Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Watched the TTT last night. I never saw so much carnage before. Looked like a Cat4 race with all of the falls. Unreal.

Tyler Hamilton's squad was pretty cool finishing with only five men but still getting second place. And of course the US Postal squad was just amazing. Seeing Hincapie, Armstrong, and Ekimov in succession in the line gave me chills. I can imagine those three taking 50% or more of the team's pull time. Just awesome.

I think the USPS squad got fucked by the new TTT time limits. That sucks. The Tour is a race that is centered around time. To change that changes the essential character of the race. It sucks that the sprinters and flatlanders will never win the Tour. It sucks that those who can't time trial will never win the Tour. It sucks that a strong rider could lose the Tour based on his squad's weak TTT performance. But such is life. I hope the Tour goes back to its old format in upcoming years.

This should be a sweet Tour though.
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
...I think the USPS squad got fucked by the new TTT time limits. That sucks. The Tour is a race that is centered around time. To change that changes the essential character of the race. It sucks that the sprinters and flatlanders will never win the Tour. It sucks that those who can't time trial will never win the Tour. It sucks that a strong rider could lose the Tour based on his squad's weak TTT performance. But such is life. I hope the Tour goes back to its old format in upcoming years...

Agreed. If one man / one team dominates, then the proper solution is for the other men / other teams to improve. Restructuring the race is a bullshit solution. Does the end justify the means? I think not.

Old July 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Virenque finished 3'27" behind Armstrong today. I am not sure if he's got what it takes either.

Tomorrow should be an even more telling stage than today.
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Rob Davison

I was listening to a report on NPR last night about the whole doping issue during this years Tour.

They mentioned the main drug boosts red blood cells some 20%. The Effect lasts a month or more but the evidence only stays in the users urine for like 3 days so a lot of dudes gamble and take it and hope they don't get caught. The benifit is a huge 10-20% advantage, say you pedal up a hill and can do it no faster than 1 minute ever. You take these pills and in a few days you are going to get up it in 51 seconds.

My question is are the drugs or steroids as hard core as the ones you are taught to fear in school or are they simply magic pills? Do they even have any side effects?

Rob
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
You take these pills and in a few days you are going to get up it in 51 seconds.

Are you sure you're talking about EPO as an ergogenic aid here?

Seriously though, the side effects of EPO are kinda scary. Myocardial infarction, stroke and decreased circulation due to decreased blood viscosity.

Any anabolic steroid is scary due to the effect it can have on myocardial tissue. The last thing any athlete wants is decreased stroke volume due to myocardial hypertrophy. If overdone, it could lead to death.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Rob Davison

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3424016

you can listen to the audio commentary.

It is EPO they are talking about...

Amazing that its that dangerous yet they still use it. I guess winning isn't everything to me.

Rob
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM
curtis

I agree with Craig on both of his last posts even though I only under stood a little . One question: doesn't EPO also drastically increase the chances of a blood clot? I seem to recall this from speaking with a doc buddy of mine.

Armstrong must be amazing this year or the rest of the pack just sucks. I bet on the former.

As far as Virenque? I bet that Ullrich & Hamilton pass him by tours end. They both put on a much stronger show today. I am not sure about Jan, but Tyler has been in great shape this year. Lance is turning out much better then I ever expected.

As far as the doping: as bad as this sounds - you gotta catch them first. I hate hearing about accusations like Lemonds ones about Lance the other day. They just are not right. Fortunately they have already fallen so far back in the headlines I cannot find them. Doping is stupid. No doubt. However, accusations look even more idiotic coming from an admired former champ when he has no proof.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Blood clots are another side effect.

Realistically, the chances of these side effects appearing are small if the riders are taking small doses of EPO.

What I want to know is what mechanism is used to detect the use of EPO during drug testing.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:12 AM
curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby
What I want to know is what mechanism is used to detect the use of EPO during drug testing.

Damn good question and from what I know it is a very imprecise science. As you apparently know, they cannot detect EPO in any standard lab testing method. Instead they use a normalized red blood cell count and base the guilt on that. This obviously creates a wide variance as altitude changes, body chemistry, hyper (hybo?) baric chambers, and other factors swing the variable to a wide range. In an accusational role they can only really say: "Your red blood cell count is way off"

Damn I would hate to be one of those doping inspectors
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Telling indeed.

This is unbelievable to me.

Jan Ullrich is 6'39" behind Armstrong
Richard Virenque is over 12 minutes behind
Roberto Heras is over 27 minutes behind.
I don't see Tyler Hamilton. "He must have the night off."
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:18 AM
curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Poor Tyler Hamilton. That sucks.

No doubt. Tyler was, of course, my favorite US rider beyond Lance.

I was pretty certain that the USPS team & Lance would have trouble this year. I was wrong. I have never seen a tour that was absolutely, positively, and authoritatively dismantled by one team like we saw today. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Hamilton: abandoned. Mayo: wanted to quit, but his team manager convinced him to push on. Finished 115th. Ullrich gets top contender awards by finishing 6th back -2:42, but admits that there is little chance of him winning since he is 6:39 behind Lance in the GC. Heras 21:35 back inthis stage alone. The rest was like litter beside the freeway. The destruction was a Tour disaster like I have never seen.

Two bright stars for the future seem to be coming out of this mess though. Of course Ivan Basso has been amazing, but creeping up from behind is Axel Merckx. While he has to live in his dads shadow, I am impressed at how well he seems to be pulling for such a young guy.

/C
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I don't see Tyler Hamilton. "He must have the night off."

LOL, good one!

All the doping accusations are bullshit. Lance kicks ass. If his competitors just said that, they would be respected. They wouldn't be in the limelight, but at least they'd be respected.

Old July 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Lance is a machine

16 H 59 - Villard-de-Lance! Armstrong Reclaims The Yellow Jersey
Lance Armstrong will be the last rider to start the time trial to L'Alpe d'Huez in stage 16. He has inherited the yellow jersey after the 15th stage. The new top 10 is:
1. Lance Armstrong (USP) 2,786.6km in 67h13'42" (41.440km/h)
2. Ivan Basso (CSC) at 1'25"
3. Andreas Kloden (TMO) at 3'22"
4. Frnacisco Mancebo (IBB) at 5'39"
5. Jan Ullrich (TMO) at 6'54"
6. Jose Azevedo (USP) at 7'34"
7. Georg Totschnig (GST) at 8'19"
8. Thomas Voeckler (BLB) at 9'28"
9. Pietro Caucchioli (ALB) at 10'10"
10. Levi Leipheimer (RAB) at 10'58"

from http://www.letour.fr/2004/us/index.html

Old July 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

I think that Lance is dominating so easily is quite a testament to his domestiques.

USPS is really strong this year.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:00 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Holy crap, Armstrong physically passed Basso on the Alpe d'Huez time trial today.

In addition to the damage created by erasung the 2 minute gap, I can't imagine the psychological damage he did in passing his closest competitor on a mountain time-trial stage.

John said it right... this Tour is over already.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Holy crap, Armstrong physically passed Basso on the Alpe d'Huez time trial today.

LOL. Poor Basso.

Few things in life are more embarrassing than being caught by the rider behind you. Ask me how I know.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:53 AM

fuck blood doping....they need to check for this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3_desktop3_4.jpg (77.5 KB, 75 views)

Old July 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

While I was racing at Andover I dated this cute blonde named Liza. Her cousin Will was racing for Milton and when Holderness held their road race she asked me to keep an eye out for him and tell her what I thought. I reported back that the kid looked promising and I was sure he would do well in a couple years.

Yesterday she sent me this link:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1215...googlenews_wsj

Turns out will is riding as a domestique for this Garmin-Chipotle team, but nearly captured a stage.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's awesome.

Domestique on one of the pro squads is nothing to sneeze at. You have to be a bad ass to race at that level, even as a domestique.

Tony Cruz, one of the guys I used to race with, was an awesome rider. He would dominate the intermediate races and then he would race with the juniors. He would kick ass in the junior races as well. He ended up as a domestique on the U.S. Postal squad.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

All doping aside, I think the Tour is the most grueling sporting event on the planet and I have the utmost respect for those athletes.

I was lucky enough to ski race with Levi Leipheimer, we were both on the Bridger Bowl, Montana ski team. He was always a super talented athlete, whether it be on a mountain bike, free skiing or ski racing. His older brother Rob was instrumental in getting me sponsored later on down the road as I quit racing and focused on extreme skiing. I think he will do well this year.

Here's Levi winning a stage at the Tour of California in Solvang from February.
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Eric Siepmann

First TT today. Missed the last stage to a nap and didn't have it on the DVR.

Interesting race to date.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Haha, I never saw this thread before. I had no idea some of you were Roadies (or Freds). I had a GIANT Cadex 980 back in the day. I was never a road biker at heart, though. I was more of a Fred. I rode the Cadex 980 as a trainer for a little over 3-years. I probably put over 5,000 miles on that bike.

The road was fine, but I was a MTN biker. I competed in the Virginia Championship and Pedro's Series races. I pimped the GIANT Cadex CFM-3. That was a good time. I still miss it.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM

wow, now there's an old thread....

Finally got to see the Tour in person in 2006. Here's a couple pics from the time trials and start of the Tour in Strasbourg, France.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Land Rovers.JPG (180.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RR tour start.JPG (134.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg start of tour.JPG (177.4 KB, 14 views)

Old July 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Looks Like they will be getting into the mountains over the weekend... Time to start watching.
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Let the doping... I mean racing... begin.