Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM
allenmj

Question universal joint making noise

hello i am new to the u joint thing, i have found u joints for $17 and $60. it is my front drive shaft that is making noise.
any advice would be great. 99 d2.

mark
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:19 AM
brianw

U-Joint

Not sure if the 99's are like my 01' but I recommend replacing anything down there with a part that's greaseable. Stock is not and is the reason my u-joint crumpled like a steering wheel at mere 40K miles. Got it replaced under-warranty with the exact same joint - and will probably have to do what your doing in another 40 or so with my wallet.

When you get it swapped out - please let us know how it went and what you ended up with. I'd like to keep a record of what everyone ends up doing.

Good luck,

Brian
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Mark, check your front driveshaft carefully as it might be getting ready to grenade. The Disco2 front driveshaft is not greaseable at the transfer case end, and that CV is right next the cat and bakes. Even if your driveshaft is fine, replace the u-joints with greaseable ones. Bill Davis @ Great Basin Rovers sells the replacement u-joints as well as rebuilt Disco2 front driveshafts.
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:06 PM
allenmj

thanks everyone, this is the first major problem that ive had and i was kind of panic-ed. i stopped driving it and took it apart and it went to the driveshaft shop. they said that it was pretty bad. they are getting greasable front and replacing the double cardon thing. i will have it back on thursday ,and it really sucks that it is snowing and with the new roof rack it wont fit in the garage!!

mark