Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Chris Whybrew

Great pictures and write up...Epic! Thanks for sharing.

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Embarassing. My gear storage is such a disaster.

Ben, I hope you post up some pictures of your new storage setup. It's so sweet.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Old May 9th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Ok, be nice.

I wanted to solve a few of my own OCD issues I had with how I carried my gear. I hated having two heavy ass spares 1600's on the SD, carrying gas on the SD and having my Engel on a tall platform.

So I made a simple and secure storage out of 3/4 Baltic Birch which is secured with five grade 12 button head bolts and 3/16 backing plates under the truck.

I didn't want to have to take this out so I notched out the feet and seat belts for the back seat so that I could keep that functionality.

Now I can carry both of my 1600's along with 2-3 gas cans inside the cab. Everything is secured with 12" lengths of mac's. My fridge is also lower which is sweet.

My visibility is now awesome too. While looking into the rear view, I can't see a single item.

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I appreciate the concept, but what kind of a pain in the ass will it be when your fuel pump shits the bed?
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
I appreciate the concept, but what kind of a pain in the ass will it be when your fuel pump shits the bed?

Good point. I thought about that and couldn't come up with a solution for an access panel. I've taken this out twice since the trip and it takes about 10 minutes to remove the nuts/ bolts and slide out. Obviously all the other Shit has to come out too which I think is a bigger pain.

Old May 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Jason Rose
KF7YVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
Good point. I thought about that and couldn't come up with a solution for an access panel. I've taken this out twice since the trip and it takes about 10 minutes to remove the nuts/ bolts and slide out. Obviously all the other Shit has to come out too which I think is a bigger pain.

If you drop a Tdi in that '99 of yours, you won't have to worry about an in-tank fuel pump

Old May 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609
If you drop a Tdi in that '99 of yours, you won't have to worry about an in-tank fuel pump

Yea, that would be sweet.

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp

Mine has shit the bed 3 times and all three times I've forgotten what a pain that drawer system was within minutes of being back on the road. Ben is right, getting the other stuff out is a bigger pain than getting the system out.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur
Mine has shit the bed 3 times and all three times I've forgotten what a pain that drawer system was within minutes of being back on the road. Ben is right, getting the other stuff out is a bigger pain than getting the system out.

I'm going to give this some thought. If I can make a drawer setup that would allow for fitting my ARB fridge with the rear seats in place and be able to take out relatively easily, I'll do it.

I take my kids along in the Disco frequently enough that I need to have the rear seats in the truck and also be able to use the fridge when the kids are along. It looks like Ben's will allow the rear seats to
be used with the drawer table in place.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I don't know what it is, but I just can't get past building any sort of cargo set-up out of wood.
It feels like installing an IKEA dresser in the truck.

I know that the wood covered in carpet approach is easy to work with and holds up just fine, but it's a major hang up for me.
It's a waste of money but I'm planning on using starboard in the disco.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Ben's setup in his D1 is the best I've seen. The fact that he can keep the use of his rear seats is a very nice touch.

Old May 15th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Ben's new setup is sweet. I was having D1 daydreams after seeing it in person on the Utah trip. The best part is how low it keeps everything. Heavy items are stored nearest the center of gravity. You don't have to reach for any piece of gear. Everything is right where you need it.

I've used Starboard on my truck in places but I wouldn't think of using it for rear storage after seeing what Ben's done with his. It doesn't look Ikea at all.
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
I've used Starboard on my truck in places but I wouldn't think of using it for rear storage after seeing what Ben's done with his. It doesn't look Ikea at all.

I didn't say it "looks" like IKEA. I said it "feels" like IKEA.
I think Ben's set-up looks good. Just like Sinuhe's.

But if I built something out of wood to put in my truck I just wouldn't feel like I was building it to last. If seems too experimental.

I'm also not saying there's a better solution. These wood shelves work. And they don't look bad. But there's just not all the way there for me.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
But if I built something out of wood to put in my truck I just wouldn't feel like I was building it to last. If seems too experimental.

I agree but with a caveat.

My first two options were starboard, and aluminum plate with the box pressed and the whole thing powder coated. I was going to have beads rolled into the sheet for more strength and to avoid bowing etc.

I still like the idea of both, however, I ultimately wanted something that could be somewhat malleable. What I mean by that is I wanted something that I could add to or change easily without fucking up the whole thing which I would inevitably end up doing.

If I had gone with one of the other solutions... if/when I wanted to add a mount point or remove a mount, there would be holes and shit... That's what I wanted to avoid.

Old May 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

I think Jack is just a wee bit OCD...

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I really don't see the need to cover my load space with plywood (or starboard, etc.) in order to organize it. I'm fine with ratchet strapping my Engel and Pelicans and that works for me.

In addition-just the idea of plywood in my truck makes me think of those ricers with plywood wings:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg super-wing-rice-demotivational-poster-1204217309.jpg (70.7 KB, 19 views)
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I wish I didn't have to have a box in my truck. My box looks like shit and the Engel sits high enough that it's inconvenient to open. I have to remove my fuel cans to get to my kitchen Pelican to cook lunch. It sucks big time.

...but I have to have it. There's just no way to carry a fridge, water and fuel, camping gear, tools, a PowerTank and spares without the box.

I don't pack extravagantly and I'm always mooching off someone to carry some firewood or a BBQ grill for me. The ST D90 just wasn't designed to carry all of this shit in style. I'm seriously jealous of you D1 guys.
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
I'm seriously jealous of you D1 guys.

Get one.

And hurry while there are still a few decent ones left.
Discos aren't like 90s. Even with the limited production of NAS D90s you can basically use them up and get a fresh one. There's always some garage queen somewhere. This isn't true of Disco1. Disco1s were never preserved. Nobody bothered to save them for the future.
Finding the perfect Disco is MUCH harder than finding the perfect Defender.

Don't wait.
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Old May 19th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I don't have room for four cars so I'd have to sell the 90. It's tough. My truck was such a basket case when I got it and it's come so far since. I trust it now. On the last Utah trip, I opened the hood to check the oil on the way out and never opened it again. Even though it has a virgin dash and next to no rust, it has 123K on it and I doubt I'd get more than $20K for it. $20K is more than enough to build my dream D1 but it seems like such a waste to ditch the Defender.

I must avoid anthropomorphism but it's hard not to see the truck as a friend who has been through a lot with me. It sucks to imagine selling it on the street to some Dendy Jarrett moron who will put an RTT and limb risers on it and drill the dash for a Cobra CB.

Fuck.
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

What are your other two cars? Can't one of those get the short straw?
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Yeah I wanna hear what these two other amazing cars are that can't go away instead of the 90.

But I say fuck the 90.
You've certainly come a long long way on that truck, but a ST90 is pretty useless.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
I don't have room for four cars so I'd have to sell the 90. It's tough. My truck was such a basket case when I got it and it's come so far since. I trust it now. On the last Utah trip, I opened the hood to check the oil on the way out and never opened it again. Even though it has a virgin dash and next to no rust, it has 123K on it and I doubt I'd get more than $20K for it. $20K is more than enough to build my dream D1 but it seems like such a waste to ditch the Defender.

I must avoid anthropomorphism but it's hard not to see the truck as a friend who has been through a lot with me. It sucks to imagine selling it on the street to some Dendy Jarrett moron who will put an RTT and limb risers on it and drill the dash for a Cobra CB.

Fuck.

Chris, put the truck up for sale that would net you so much cash that you would gladly help install the RTT with the new owner.

$35000 and see what happens

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
Chris, put the truck up for sale that would net you so much cash that you would gladly help install the RTT with the new owner.

$35000 and see what happens

Jason and I were trying to convince Chris of this the whole trip. $35k is the correct price tag for his truck.

I love 90's but a disco is so much more efficient for this type of duty.

Chris, I'll even build you a rear door table and save a water tank for you

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
Chris, I'll even build you a rear door table and save a water tank for you

Hold the phone.
What's this water tank?