User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
lol... I told Chris about that one a few days ago.

Didn't we already decide that Chris is keeping his 90 Chris Snell, having decisions made for him on the internet since 2012.

Assuming that the body is in decent shape, that's the truck. Where the hell was that when I was looking?
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I'll have to think about it when I get back home next week. I need to see just how bad the baby seat situation is in the D1. I saw an LR3 in a parking lot today and the back seat looked pretty small in that, too. The Tundra is super-roomy.

Whenever I ride in people's cars that have baby seats in them, the car always smells like rotten milk. If that's the destiny for my ride, that's going to factor into the decision. The Tundra is basically brand new with 8500 miles on it and the interior is flawless. I could sell it today and not take a huge hit on it. It may be a different story if it's covered in crushed crackers and apple sauce.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
I'll have to think about it when I get back home next week. I need to see just how bad the baby seat situation is in the D1. I saw an LR3 in a parking lot today and the back seat looked pretty small in that, too. The Tundra is super-roomy.

Whenever I ride in people's cars that have baby seats in them, the car always smells like rotten milk. If that's the destiny for my ride, that's going to factor into the decision. The Tundra is basically brand new with 8500 miles on it and the interior is flawless. I could sell it today and not take a huge hit on it. It may be a different story if it's covered in crushed crackers and apple sauce.

The back seat in the LR3 is awesome. AND the doors open to a full 90 degrees. Trust me, we looked at basically every SUV out there and the LR3 is the shit for kids. Add to the fact that we regularly get 18MPG's and it's just sweet.

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

There's just no way I'm going to take a LR3 on the Utah trips. I know it can be done and that the LR3 would probably be just fine down there but it's just not my style. It's Tundra or D1 for me and that's mostly a question of practicality.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Christian Lalor

All this talk about D1s is simultaneously fun and annoying because I'm not ready to buy yet. I can't help but keep looking though.

My D2 has only been gone for two weeks. I started to hate it, and was paranoid that it was going to break down, somehow, at any moment, but damn I miss that thing already.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
There's just no way I'm going to take a LR3 on the Utah trips. I know it can be done and that the LR3 would probably be just fine down there but it's just not my style. It's Tundra or D1 for me and that's mostly a question of practicality.

I would never suggest you take the LR3 to Utah or on any trip. I'm only suggesting that over a Tundra or DI for hauling kids to jungle jims playland

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:

I'm not pleased with the carseat situation in our D1. The absence of the LATCH system means using the seatbelts exclusively. It's not half as secure as the LATCH setup in the D2. In the D2, once it's tight it is not going anywhere.

Unless both you and your wife are both very thorough in cleaning the interior you will get crackers, juice and milk in the truck. I'd recommend a seat cover, at least for the rear.

If the Tundra becomes your baby hauler, the interior will not be flawless for long.

Maybe we just have a messy kid. In any event, if our budget wasn't stretched tight I'd probably still hold off on that local dream D1 until my son is a little less sloppy.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
Unless both you and your wife are both very thorough in cleaning the interior you will get crackers, juice and milk in the truck. I'd recommend a seat cover, at least for the rear.

There is no amount of thorough that will prevent this. Kids live in cars- they eat, sleep, puke and more. Crackers, juice and milk is just the beginning. How about a lollipop that has become one with the carpet? Incredible quality of funk in the cracks and seams.

Quote:
Maybe we just have a messy kid.

If you have one, I have three.

Just get an appliance to haul the kids. Its a write off, cosmetically. Just plan on 10 or 15 years of slop, sell it and move on. The cost of doing business. Don't fight it. Save the clean car for the grownups.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:

Genuine water proof seat covers are still available.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM
KI4WWU

All kids aren't messy. All kids don't destroy or eat and puke in cars even. I don't ever remember any of my cars/trucks getting fucked up interiors from my kids. My wife's Yukons and Volvo wagons either. We never did a lot of snacking, crackers and stuff in the car but the random spill was cleaned up pronto.

That being said, even messy kids who have to sit in traffic to get to school, etc. can be cleaned up after. I'm just saying, don't avoid a D1 (child seats fit fine, deal with it) because of your baby.

Old May 25th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

You guys are killing me with the dried up milk stuff. I'll tell you what our strategy has been through two kids. We don't allow our kids don't eat in our cars. Period. The most they have ever had is water.

I won't even leave a gum wrapper in my car.

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
The back seat in the LR3 is awesome. AND the doors open to a full 90 degrees. Trust me, we looked at basically every SUV out there and the LR3 is the shit for kids. Add to the fact that we regularly get 18MPG's and it's just sweet.

We thought about a LR4 for our kid hauler SUV until we looked at the Audi Q7. I can't just buy a LR4 for the sake of owning a Land Rover. I'm never going to offroad the thing the way I do with the Disco. The most it will ever do is the occasional forest service road for fly fishing trips. The Q7 will handle anything like that with ease. The back seat is massive compared to a LR4; it reminds me of a LWB back seat.

I get 17-18 city and about 20 highway and it handles like an A8. I just wish I had more patience and ordered a tdi.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Kids are just messy by nature, and not because there's 3 course dinners going on. Sure they sometimes eat- when they get out of school they're famished because they haven't eaten in a couple of hours. But lunch boxes spill, they climb on the seats to get to the third row, there's wet swim suits and towels, muddy soccer cleats, beach sand and the dog. And then there's carpools and their friends. There's Costco, the park, balls, bats, bags, Home Depot. It goes on and on. You can spend all your time chasing after them with a sponge, but why stress it? Get good floor mats and seat covers and clean it out once in a while. Accept that life is messy.

But we do have a clean car. They don't mess up that car, even though they ride in it almost every morning. The Sequoia is play clothes. My car is church clothes.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I have dreams of keeping a clean vehicle, but a three year old and a sloppy wife prevent that.

If I could get her to keep her car clean I'd then go on and develop cold fusion, end hunger and play cards with Ernest Hemingway & Ian Fleming.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
We thought about a LR4 for our kid hauler SUV until we looked at the Audi Q7. I can't just buy a LR4 for the sake of owning a Land Rover. I'm never going to offroad the thing the way I do with the Disco. The most it will ever do is the occasional forest service road for fly fishing trips. The Q7 will handle anything like that with ease. The back seat is massive compared to a LR4; it reminds me of a LWB back seat.

I get 17-18 city and about 20 highway and it handles like an A8. I just wish I had more patience and ordered a tdi.

I agree about the LR4. We've looked at those too but honestly why would I want to spend $50k on another LR3 with painted fenders when I could spend $40k on a mint 2009-10 MKIII??

We looked at Audi's too but couldn't get over how generic everything seems to be. I don't know about the Q8... Before I bought my WRX I considered a hatch A4. Blah.

On that note; we have actually decided to get a MKIII and ditch the LR3.

Old May 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:

On that note; we have actually decided to get a MKIII and ditch the LR3.

I needed a SUV with 7 seats, otherwise we'd have bought an MKIII.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
I needed a SUV with 7 seats, otherwise we'd have bought an MKIII.

That's actually one of the reasons we bought the LR3. We are most likely done with having kids... We have 2 so the MKIII would be nice. We'll see...

Old May 25th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Chris Whybrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
All kids aren't messy. All kids don't destroy or eat and puke in cars even. I don't ever remember any of my cars/trucks getting fucked up interiors from my kids. My wife's Yukons and Volvo wagons either. We never did a lot of snacking, crackers and stuff in the car but the random spill was cleaned up pronto.

That being said, even messy kids who have to sit in traffic to get to school, etc. can be cleaned up after. I'm just saying, don't avoid a D1 (child seats fit fine, deal with it) because of your baby.

Ron's comments are key to keeping your car clean with kids...just say "no!" I have a 7 yr old daughter and I very rarely at all allow her to eat in the car when we are driving locally. I mean how long are you really in the car driving locally? 30 - 45 min max? Heck even an hour, your kids arent going to starve to death.

If I do allow eating, its something dry that can be cleaned up easily. All liquids have a lid (sippy cup or cap w/ straw), period. Also, I have two towels under the car seats - they catch spills and protect the leather.

My ex's LR3 looks like shit on the interior because they are constantly eating in the car...i dont get it.

Chris Snell....Regarding the D1 seats and car seats. The rear seat is fine for child seats. There is plenty of room. There are two downsides to D1 backseats and carseats. 1) the lack of LATCH system for child seats that have to be secured (unlike booster seats). However, I made do using both the seat belt (with the supplied brass seatbelt retainer) and the seatbelt mounts in the floor behind the rear seat. Get the Graco seats with the simple metal curved hook/clip.

2) width for others. Car seats will take up space width wise, so if you have more than one, only two kids (in carseats) can usually ride in the back. I have had two adults and my daughters car seat in the back, it was tight but doable. Not something for long trips.

The LR3 has been great with kids. Plenty wide and much easier to egress and ingress.

Old June 19th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609
A little Rolex love to go with the Zassenhaus......

Re-reading this thread, I realize that I forgot to post this photo. It's one of my favorites.

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

I did the carseat gig in my old 96 D1. Never had a problem but the latch system is certainly a safer arrangement. I never had much of a problem keeping the car clean, but then again I'm a fanatic about keeping the interior clean. I always put the carseat on a folded over towel so that the seat base didn't dig into the leather and it also helps keep crumbs out of the crevices. And as far as puking goes, it'll happen. When you see your poor child puking in the backseat your compassion for your child overrides your concern for your vehicle.

I really enjoyed my D1 but I enjoy my D2 more. Even with all the pain in the ass shit on this D2 I still prefer it over the D1. That's not to say I don't have the D1 love...I just prefer driving this D2.

Old June 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

the past week my two girls have been out of school and they have been running around with me 24/7. we have been hauling around the dogs in the 110 and every time i load my 4 year old in and out of the second row seat i want to take a video and post it in this thread.

its not bad once or twice a week, but try doing it 5 and 6 times a day. its terrible. D1/D2, 110, even the RRC all sucked with young kids in car seats. whats even worse is that their mom purchased a reccaro car seat and sometimes i need to use it in a pinch. that thing doesnt even go in the 110 with out some tetris action.

the mkIII is mildly better, but no winner either. despite all the grief i would not trade for anything, just dont fool yourself into thinking its a family truck for young children. the only thing that gives me hope is my youngest will be in a booster shortly, then loading and unloading will be a breeze. i think there is a narrow window from 7 to 12 that the 110 will work. because there comes a point when too big of a human is hard to get in the second row of that truck.
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjv
the only thing that gives me hope is my youngest will be in a booster shortly, then loading and unloading will be a breeze.

The first thing to do is to teach them how to buckle themselves in. Sure you'll watch them for a while to make sure they do it right, but once they can handle that and you don't have to load them at all, your world will change.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Todd Miller

What the fuck is up with this MKIII shit, can't you guys just say Range Rover? It's a Range Rover or how about RR? Seriously.

How could anyone possibly buy an Audi Q7 over an LR4? Maybe I could see it if it was a TDI, but gas no way. You must have had he worst LR salesperson ever. A Land Rover guy that buys a Q7
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Todd Miller

According to the official specs from both LR and Audi, the LR4 has more front, second row, and third row leg room. And more cargo.
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
What the fuck is up with this MKIII shit, can't you guys just say Range Rover? It's a Range Rover or how about RR? Seriously.

How could anyone possibly buy an Audi Q7 over an LR4? Maybe I could see it if it was a TDI, but gas no way. You must have had he worst LR salesperson ever. A Land Rover guy that buys a Q7

The real question is how could anyone spend $50K+ on the most hideous vehicle Land Rover ever produced? The LR4 is fucking nasty. The grill and taillights are complete ghetto. You could show me a comparison of every specification where the LR4 has an edge over the Q7 and it wouldn't make a difference.

The other thing that makes no sense is the lust for the tdi in the Q7 as that would somehow elevate it to an acceptable level for you. It clearly has to be an emotional attachment to a diesel. The tdi in the current Q7 isn't an improvement over the 3.0T. It's considerably slower and only gets 2mpg better.