Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 11th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Kevin Barrett

dual batteries & split charge systems?

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on split charge systems as they seem to be all the rage here in the UK (along with roof tents) but i'm not so sure.It may just be a way for the off road stores to fleece more money!
I note Johns 90 has twin yellowtops wired in parallel and it obviously works very well. i have a Superwinch Husky on my 110 and seriously need to upgrade batteries.
Kevin
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I much prefer the yellow tops wired in parallel. With two batteries wired in parallel, there is very little to go wrong, and you double the cranking amps and reserve of the batteries. I would much rather have the double cranking/reserve power than a battery in reserve.
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Roel

Thumbs up

I read this somewhere on the web I don't know where anymore:
The higher you can keep the voltage while you are winching the lower is the current you are going to pull from your batteries. So with two off the same batteries parrallel you can winch more than twice as long as with one battery. My Camel Disco has also 2 batteries parrallel and have no problems at all.
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Snwbord24

Power is Current x Voltage. As your battery voltage drops more current has to flow out to keep the same power. So as stated, the longer you can keep battery voltage up the better. Two in parallel will do this for you. You can always put disconnects on one of the batteries to "remove" it from load and use it only when winching.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwbord24
...You can always put disconnects on one of the batteries to "remove" it from load and use it only when winching.

A good isolator/combiner will help you do that. I can recommend the Hellroaring setup.

SC
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

What is/are the advantage(s) of having one battery isolated? Obviously you always have a "spare" battery... are there other reasons?
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Snwbord24

Spare battery is the main reason I think. You could even alternate which one was your "spare" to increase the life of both. Then, if you're winching you just run both. Other than that, haven't thought about it much.
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
What is/are the advantage(s) of having one battery isolated? Obviously you always have a "spare" battery... are there other reasons?

Yes, a fully charged spare battery is the main reason. The advantage of that is, well, you have a spare battery. You have a spare tire and spare gas and a box of spare parts so why not a spare battery?

My interior lights decided to stay on quite frequently last winter. The first couple of times I didn't notice since I'm usually in the house before they switch off anyway. They drained the main battery overnight. In the morning when I realized what had happened, I switched to the fully charged spare battery and was on my way. Maybe parallel batteries would have lasted until morning - I don't know, I'd have to do the math. If I didn't drive the truck everyday then parallel batteries wouldn't have helped - they'd have both been drained.

Obviously the dual parallel setup is the simplest but is it the most reliable? What you have is two batteries combined into one big battery, which could easily become one big dead battery. I'm not convinced that that's more reliable than keeping a fully charged spare battery, despite the more complex setup.

SC
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Rob Davison

bragging rights too. face it isolator is cooler
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
bragging rights too. face it isolator is cooler

Yeah, it's almost as cool as this on a '93

(those are the isolator/combiner switches in the background BTW)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0281 (Small).JPG (36.6 KB, 203 views)
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I would find both of those items (LT230 and battery isolator) MUCH more cool if located on a certain Cairngorm Brown '89 :p
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:10 AM
Snwbord24

Steve,

If you run a disconnect on each battery you have in parallel you get the best of both. With both disconnects "closed" you get the dual parallel setup and with one of the batteries disconnected you get your spare battery. You could run either battery or both batteries. Most of the time you would run with one isolated as your spare and only go to dual for winching etc....