Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Victor Biro

Mike,

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get back home (in Miami. Back home on Sunday).

The Diamond K400 (http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k601.html#400) just slips on to the edge of the door, like a trunk lip mount. 4 set screws clamp it down. I added a length of wire braid attached to the hinge mount for a grounding strap. This was critical for HF operations. Originally I could only tune down to 6m on the ATAS-120. After the grounding strap it tunes from 40m to 6m.

I am also about to do a trip to the Arctic in February (http://www.landroveradventure.com/to2tuk/) where I have some concerns regarding the mechanical functioning of the ATAS, so I will be running a 102" stainless steel whip with a Yaesu FC-40 antenna tuner.

Regarding the on-glass, i would think along the lines of a clamp on mount for the roof rack. The rack should provide a decent ground plane at 144 and 440MHz, so additional grounding may not be necessary. I would stick with something like the Comet SBB-1NMO (http://www.cometantenna.com/products...ID=4&childID=4). It is rubberized, so it seems to be standing up to the trees that hit it when I'm off-road.

Victor
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Old February 20th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Oh man, I knew it was just a matter of time before we saw a call sign vanity plate. In Illinois, you can announce to everyone that you are a radio geek. I guess I could just apply for a vanity plate with my call sign. I mean who would have taken KC9GZG as their vanity plate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amateur_ham_radio.jpg (4.7 KB, 229 views)
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Oh man, that's terrible.

Interestingly enough, my license plate is a ham radio licensee plate for CA.

I guess even the nerds in CA are more vain than the nerds in IL. LOL
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM
michael

Vow

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2671999

I got my call sign today from the FCC... KG6WTR

Who's next?

Dammit Craig.

I have been putting this off for too long. I hereby vow to reconnect my old Kenwood TM707a to my new DSII and get a f****** license within the next 45 days.

There.
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM
RKurk

A critique/comments/experience on my VHF installation for those considering where-how-what to do one for their Disco. Check out the attached pictures as reference.

The radio, an ICOM IC V8000 is mounted dead center on the ceiling above the rear view mirror (picked up the idea from a Camel Trophy vehicle photo). I have an SE model Disco II therefore no sunroof/sunroof switches to get in the way. The plus is that the radio is accessible, available to both the driver and passenger. The downside is that it is at the fringe of peripheral vision if you want to use the display and controls on the panel while driving. Offsetting this is that the unit can be used effectively via the mic controls.

I purchased this model because of its 75w max output. Logic-justification … if you’re in trouble and in the middle-of-nowhere the more punch the better. In hindsight a better purchase might (just maybe) have been a 2m/70cm dual band unit and or one with a detachable head unit which gives you more mounting options. Suggested mounting point for removable head unit might be on the dash near the center. In my setup a GPS unit currently occupies this space.

The antenna is mounted on an SD rack using a Diamond K540 mount (see picture) and a Comet SBB5 antenna. I also have a spare Comet SBB1 ‘rubber duck’ type antenna as backup. The SBB5 antenna is 37 ½” in length and while it presents a good target for trees I have yet (in two years) to whack it hard enough to cause any damage. The Diamond mount is adjustable (in my installation it moves forward-backward) so if the antenna is hit hard enough the mount (at the adjustment-pivot point) will tend to ‘give’ backwards. The decision to place the antenna on the rack was to get it as high as possible and without obstructions. The SBB5 is a compromise of height, db gain, power handling, and is very discrete (avoiding the cell tower/NASA ground station look). The one change I would probably make is to mount it on the passenger side versus the driver’s side. The antenna can get in the way when lifting larger items, such as Pelican cases, to and from the rack via the ladder.

All considered the installation has worked quite well. The VHF was purchased primarily as an emergency method of communicating in remote areas. I am continually surprised at the range that is has. I can routinely reach repeaters that are 35+ (“as the crow flies”) miles away while I am at my house, which sits a narrow valley, surrounded by hills (definitely no line-of-sight to the repeater).

Hope these comments are of value.

Rich K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0140.jpg (92.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0141.jpg (58.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0147.jpg (65.5 KB, 53 views)
Old February 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM
RKurk

Clarification on my earlier post. My Disco II is an SD not SE model (I type too fast !) and the Diamond antenna mount is adjustable in two dimensions. I made it sound like it will only move in the front-rear direction as mounted. It can also be adjusted left-right if needed. The mount could be turned 90 degrees and placed on a front-to-rear rack tube and still provide the 'give' needed if you hit something hard (although hitting it all should be avoided).

Rich K.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM
michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabiro
Mike,

I mounted my control head for a Yaesu FT-857 just in front of the diff lock lever, and the transiever in the recess between the tail light and the rear wheel.

Victor

I am mounting mine -- do you have a picture of thatcontrol head install you could post? I would like to see it. Thanks

Michael
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Just a little something to keep the who's next thread moving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC9GZG.jpg (69.0 KB, 118 views)
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Victor Biro

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Victor

I am mounting mine -- do you have a picture of thatcontrol head install you could post? I would like to see it. Thanks

Michael

Michael,

Sorry about that. Missed this thread, and posted the on another:
FT-857 in front of Diff Lock on my 98 DI

This is with the Diff Lock engaged in Low. About an inch to spare:

The ATAS-120 on a k-400 mount:

And the Larsen NMO-2/70B on the Roof:

You've probably figured out what you were going to do by now, but it may help someone else that may be curious.

Victor
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

My head hurts from trying to figure out antenna/antennae options on my D90. I'm not quite sure what to do.
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

damn victor, john just took 30 minutes of my damn time telling me about all these little antenna options!

Old November 16th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

When I see the word antennae, I get a little scared.
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Rightly so!
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old November 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Mike-

Very cool license plate. Is it like California where it's not a true vanity plate and you don't have to renew your license plate every year?
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
When I see the word antennae, I get a little scared.

Would you prefer "octopuses"?

OK, here is my dilemma. As a lowly Technician, I have 6m, 2m, and 70cm privileges. So naturally I would like to take advantage of the 6m privilege if practicable. (I also want to get my general license so I have HF privileges if the antenna thing is practicable.) Getting the proper antennae for these applications is easy. My dilemma is that I'm trying to balance aesthetics with function. The HF antennae are really tall.

One antenna option would be something like the Diamond CR8900A:

That antenna does 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm bands. I believe it requires a duplexer, which is not a big deal to me because the duplexer would be hidden with my Icom 706MkIIG somewhere inside the vehicle. But three things trouble me about that Diamond CR8900A:

(1) The CR8900A is silver in color. I called Diamond and asked if a black version was available and the answer was no. The guy told me to paint the antenna black, which I won't do. The silver color is not a big deal, but I would prefer a black antenna because I think the black color makes the antenna less visible and there's less of the "ET Phone Home Antenna" look.

(2) The CR900A is 50" tall. I would probably mount my antenna or antennae on top of the roof rack flooring. 50" above my roof rack is seriously tall. My truck is 7' 7" tall, which is already very tall. But I can currently go through drive-throughs and such without a problem. But that antenna would bring that to a dead stop. Imagine adding 4' or so my top of my roof rack flooring. My truck would be about 11' tall. That's too beaucoup for me.

(3) Diamond Antenna rates the CR900A as "not suitable for offroad use", presumably because of its length and weight will put too much side load on the antenna base and damage it.

That's one option. A second option is a tri-band antenna like the Comet EX-510B:

The EX-510B covers the 6m, 2m, and 70cm bands. I would give up 10m but I don't currently have 10m privileges anyway. The EX-510B is a black in color, which I dig, and is also shorter in height at 39". That's still really tall on top of my truck, but it's better than having a 50" antenna on top of my truck.

That's option two. Option three is the baby antenna, something like this:

This will give up the 6m band, and will handle only 2m and 70cm. But the antenna is only 14" tall.

So, as you can see, I'm struggling with the height vs. bandwidth issue. Right now, I'm tending toward the baby antenna, and also fitting a 14" cb wire antenna like this one to match the baby 2m/70cm antenna:

So many options. My head hurts.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Yeah, I believe that its a one time charge of like $8 to get the plate and then you just renew the plates like normal. They make you submit a copy of the FCC license to get the plate.

What I like about the WA plate is the only difference from a standard plate is that it just has the call sign on it instead of the normal numbers and letters. In IL the plate would have the call sign and the words "HAM RADIO" on it. No thanks!

At least in WA only the geeks know that you are a geek.

John, I'm not sure about in Cali, but here 6M is dead. My Yaesu HT has 6M capabilities so I've spent some time trying to find anybody on there. Its dead air even on the local repeaters. I'm not sure about 10M, but I'd investigate the benefits of operating on the frequency bands first and then determine whether you need 6M or 10M and go from there.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if this 6m and 10m thing is worth the hassle. I'm more concerned with 2m and 440 (the bands we'll be using on our runs) and FRS and CB (the bands everyone else will be using) than anything else. Those are the bands I'll be using the vast majority of the time I think.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I need to modify my IC-208 to be able to trans/rec on FRS/GMRS frequencies.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

Old November 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Uh hem. That would be illegal.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nohear
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

Old November 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Victor Biro

John,

The ATAS-120 that I have is a screwdriver antenna that covers from 40m to 70cm when you use a dyplexer. I have kept with two antennas.

Is it the best antenna you can get for HF? No, but the alternatives are just not practical for off road use.

I have the Diamond rubber dual-band NMO antenna that replaces the NMO-2/70 when I'm off road. It is a bit shorter and is better in tight brush.

Behind the spare tire is a Yaesu FC-40 antenna tuner, and there is a 3/8"-24 thread mount that I can screw everything from a firestick CB antenna to a 102" stainless whip. All can be tuned for HF to 6m. How effective they are is another story.

BTW, If you pick up the Yaesu FT-857 brochure it features a NAS D110 as the vehicle. They mounted the ATAS-120 to the exterior rollbar.

Victor
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Aaah, so an antenna tuner hidden beneath the spare wheel. That's an idea......
Old November 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I was searching for antennae and found this interesting one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...antm/3998.html

Now, 68" tall is admittedly huge, but for an antenna to handle three different HF bands plus 6m, 2m, and 70cm, all without radials or seriously ET Phone Home indicia is pretty bad ass.
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:17 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I was Googling this HMC-6S radio and found some interesting stuff. For example, peep this:

That six-bander HMS-6S can disassemble into two separate pieces. That's huge to me. 68" is definitely too beaucoup to store inside my dinky truck, but 34" is definitely doable. And the 20m coil on top of the antenna can be removed as well, so I think the broken-down three main sections would be considerably shorter than 34" long.

There are more a lot more pics and specs on this page:

http://www.gcnradioaficion.com/comun...dol_hmc_6s.htm

Now I'm thinking of that 14" baby antenna duo for 99.99999% of my radio uses, with good clearance for trails and also around town, as well as sufficient Tx power for our communication needs around town and on the trail.

I could easily hook up antenna switches for both the HF and UHF/VHF outputs on my radio, so that I could switch from my baby antennae to this HMC-6S, and then run those switched outputs to a duplexer and then to the HMC-6S Then I would have a separate mount on the center of the roof rack that would normally go unused, but would be ready for for this HMC-6S for emergency use or for when I feel like geeking it up on the HF bands from a stationary station. I probably wouldn't use this antenna regularly because of its great height and it doesn't look to me to be sturdy enough for offroad use. This antenna is rated for Tx power greater than my radio puts out, so I could transmit on the HF bands at full power.

Routing three different wires to my roof rack could be a pain, but I think it would be worth it. This set-up would also eliminate the requirement for an antenna tuner on the roof rack (yuck).

Hmmmm....