Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 1st, 2004, 10:52 AM
Snwbord24

Aux lighting for the Black Panther

Since I don't have a roof rack I can only go with 2 lights on the ARB. I'm sure I could squeeze 3 or 4 in there if I made an adapter plate, but that would look pretty stupid so I'll stick with 2. I was thinking the Rallye 4000 Cornering. Seems to be the best option besides the Motorsports HID Euro Beam, but I have no intention of paying $670 for some lights.

Are those 4000 Cornering my best bet for an all around light? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Shane
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:55 AM
DJ Menasco

Shane

You can easily fit three Hella 4000's on an ARB. I had a tab welded between the two factory lamp mounts. Its nicely tucked away and retains its "stock" ARB profile. Have a look below. If you'd like some close-ups I'd more than happy to take some pictures for you. Just let me know.

DJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D90 SW.jpg (52.8 KB, 416 views)
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:05 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Stick with two lights... it will look better.

The 4000 cornering lights are great! That's all I have on my DII right now. The only problem is that I believe they are back ordered.
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:05 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

for most use, i like the cornering on the bumper.

you'll eventually end up with the expensive light bar (roof rack). then you can have a pair of each beam and play musical chair with the lights.

Old September 1st, 2004, 12:18 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

well aaron, just in time..... hella shipment just came.

Old September 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Snwbord24

Sweet, I'll be snagging up two of those 4000 Cornering by the end of the week or early next week.

I'll also be getting the wiring harness kit. Can I mod the kit to use the DII aux light switch? I'd love to be able to use that switch with them to keep the stock look inside.
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

as long as the switch you want to use is a "clicker", it's very simple.

just call me when you are ready to install and i'll walk you thru it.

Old September 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwbord24
Sweet, I'll be snagging up two of those 4000 Cornering by the end of the week or early next week.

I'll also be getting the wiring harness kit. Can I mod the kit to use the DII aux light switch? I'd love to be able to use that switch with them to keep the stock look inside.

You will have to swap it for a cruise control switch. Still looks factory though. You can even get it to light when on.
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:36 PM
Snwbord24

Wouldn't it be easier if you just "took care of it" before you shipped it to me since I'll be getting the lights, harness, and aux switch from you guys anyway. j/k
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

you'd benefit "oh so much" if you did the wiring yourself.

Old September 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Snwbord24

I hate it when people are right like that.
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:26 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Two Hella 4000 Cornerings, with Clear Covers.

For switching, I would like to see you combine the fascia from the D2 Auxiliary Light Switch with the D2 Cruise Control (clicker-on, click-off mechanism with red LED illumination when the switch is depressed). You would have to buy two switches to accomplish this, but I think the result is well worth it.
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Snwbord24

John,

That's exactly what I want to do. If you want to get it ready the order will be the 4000 cornering, harness, barri nuts, clear covers and LR aux light switch for DII (or 2 of these).

Why do I need two switches? I can't wire both Hella's into this https://www.expeditionexchange.com/genuine/DSC00959.jpg ?

Or are you saying use the cruise control binnacle with the aux light cover to get the red illumination?

Shane
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That is the D2 Auxiliary Light Switch. It's a momentary switch. I hate momentary switches for light use. I recommend getting that switch, removing the fascia from it, and then putting that fascia on the Cruise Control Switch (which is a click-on/click/off type of switch).

Both the Auxiliary Light Switch and Cruise switches feature illumination, so all you'll have to do is to swap the fasciae (?) and you're set. You'll have one switch to control both Cornerings, but that one switch will be composed of two separate switches (auxiliary fascia with the correct icon on it and the click-on/click-off mechanism of the cruise control switch).

If you want to go full boat, you can have four clicker switches on your left binnacle. From top to bottom, the four switches would be:

(1) front fog icon on a clicker body to control the two Hella 4k's on your front bumper;
(2) auxiliary light icon on a clicker body to control the four Hella 4k's on your roof rack;
(3) rear fog icon on a clicker body to control the rear worklamp; and
(4) rear fog icon on a momentary body to control the factory rear fogs.

This is not the only way to do it; it's just what I like. Use your imagination with you'll come up with all sorts of switching options for your D2. If you are willing to give up your coin tray and ashtray, you can have even more switches like so:

Old September 1st, 2004, 04:40 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

John, the only potential problem I see with using the "Aux 2" fascia on a cruise switch body is the location of the on/off LED light window. I haven't played with a Cruise switch too seriously yet, but so far I can only get the left side LED to light up when the switch is on. This means that when the switch is on the "lamp logo" will illuminate but not the LED window of the Aux 2 switch.

Unless someone else has already figured out how to get the other side to light.
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:47 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Funny, worked out of the box for me...
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby
Funny, worked out of the box for me...

Ok, I'll bring it by EE on Sat and you can fix mine!!!
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

aaron, your "2" switch was on the right side? or left side?

Old September 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
Snwbord24

Ok, in order to do what your saying John I would need to relocate my fuel tank switch to the right side. I don't have a roof rack so I don't have rear working lamp or rack lights. Right now my left side switches are:
1 Front driving/fog lights
2 Rear fog lights
3 Fuel door
4 Empty

Here's what I envision:
1 Front driving/fog lights
2 Hella 4k's on bumper
3 Rear fog lights
4 Fuel door

I'll play with the switches and see which style I like to see if I need to order the cruise and aux light switches.

Thanks all,
Shane
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:16 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

well, i really want to move the fuel door thing to the center 6-packer.
i still forget to open the damn thing at the gas station. and it's easier to open from the passanger door. LOL

Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:43 AM
Rob Davison

Ho,

Can you do me a favor and see if the Hazard button from a disco2 plugs into the harness from the disco1?

I put the RRC 6 pack in and moved my clock and hazard to the right, but the harness doesn't reach. I'm either going to have to rig a harness from an old discovery or see if a disco2 button will fit in my RRC 6pack. I believe it will.

Rob
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Snwbord24

John,
I see what you're saying about the different style of switch. I have to agree that I do like the cruise click-on/click-off more than the aux light momentary style. That's a slippery slope, you'll have me wanting to change out all my switches for that style just to be consistent.
Shane
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

rob, i'll check it out when i have the stuff out. what i can say is, the connector for the disco2 "6-packers" are same as the disco1 switches.
which leads me to conclude that all use the same type connectors.

shane, it's an awesome thing to have little lights and indicators on all switches. total factory stuff.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwbord24
That's a slippery slope, you'll have me wanting to change out all my switches for that style just to be consistent.

Well, not necessarily. There's your washer switch. If you made that one a clicker it would be odd.

Other switches are also better in the momentary type. Your rear fog switch, for example, is probably better the way it's set up from the factory. When you turn off your engine, the rear fogs turn off and the switch resets. Same for your factory front fogs inside your front bumper.

For lights like your 4000 Cornerings, I like the clicker type of switch wired independently of the ignition because you will likely want to be able to ignite these lights without having the ignition "on".
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Snwbord24

Got it, makes complete sense to me. My main concern is using the lights whenever I want, unlike the factory fog lights. I definately want to ignite them with the vehicle off and I don't want them to turn off when my brights are on like the factory front fogs do. I definately won't be tapping off the ignition for them.