Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I don't give a damn about Robby Gordon

The downgrading of Paris-Dakar coverage this year is worse than just delayed coverage. The commentating is lame and the undue attention given to the American competitors really bothers me. I'm assuming that Red Bull somehow sponsors the programming and therefore demands disproportionate airtime for their team members?
This reminds me an awful lot of that nasty period for WRC when Speedvision became Speed Channel and they lost the good commentary. Now they've stepped it up with more hours of coverage and Nicky Grist as the expert voice over so maybe there's hope for the PD viewing in the future.
Who is this masshole from Southie that does the field interviews in this current coverage of Dakar? He is totally lame. But worse than his simple minded questioning are the people he interviews. I want to see the people that are actual CONTENDERS. PD veterans who dedicate themselves to this race and have the endurance and the technique to finish and win. Nani Roma, Shinozuka, Alfie Cox, Jutta Kleinschmidt, Stephan Peterhansel and the rest.
Robby Gordon just irks me to no end. So the guy races a bunch of different disciplines and is fast early on. Does that mean he has a shot? NO. He crashed bad early and went from 2nd to 101st. He's toast. It's over. Why? Because, Dakar is a discipline unto itself. What is required here doesn't translate from other types of racing. He risked to much for speed and lost big. The same reason Colin McRae can't finish the race. Sure he's a fast WRC driver but he crashes A LOT. In WRC that is bad but the damage is limited. In PD it takes you completely out of the running. He did it last year and he did it again this year. He won't ever be a Dakar winner because he's just too much rally. Not to mention he's a total ass.
Interview the actual race leaders. Tell me how THEY are doing and what' they're thinking. If you don't speak French or Italian or German then get a translator!!!
I think even with the shorter route and lots of Liaisons this could still be a great race this year but I'd never know because all I get to watch is Robby and some wicked loser sitting on camels.
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

So... what are you trying to say?
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Larry

I tried sitting through the Dakar racing on the OLN channel on Sunday night and it was pretty bad. It was not what I expected. The first thirty minutes were all field interviews by some guy asking dumb and boring questions. I was expecting more focus on the team leaders, vehicles, techniques and the terrian to be encountered. I'll stick to my Dakar 2 video game, for X-BOX.
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:38 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

For me the OLN Dakar coverage is hit or miss. The coverage of the actual Dakar Rally is much worse than the Speed coverage. But then again, OLN covered the Red Bull-KTM squad's trials, which I really enjoyed. So I'm pretty ambivalent about the OLN coverage overall.

As shitty as it is, it's still better than no coverage at all.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
As shitty as it is, it's still better than no coverage at all.

well look who's settling.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sort of like Iron Chef America?
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Too much protesting shows your true colors, Jack. We know you're really a rabid NASCAR fan and only watch Paris-Dakar to see Robby Gordon...
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Holy fuck. Did you guys hear about this?:

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...UTO_Dakar.html
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Heard that. He kept saying it was to be his last Paris-Dakar race but kept racing. Leaves a wife and two kids. KTM fans remember 2001 and 2002. He'll be missed.
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

damn.
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Doug W

Last year the feed was daily for all 17 days, and was not partial to any one nationality or driver. We should complain.

FYI, SpeedTV covers WRC, and for the last 3 years they attempted to tailor the coverage to the US market using US commentator voice over the WRC official feed. This year however, they've given that up (Hurrah!) and gone back to 95% UK voice over. Nice! I'm hoping the change this year was due to all the snarling from the audience, but it's more than likely they realized that tailoring the show to a 'US' market doesn't work, 'cause folks that watch this stuff prefer the official feeds. We need OLN to wake up too. The way it is, it's like a 5 hr. commercial for RedBull.

Anyone hazard a guess as to who A.S.O. is? I saw them in the credits, and I bet they're the ones supplying helicopter, helmet-cam and in-car to OLN. I'd like to drop them a note. Grrrr.

Doug W.
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:13 PM
v22guy

Hopefully Red Bull will not contaminate F1 this year. They swallowed the Ford / Jaguar team in hopes of making it happen.