Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Le Tour de France

The Tour is coming.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:43 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

And I don't think any of those guys are going to win.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:09 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

I'm interested to see what a healthy Tyler Hamilton does this year. I think Alexandre Vinokourov should be considered as a contender this year as well.

I think the Ullrich-Armstrong battle should be fierce this year. I thought that it was interesting however that Ullrich didn't participate in the Dauphiné Libéré this year. Isn't that generally considered the final tune-up race before Le Tour?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I remember Hinault used to say that racing in the Giro was the best prep for the Tour, at least in his day. Now with the shorter and more intense racing in today's Tours, the Dauphiné may be preferable. I'm not into cycling enough any more to follow such opinions, so I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me though if Armstrong raced the Dauphiné every year because if he raced the Giro he would be expected to race to win and everything about Armstrong's season is winning the Tour.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Anyone want to wager on Armstrong taking the tour again this year?

Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
curtis

If I were to place money on Lance winning Le Tour it would not be this year. Then again, I did not think he would win it last year so who knows?

I too am very interested to see how Tyler Does.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

One thing is certain:

The dominance that Armstrong showed in his earlier Tour victories is not as strong as it once was.

I haven't closely followed cycling lately either, so I'm not confident enough in any direction to wager on whether or not Armstrong will win his 6th.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
curtis

Lance remians a big mystery. Like John said, anymore he focuses on the Tour. No one knows how to judge his riding.

I think a Tour "fan" will take him out in the mountains. The Euro crowd does not want him to surpass the greats with a 6th.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think Armstrong is going to win again. I don't want him to, but I think he's going to do it.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Say what you want about Armstrong's Subaru ads...

http://www.drivesubaru.com/Spr03_NewCampaign.htm

...at least he hasn't been caught putting out this kind of endorsement:

Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

It's funny that the Tiger comparisons come up, because I have always believed that Lance Armstrong was the Tiger Woods of cycling.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:06 PM
charlesp

The latest odds on the Tour De France - Sat Jul 03, 2004 - Win Market
L. Armstrong (90/100), J. Ullrich (9/5), T. Hamilton (5/1), I. Mayo (6/1), R. Heras (20/1), I. Basso (25/1)
(Sporting Odds, Betfair)

Lance is a heavy favorite.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:07 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Am I the only one who misses this bad ass?

He never won a Tour or even a Giro. His position on his bike was just so wrong. His saddle was too low and too far forward. His stem was too short. And how a very powerful sprinter like Kelly could stand riding an aluminum VITUS frame is beyond me. His teeth were that of a poor Irishman. But he was a bad ass. He put his neck at risk during the spring classics. Definitely one of the most stylish men in the peloton. Thank God I never saw him in a hardshell helmet.
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:19 AM
KI4WWU

Speaking of Tiger Woods, didn't he endorse the Tudor line for Rolex at one time? I remember some kid in my office about 8 or 9 years ago running around talking about how badass he was going to be with his new Tudor "Tiger daytona" chrono...
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, Tiger was Mr. Tudor for a while but he switched to TAG. I guess TAG offered him more money. Actually, I think the Tiger-TAG team is a good one. I think TAG owners tend to be Tiger fans and vice versa.
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

John, what kind of hubs are those on Sean Kelly's bike?

The World Championship colors on the hub is bad ass... Looks like Campy to me?
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
curtis

Definitely Campy. Also check out the old downtube friction shifters. Way cool and not much needed for adjustment. I could not stand it when they switched to index shifting until STI came along.
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM
David Woo

Whatever happened to Campy? Are they still around? All I ever see is dura ace nowadays.
DW
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM
curtis

Campy is alive and well. They currently make a really trick 10 cog system that shifts similar to STI and is super light (expensive as hell too). Lots of riders still choose Campy, but Dura-Ace still has 70%-80% of the market because they are cheap and a little less finicky.
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

It's hard to tell, but it looks like a Campy Super Record hub. I don't know what's the deal with the rainbow stripe on the hub though. Sean Kelly was never world road race champion.

As for Campy's popularity, I just can't believe Dura-Ace groupo's are used by the majority of the pro peloton squads. Unreal. I guess Campy isn't Xtreem enough. Anyway, the Dura-Ace goes perfectly with the hardshell helmets, paneled shorts, and ugly frame color schemes.
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM
curtis

Not extreme enough? That ain't it. Check this out:

http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=1&cid=all

The new Record grouppo is super light and very high tech with generous use of composites and titanium.

Sweet stuff, but you gotta remember that pros ride for money, not nice parts
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The new Record Group is indeed pretty high tech looking. I'm digging this carbon crank:

The latest version from Campy has that vomit carbon pattern and a different spider shape.
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:02 PM
curtis

What really surprises me is that Campy is offering a triple chainring crank in thier hi-line Record group. A triple? Jeez - how many beginners are going to need Record parts?
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:33 AM
AlanB

Campy stuff is just the best, I've got 20+ year old road bikes with Campy Nouvo Record, Super Record, and Chorus stuff and I still ocassionally ride them, still good as the day I got them. Shimano stuff is nice, but if you want to keep it a long long time, Campy is the only way to go. Campy parts are just so sleek and stylish, nothing compares.

Campy Super Record hubs are amazing, set up right, they will spin forever.

Heck the only people that can afford a record triple are old geezers anyway. I could definitely use a triple these days, the days of running a straight block 12-18/52-42 are long gone.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:42 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I haven't looked at Campy or Shimano stuff lately, but when I was racing the Shimano stuff was far inferior in quality to the Campy stuff. For example, the Campy Record rear derailleur I had on my bike had ball bearings and adjustable races inside the derailleur pulleys. I have never seen anything like that on a Shimano derailleur.

Campy stuff also had the markings engraved instead of laser etched, but I think Campy has gone to laser etching recently. That is a pity, because the Campy stuff looked almost like jewelry. Every little allen bolt also had "BREV. CAMPAGNOLO" lightly engraved into the head. So nice.

Shimano bearings also didn't have the smoothness of Campy bearings, although that might have changed. As Alan said, you could spin a Campy wheel and it would spin an incredibly long time. When the wheel ran out of momentum, the valve stem alone would cause the wheel to spin to and fro a very long time as well. Mavic or Shimano hubs wouldn't spin nearly as long.

These new 10-speed freehubs are insane. I used to ride with a 53/42 crank, and with 13-14-15-16-17-19-21 rear cogs for club rides and a 15-16-17-18-19-20-21 straight block for racing (I was a junior). I was overgeared on the very steep climbs, but I just couldn't bear to put a 23-tooth cog on my freewheel because it looked too wimpy. Nowadays you can do a 53/39 crank with 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22 freehub. That is just an incredible gear range. Imagine a straight block that goes from 13 to 22! Unreal.