Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Eric Siepmann

OCC Nike Armstrong

Can't wait to see how this turns out. This season looks to be interesting.

EwS
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:12 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, I watched that episode last night as well. I wonder if Lance Armstrong will even ride that bike. It sounds more like a Trek/Nike/Giro bike than a Lance Armstrong bike to me, with the bike to be auctioned off eventually to a willing buyer by the Lance Armstrong Foundation or something.

Did you see those guys butchering that Trek TT bike? I couldn't stop laughing when they flipped the bike upside down to install the front tire. And poor Senior jacking up those front hub cones. All of those free Snap-on tools in the shop, and so little understanding and skill.
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
kai

here, now you don't have to wait till next week:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leno2.jpg (34.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg leno1.jpg (43.8 KB, 160 views)
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:16 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh man, that thing is hideous. You would think they would put some cycling touches on it or something. I don't see how that thing even has anything to do with Lance Armstrong, other than the shape of the gas tank.

The right-hand chain drive is there, but what about a black disc rear wheel or something? Or what about a machined aluminum front wheel in an aero tri-spoke pattern or something? Or what about spoked wheels with radial front and radial/1x in the rear with bladed spokes or something? Or maybe a bar riser that looks like the goose neck on a road bike? Or maybe a springer front end with raked forks, just to get some sort of cycling lines in the frame? (And that extra top tube that lies just below the gas tank just ruins the lines of that frame for me.) Or what about a solid front fork so that it looks exactly like a bicycle? I mean, it's not as if that bike is going to get ridden anyway. Or maybe put the oil tank on the down tube and shape it to look like a watter bottle? Or maybe fab up some giant quick-detach skewers for the wheels? Just anything related to cycling. Just throw me a bone. Anything. But then again, Junior and Senior showed how much they know about bicycles on last night's episode.

Disappointing.
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Str0ud

I wanted to see some pedals instead of foot pegs at the least.
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:30 AM
KVT

Cool

Yeah , we had Lance at Headquarters right before I left Discovery and its allllll about the press. This Bike is just an extension of that. The bikes have just been an advertising vehicle for the most part but they stayed interesting. I think you will see it start to get pretty lame as that becomes more the goal.....

Kyle
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:14 AM
alcruz

Kinda reminds me of a wasp or a bumble bee.....
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:07 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I can't help but think that the people who paid for that bike were disappointed with that bike. Trek sent over a full TT bike to OCC, Giro sent an Armstrong helmet (a helmet nobody else in the world may use), and Nike gave the OCC crew demonstrations of Armstrong's shoes. Presumably, Trek, Giro, and Nike did these things to give Pauley inspiration and ideas. How many of these things were incorporated into the bike? One: the helmet. And that one was a no brainer.

In the big picture, the sponsors got the air time they wanted so their money was probably well spent, but the bike itself is just disappointing.