and mount do you have? I'm guessing the computer is a Garmin. I just bought a Garmin 500 and I'm looking for a mount like yours to get it off of the bars.
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Han, that looks like a great route. I will have to bring a bike out and ride with you guys when it's -10F here with two feet of snow on the ground.
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:46 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Christian, I have a Bar Fly Garmin mount. Amazon has it and seems to be the only decent Garmin mount out there and it's way overpriced for a plastic mount.

It's pretty awesome that you can order a C59 from Colnago with the traditional paint scheme even the Saronni red or any other and in a specific size. Hope the tradition continues.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Christian Lalor

I thought that might be a Barfly. There's another plastic mount out that's about the same price, but I've heard some differing opinions on the surface finish of it (having something to do with the manufacturing method):

http://www.designcycles.net/products.htm
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Here are a few recent panorama shots...

We were invited to a friend's house in Walnut so decided to ride there and have Debbie drive the kids. Took a slight detour through Turnbull Canyon because I've never been there and wanted to try it out. http://ridewithgps.com/trips/890635.

Nice late afternoon ride to Santa Anita Race Track.

This is my usual ride and have taken several pics from here but this day was rare because it was in the morning light. Usually it's in the late afternoon.

My second time riding to Griffith Park but first time to the observatory. Tough climbing in 90F weather but was worth it and I didn't see any Transformers there.

Old October 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I wonder what it would be like to climb Turnbull again.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

would bring back good memories and would be fun... let's do it!
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Shit. I just sold the compact crankset.

Old January 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Morning ride with my friend James.

James bought his bike a couple years ago thinking he would commute and get healthy and didn't ride it much until just recently he got really pumped up about riding and seems like he's really enjoying it for the fun of it. So he dragged me out of my comfy warm bed this morning for a ride to the Griffith Observatory. He's looking to score a Cannondale SuperSix Evo sometime later this year. I hope he gets it.

http://app.strava.com/activities/36035257
Griffith Park is a very common place for cyclists so that explains all the Strava segments gallore. I feel like a winner!!! Note all the PR's!!! LOL

Started from South Pasadena and to the LA river bike trail to the back to the North entrance of Griffith Park.

It was freezing in the morning on the way to Griffith park so no pictures. Here we start climbing. It's a really fun climb because the road is now mostly used for park maintenance vehicles and recreational hikers, joggers, and cyclists. So no traffic to worry about and it's usually pretty deserted. Several switch backs and the asphalt is all beat up and cracked so it's pretty fun.

Really winding road with lots of switchbacks... quite fun.

Hyperon Ultra Two's did really well and they seemed very happy climbing the rough road.

At the Observatory... We took a short brake to enjoy the scenery, take some pics and eat something.

I didn't even know they built this monument... The Gottlieb Transit Corridor monument, it's cool but it was blocked off so we couldn't go down to check it out.

Hollywood sign... check.

We were starving when we got home so Debbie pulled out some left overs from the fridge. It was a beautiful day outside so we set up the snowpeak tables on the patio... voila! post ride meal Feijoada w/ a little Chianti. What a day.