Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 14th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Utah by Mall Crawler

I'm always up for a trip to Utah. I hadn't driven out here since the '08 LRNR. I started my trip with a 1,050 mile marathon spread over 18 hours.

My obligatory stop.

I met up with Kevin Day and his brother Ryan between Mexican Hat and the Valley of the Gods.

Rain set in fairly early the first evening. That, coupled with all of us having had long drives led to an early turn-in. The rain was more welcome once we realized that the dust wouldn't be quite as bad.

We drove up and down both sides of Comb Ridge before climbing onto Cedar Mesa. This was a beautiful area that I need to explore more fully.

We had toyed with camping at Natural Bridges but the temps were falling quickly. We decided to make a run for Hite and hoped that we would find warmer temps at lower altitude.

Warmer temps were found, along with a ghost in the form of the Hite marina. This hadn't been a lake for a very long time. The fishing poles for sale in the gas station stood in concert with the long-abandoned dock and boat ramps.

My navigation tells the tale of our campsite.

After leaving the old widow woman "town" of Hite, we backtracked toward Monticello. Ryan had never been to Canyonlands so we decided to go to the Needles District.

Documenting our site on BLM land near the entry to the Needles District of the park.

Running Elephant Hill seemed like a good idea.

Proof that Terrain Response and 19" street tires can get you to some interesting malls.

After avoiding carnage, we returned to camp. Bill Gill met up with us that evening. The next day we headed to the Islands in the Sky District. Our primary reason was to run Shafer Trail and Potash Road as a fun way back to Moab. We also hoped to find a spot to camp along the way.

Back to town.

I escaped Moab by backroads, thanks to Chris' old posts.

I didn't think to piss on Ralph Lauren's fence until it was too late.

I'll end with a Kansas sunset.
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Fantastic!
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old April 14th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Nice work, Stu. Elephant Hill in a stock LR3 is awesome.

I've stopped in that little store in Bedrock, CO for a soda once. It's been closed for a few years, I think. When I was there, the lady was trying desperately to sell the property. I bought a Coke and Snickers I could tell that they had been sitting on the shelf for a while. It's a beautiful old wooden building with wavy floors that have probably been there since the 1800's. If you removed the crappy upstairs addition, it could be a neat little place.
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Ryan Loehr

That's sweet. I go back and forth on what to do about the 19's on my LR4, and whether I want to go to 18's in some way or another.

What rubber are you running on your 19's? How did your tires handle Utah?
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLoehr
That's sweet. I go back and forth on what to do about the 19's on my LR4, and whether I want to go to 18's in some way or another.

What rubber are you running on your 19's? How did your tires handle Utah?

Ryan, the tires are Hankook whatevers that LR Fort Lauderdale threw on to sweeten the deal. They are 100% street tires; no AT pretentions here.

They handled everything very well. No chips, cuts, or other goobers. I'd prefer a more aggressive tread, but that's more for looks than anything else.

I'm planning to go to the Maze District in '19 or '20. I may have new tires by then. I'm toying with keeping the 19" wheels and getting six of these:

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...emier-ltx.html

255/60R19 is just an inch or so taller than stock.
Old April 14th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Ryan Loehr

Those Michelins are actually what I have now. They were on my LR4 when I bought it, so I'm not sure how old they are or how many miles they have on them. The tread is relatively shallow, although the tread is relatively shallow on these tires when they are brand new.

I've had them on some local trails, which are a mix of mud and rocks. They did surprisingly well, although I think a lot of that is due to the LR4's traction control. I'd be reticent to take them on a Colorado trail with sharp rocks.

I've debated on going with an "all terrain" for 19" wheels. The choices are ether Cooper Zeon LTZ's or Goodyear Duratracs, both of which are in XL load ratings and not even an LT tire.

Getting 18" wheels on an LR4 is one bad decision or another. It's either 18" LR3 wheels with spacers, which seems pretty ghetto to me, or 18" Compomotive wheels that I don't particularly care for the look of. But 18" wheels would let me use E-rated tires.