Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:09 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

ron, my father has a 93 500 SEL. that thing is smooth as silk even after 11 years of use. 95 would be even better.

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:34 AM
KI4WWU

Now that's a pretty cool ride. Got any pix?
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:26 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
I'm looking for something reliable, fast, comfy, and not very common, and not brand new.

850 T5R Wagon...
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:42 AM
KI4WWU

Do not like the Volvo 850 or T5 or V70...granted they all sit pretty low that's just something I distinctly remember disliking about the V70.

I really know so little about the MB line. Is there a site that I can go to that gives the basics on the models through the years. I remember the old 300D line, the 190 E and 300 E (same body larger engine?) and some of the convertables. Very confusing to the uninitiated.
Old July 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

i say again!

SAAB 93

you won't find a vehicle with bigger trunk space.
(well maybe you could, but they aren't as cool)

Old July 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM
curtis

If you are looking at MB, give any of the previous model E320 or C280's a look. The newer ones are crap and horribly unreliable. Think 1995 'til about 2000. I had a '96 and a '98 C280 Sport. Absolutely loved those cars and had zero problems. The only reason I got rid of the last one is that it is too hard to put three kids in there.
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:10 PM
KI4WWU

I drove a c280 (2000), c230 Kompressor (1999), and an E320 (1997) today. I like the 280 best for some reason. The 230 Kompressor felt cheap on the inside or maybe it was the color.

Still thinking about the 1997 M3 with 87k miles and missing center arm rest and broken stereo display....
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I have a 2001 Audi S4 (6 speed) and I think it's in your price range of $25k now. It's a great car and I haven't had a single problem in 33k miles. It's a 4 door and available in either 6 speed or tiptronic automanual.

Other cars I would consider is the latest year M3 in your price range (that'll be an E36). I prefer manual and 2 door only.

Also the MB AMG C43 (W202) is now in your price range and it's a great 4 door (with auto) car. These are made in both Bremen and Sindelfingen and the quality of the Bremen plant is now on par with Sindelfingen (where Eclass and Sclass are) as opposed to the bad old days of the 190 series.

My 2 cents-
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:39 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

If you aren't going to go Porsche, I'd stick with the bimmers.

For those who actually have a pulse and desire to own a car that outside of being well built, stylish, reliable and prestigious is ACTUALLY fun to drive, BMW has to be the choice.

MB has a few things going for it, but honestly, a car with any pretense of being sporty must at least be offered with a manual transmission.

M3 + slushbox = sacriledge.
thank god for the m5. E28, E34, E39: nary an auto between them.

just listen to blue.
he's got things pretty well sorted out.

ps
that E36 M3 is totally overpriced.
those suckers are dime a dozen. pick a cherry one and get a good deal on it to boot.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:03 AM
curtis

Errr...Jack the C43 had a manual transmission. While a bit consise, the following review compares the M3 and C43 quite well:

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/c43.html

Frankly, if I could get a comparable year/mileage/condition on either I would lean towards the C. Both are excellent vehicles, but the C43 has all of the old MB/AMG feel combined with the reliability that MB laid its life on & Daimler-Chrylser destroyed.

Now - given a 2004 - The M wins hands-down. My neighbor has a '04 M3 convertible. Truly an amazing piece of work with top down and 335HP.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:22 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Curtis.

fair enough.

i did recently see a nicely sorted slk with a manual tranny in the parking lot at my club but like the c43, these are few and far between. to speak more generally, my point is this: the vast majority of the BMW line is offered with a stick and not only does this make those cars that much more capable and enjoyable to drive, but it speaks volumes about the manufacturers intentions in both design and use. i'm certainly not saying that benzs aren't great cars. they're fantastic. but for anything spirited, the experience of the auto-equipped MB majority is lacking. while mercedes makes/has made a number or really well set up cars (the c280 and c36 amg being among my all time favorites) everyone of these cars, IMHO, would be that much better if you could get it with a stick. to me, not even having the option makes me feel shortchanged.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:33 AM
curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
To me, not even having the option makes me feel shortchanged.

Damn good point Jack. I think that most Bimmers are available with a manual. Granted, you rarely ever see them in the 5's and the 7's - never. However, I think most if not all can be had with them.

Also - I have never seen a BMW I did not like. I even had a 1987 325 I was quite fond of 15 years ago. Going back to my neighbors new M3 convertible: hell, I think would choose that over almost any MB if I had an extra hunk of gold laying around
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

S-CLASS.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
but for anything spirited, the experience of the auto-equipped MB majority is lacking. while mercedes makes/has made a number or really well set up cars (the c280 and c36 amg being among my all time favorites) everyone of these cars, IMHO, would be that much better if you could get it with a stick. to me, not even having the option makes me feel shortchanged.

While I also prefer a manual trans in sport cars and sedans, I don't miss it as much in some of the better MB performance sedans. I am interested in trying out the C55 when it's available.

However, I still prefer the new Audi S4 (6 speed manual, 350 hp lightweight aluminum V8, quattro all-wheel drive,etc.) Or, if I could afford it, the RS6!

Back in days before MB took over AMG, MB contracted with Porsche to build the 500E/E500. The E500 was totally built by Porsche and was a kickass sedan with an auto. It felt perfectly set up with an AT. One of my relatives owned one in the mid 90's and later traded it in for an S600 (wanted more rear leg room )
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM
KI4WWU

I like the 500E, seen some examples on Ebay. Also like the C43 AMG. Been looking through classifieds with no luck...
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:18 PM
curtis

Here is a C43 in Marietta, GA. Looks really clean by the photos, but with MB's always get the service history.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1567
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:47 PM
KI4WWU

Thanks man, I saw that one today. Wife hates that multi-colored interior and I wonder, do they make a C43 AMG with normal interiors?
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:51 PM
curtis

Not sure. I have only seen *maybe* three C43's up close. I don't remeber any that had a two-tone interior. They all semmed to be black or grey.

Hell - as cheap as that one is, I am sure you could have the white blacked-out and color matched and still be way ahead of the game.
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:02 PM
KI4WWU

True....
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

ok Curtis, you've produced a nice example of a C43 at a really good price.

now find Ron one without a slushbox.
this is your mission should you choose to accept it.

if you can do that i just might forgive him for not getting a bimmer.

he's a driver. i can feel it. he needs to be in control, in unison, in touch with his car. he needs a stick.
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM
curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
now find Ron one without a slushbox.
this is your mission should you choose to accept it.

if you can do that i just might forgive him for not getting a bimmer.

he's a driver. i can feel it. he needs to be in control, in unison, in touch with his car. he needs a stick.

LOL - I decline. They are out there for sure, but I don't need anymore volunteer work

That being said, I truly do like the MB's slushbox and I am a "driver". It is a well-dialed transmission that you can have some manual control over. I also love the feel of a good manual, but the auto/Tiptronic type transmissions these days are flat-out faster on the track. I don't think they offered that in the C43 though.

With BMW (5 & 7 Series) you almost have to get the manual or you get stuck with the same sloppy ZF we have in our Rovers.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM
KI4WWU

lol Oh come on man help a fella out!!

I rather liked the auto tranny in the C280 I drove last week. 2000 model with the tiptronic-like shift mode, while not a stick was still fun. Seems funny that I have settled on either a C43 AMG or a much older 500E, neither of which is going to be found on the corner euro-sedan lot.

Much like the NAS 90 I searched for over a year to find....

p.s. the F250 is listed (starting tomorrow) for sale at traderonline.com. If anyone is interested, lemme know.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonL
Let me rain on your parade. Call the dealer and ask how much for a clutch replacement

LOL-Yep, it's pricey alright. At least Audi gives a 5 year/50K warranty with all maintenance included (including oil changes, brakes, wiper blades, etc.) I've got 17,000 miles and almost 2 years left.
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:52 AM
KI4WWU

I know a couple of guys in town with A6 and A4's. What's the deal with Audi and your friend?
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:23 PM
KI4WWU

Oooof, sounds like a dealer warrantee work situation. I had something similar happen to me with my 1997 Discovery. Extended warranty through March 2002. Starter died on Christmas day 2001, brought it to the dealership and they wrote it up as a warranty job and completed the work. When I went to pick up the truck they present me with a $1100 bill saying Ford decided not to honor any extended warranties.