Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 14th, 2005, 08:41 AM
michael

Recovery Strap Replacement

Took my daughter snowboarding yesterday, and ended up helping two vehicles get unstuck, both of which had slid of the road into a soft snowy shoulder. As a side bar to my question, I have to credit my old VHS copy of Burke's "Unstuck!" for helping me see how to address the physics of the situation. (For a brief moment at the resort there I was "the man!")

This is the 5th time in 4 years that I have used my yellow recovery strap. I used it three times on the Hole in the Rock trip, and now twice. It is kept folded in my pelican case in the rear of the DSII.

What dictates a recovery strap replacement? Should it be replaced regardless of use every couple of years or so? Should it be replaced after a certain number of uses? I could really see when I was yanking the 4 Runner out, that you certainly do not want strap failure during an operation.

The strap is not frayed; both visual kinesthetic inspection does not indicate any weak points.... But I cannot imagine a visual inspection revealing anything of substance.

I just do not want to keep blindly using the strap without awareness.

Thanks

Michael
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

So long as your strap is not cut, abaded, rotted, or left sitting in the sun for long periods of time, you can still use it. There is no set number of pulls a strap is rated for. So long as it's in good shape, it's still useable.
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
So long as your strap is not cut, abaded, rotted, or left sitting in the sun for long periods of time, you can still use it. There is no set number of pulls a strap is rated for. So long as it's in good shape, it's still useable.

Thanks John.