Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 11th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

oh no, i have steel shafts for the irons.

the graphite shafted woods are some pimp metal woods that my father bought cuz his friends thought they were cool. turns out, he couldn't hit them worth shit. so i scored. and they work ok for me.

i think the wood that worked best for me was a tour burner taylor made... i think 8.5 degree... was so long ago i dont' even remember.

Old March 11th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Snwbord24

Ahh, another reason to try and get stationed in San Diego. More people to call me a hacker on the golf course. Stansell and I try to play at least once a week right now. Maybe if one or both of us get stationed down near there we'll set a round up sometime.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:56 PM
stansell

Purely because we are on the subject of golf and hybrid clubs

So, Shane and I are playing the back nine last Tuesday. Shanes having a rough day, the balls aren't flying straight for him. So he pulls out his hybrid Nike club to tee off with, just to keep it in the fairway. He chunks it and in a fit of pique, tosses his club. Now, he meant to toss it about ten feet, unfortunately, he released the club too late and it flew straight up in the air and lands forty feet up in a tree, thirty foot out in a branch. Picture the look on his face. Trying my best to be supportive, I suggested he better break out his climbing shoes to recover his expensive hybrid club. Man, wish I had a camera, whatchin him climb that pine

P.S. I was waiting for a good time to work this story into the forum, thanks for beginnning the golf storyline. Also note I worked hybrid clubs into the story, to be consistent with the thread.
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Snwbord24

SHIT, I didn't even think about you responding with that crap. Thanks Rob.
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
stansell

No problem. I hear sharing is cathartic.
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Snwbord24

Unless you're sharing your golf club with a tree
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think "hacker" is more an issue of attitude than of scores. One can be a 90-100 player and not be a hacker. Many people shoot 90-100 but are superb playing partners. A player who shoots 90 takes only one more stroke per hole than somebody who shoots par, and very very few people shoot par. In fact, I believe an honest 90 score to be pretty damn good. I'll bet the vast majority of golfers could not do it.

When I think "hacker", I think more of the golf slobs than of high scorers. I'm sure you've seen the types.

What of the golfer who spends $50 on green fees, takes off work and foregoes his income for that day, spends $10 for a hot dog and coke at the snack shack, loses $20 or more to his playing partners, goes out to dinner with his buddies and blows another $50, and yet he he won't play with good golf balls? This sucker plays Top Flite or Pinnacle balls because they're cheap and he refuses to play Titleist or some other top-quality balls (and there are lots of them around today). I have never understood this niggardly attitude toward golf balls. With a Top Flite, scoring is almost impossible. The Top Flite is so hard and slippery it literally skips off the face of wedges and putters. Oftentimes this hack will have some ridiculously expensive clubs like Honma or S-Yard, which can cost more than $1k for a driver.

This golfer's cousin is the golfer who picks up your ball, even though you're walking right toward your ball and your ball is in the middle of your fairway. But this sucka will drive his cart (of course) across to your fairway and pick up your ball. Even though you're playing a Titleist Pro V1 #7 with your personal Sharpie mark on it, and he's playing a yellow Pinnacle #1 with a range stripe on it and a smile in the cover, the mofo just HAS to pick up your ball and check to see if it's his. Then he drops your ball in a divot and drives away and you're left hitting your only pure drive of the day from a divot. Of course you don't move your ball because, silly you, you actually play by the Rules of Golf.

I can't stand golfers who must pick up a ball to identify it. How hard is it to look at a ball to see if it's yours? These fucks pick up your ball and then toss it back when they realize it's not their ball they just picked up. These guys invariably play winter rules anyway, so moving the ball to them is of no consequence. They think the rest of the world is just as hacker-like as they are, so they don't think they're doing any damage. I believe these hacks actually pick up their balls because they're going to get a fresh lie every time they pick up their ball and then place it down again. They pick up their balls and pretend they're identifying it, but they're really stealth cheating.

And speaking of moving the ball, what of the hacker who moves his ball from a divot, because he unilterally decided that a divot is ground under repair? You see, having to hit a ball from a divot is unfair, and life is supposed to be fair.

What of the golfer who spends $10 on a bucket of balls, hits them, and then takes off for home? He doesn't practice his short game at all. And then after each round when he's paying out his lost bets, he wonders why he can't improve at golf even though he practices every day. Even though he's a cheap fuck (all hacks are cheap fucks; there's a law somewhere), he won't practice putting even though it's free. It seems hackers are dumb fucks as well as cheap fucks.

What of the golfer who thinks he's being polite because he waits until you start swinging before he starts walking? For some reason, this SOB can't wait half a second longer until you actually HIT the ball before he starts walking. This moron can't realize that it would actually be better he had kept walking the entire time instead of stopping until you initiate your backswing.

What of the golfer who doesn't even know what a flag stick weighs because he's never lifted one? He won't tend the flag, even though he's the closest one to the cup. He won't pick up the flag, even though he holed out first.

What about the hack who shoots 100 but he's got a 1- and 2-iron in his staff bag, the same staff bag with his name embroidered on it, even though he's not a member of that particular manufacturer's staff. You see, 4- and 5-woods are for pussies. So he's got the 1-iron with him. This is the same guy whose wedges are just so WRONG for scoring. His lob wedge has like 45 degrees of bounce on it. This is also the same guy who has more than 14 clubs in his bag and doesn't think it's cheating. His staff bag also has dangling from it one of those ridiculous squeeze bottles. You know, those ones with the plastic bristles at the tip for cleaning club faces. Apparently, this hacker has never discovered that a wet towel works even better.

I'm also seeing a disturbing trend among hacks. Whatever happened to headcovers for woods? I realize the woods today aren't made out of persimmon and really don't require protection. But when I see a bag with wood heads sticking out and uncovered, I immediately think hacker. These guys apparently give up on headcovers because there are a million sky marks on their drivers anyway, so why bother? Get some headcovers. Strangely, many of the hacks without headcovers for their woods have headcovers for their irons. What a strange world.

And speaking of cheating, have you ever played with anyone who takes mulligans on the green? As if mulligans weren't bad enough, some guys have the nerve to retake putts. Unreal. They miss a three-footer and while the ball is still rolling they grab it with their putter head and retake the shot. When they make it on the second try, they actually count that putt as having made it. These hackers can't grasp the concept that hitting mulligans actually make one play worse, not better. How many mulligan masters have you played with who keep two sleeves of balls in their pockets at all times and are reaching for their mulligan even before finishing their first swing? And of course they don't count the mulligans. I'm sure you've played with the guy who seemingly shot 100, but he lips out on 18 and then wrenches in agony: "Shit! That last one was for 79!"

I also crack up at the stealth hacks. These are the guys who cheat but like to hide it. They play with non-conforming clubs like the Callaway ERC. They use undersized balls like the old Royal & Ancient size balls. They depend on tricks like this to score and consider these tricks essential, even though these clubs and balls probably make no difference at all to real scoring. But these hacks just love to rip on other hacks who carry more than 14 clubs.

What about the infomercial hacks? Their bag looks like some collection of infomercial gadgets. Their driver is the Killer Bee. They even have the Killer Bee spoon. Their wedges are those ones with the 100-grit sandpaper faces and square grooves. They use Winn grips and think these grips help their game. Of course, they gotta have the staff bag and their ball pocket is filled with Top Flites.

What of that hacker who couldn't hook the ball to save his life and hits high banana slices on every single shot. He slices his wedge shots. He slices his putts even. His swing is so outside-in it's scary. He asks you for your advice on the range. You hesitate at first but since he asked you about it, you tell him his swing is outside-in so he's putting side spin on the ball and that his swing path is actually adding loft to the club and that's why his balls fly skyward. You tell him he should be swinging inside-out and the ball will fly lower and curve the other way. He has a blank stare on his face. Then he actually smirks, as if you're the dumbass and you've just basically told him the world is flat. This guy is the cousin of the other hacker who sees you bomb 30 drives in a row at the practice range, and then he asks you what kind of driver you're using, as if that even made a difference.

What of the hacker who would sooner put a hole in his head than repair his ball mark on the green? Hackers by nature are terrible at what they do, so they are completely unaccustomed to hitting a green in regulation. It happens so rarely for them that when they actually accomplish it, the last thing going through their brains is to fix the ball mark. If, Heaven forbid, they should actually fix the ball mark, out comes the tee.

Did you ever play with some hack who hit at least 30 yards less than you did, but on every par-3 tee just HAD to ask you what club you were going to hit? Unreal. The proper response to these guys is "I don't know. Either a niblick or a mashie. You gonna hit your cleek?"

My favorites are the hackers who think they're cool. These are the guys who walk right up to the edge of the cup, stick their putter head into the cup, and then flick up the ball as if it were a cool thing to do. What about the hacks who think you're the dipshit because you use a coin to mark your ball on the green and they use that little button that comes with golf gloves. LOL. When you explain to them that the reason you use a coin is because you always mark the ball with heads up when you haven't moved the coin for another player, and you always use tails up when you have moved the coin for another player, and it's a penalty if you hit your ball from the moved position so you use the tails up as a reminder to move your ball back, all you get back is a blank stare. Penalty? What's a penalty? When you explain that you use a quarter when you're far from the hole so that you can find your marker more easily and you use an old penny when you're close to the hole to minimize distracting your playing partners, these hacks really start cracking up.

Aaah, I love golf. I should play more. I don't play at all any more.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Snwbord24

I've never heard of or seen anyone take a mulligan on the green . That's hilarious. And no coins for me, I like to annoy Rob with my University of Arizona ball marker. The bright white is key there. Of course I can just turn it over to the copper side but what fun would that be.

We play alot at the local military course. You wouldn't believe how many ball marks are on the greens there. I think our buddy Jim spends 3 or 4 minutes on every green repairing ball marks while we putt just so the next group can make some more and not repair them. It doesn't seem to be as bad at the only nice course in the area we play http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/Home/
Luckily the military rate is about $15 during the week (without cart of course). They require golf carts on the weekends before noon presumably to speed up play.
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Rob Davison

Quote:
To me real fun is exploration, games are for children.

excuses excuses. LOL

just go practice and take the golf game seriously. it's not just scoring. it's a self revealing moment. how true are you to your own self type thing.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

oh shit, sorry rob, i edited your message by mistake and can't make it go back !!

Old March 12th, 2005, 11:46 PM
PCFRover

Quote:
I think "hacker" is more an issue of attitude than of scores.

So true.

Man what a great rant, it might be worthy of being published in a Golf publication that "Hacks" read for the tips to "fix" there game.

OBTW you can order a mixed set of 32/33's or what ever from Mizuno nowdays.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Rob Davison

Ho, It's probably better now, I look less like an ass.
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
Just to clairify. What's the differnce between a rookie and a hack? I've played 10-20 rounds of golf in my life and I hate it. All I can do is think about is how much I'd rather be doing smething else. I've played on realy nice course too. One is Latrobe Country Club. This is the Arnold Palmers home course and he lives right down the street from it. He will often be seen in the club house having lunch.

http://linkscountryclub.com/linksccp...c/latrobe2.jpg

Even this playing bothered me because I was under sever self imposed pressure not to look like an idot. This was probably the most tedious game of golf ever. I couldn't even enjoy the scenery.

That said, if no one is behind me and I fuck up a shot I am dropping another ball and seeing if I can do better. I don't see why this is so wrong. There are rules to all games but in the name of having fun we can forgo the rules when we have no real interest in the game itself. We are merly playing to do something. This is how I feel about every team sport on earth, except hockey. I rarely engage in any sporting activity because I want to get better or perfect the game. I just want to waist some time and this is what everyone else has has elected as fun.

To me real fun is exploration, games are for children.

Rob
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:04 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

"if no one is behind me and I fuck up a shot I am dropping another ball and seeing if I can do better. I don't see why this is so wrong. There are rules to all games but in the name of having fun we can forgo the rules when we have no real interest in the game itself."

Well, it's not "wrong" in the sense that you're not holding up anyone behind you, because there is nobody behind you. But you are undoubtedly holding up your playing partners and breaking their rythym. You're turning a foursome into a fivesome. It takes a while to hit a ball, even if you're a fast player. Just dropping a ball, lining up, and hitting the shot takes time. And then you have to fetch your first ball, which takes more time. Also, you're bothering your partners, who are presumably not hitting mulligans and taking their first, imperfect shots.

When one hits mulligans, he jacks up his game. Golf is largely a mental game. The ball is sitting stationary and one is under no time pressure to hit the ball. The game is basically the golfer against himself. When a golfer resorts to hitting mulligans, something happens inside his brain. He doesn't take dead aim for the first shot, because he knows he can always hit another shot. Thus his first shot tends to be a poor shot. This is a poor attitude for a golfer. He should concentrate on making his first shot count, because it does count.

Another thing that's wrong about hitting mulligans is that it negates the entire purpose of golf. Golf is a game of imperfections. No one, no matter how much he practices and plays, can hit the ball perfectly every time. Watch the pro's carefully and see how many fairways and greens they miss. They miss a lot more than one might think. The stuff they show on TV is only the good shots. If you see the pros in person, you'd be shocked how many mishits they have. They are close to perfect on the practice range, but on the course they aren't that different from the average player. They have to deal with bad lies and they're under tremendous pressure, so they mishit quite a lot.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
he jacks up his game.

alright this is starting to wear a little thin.
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Snwbord24

I finially remembered to get some payback for Rob's story about my tree club. Here's his golf bag. I took these this morning when were hacking up the course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file1.jpg (35.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg file3.jpg (34.0 KB, 206 views)
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

LOL.
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM
KI4WWU

A picture really does say thousands of words...

Old March 17th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Snwbord24

Well, at least he is playing Ping irons.
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm digging the scorecard clip board and the headcovers on the irons. LOL.

But don't you guys carry towels? Get the towels, man. How do you clean off the ball on the green? That's one of the few and great luxuries of golf. The Rules permit you to wipe down and clean the ball on the green and the tee. If you're playing during the day, wet one end of the towel and leave the other dry, and then hang the towel from one of your woods' shafts. The towel will also help protect the delicate graphite shafts on your woods. Irons are considerably shorter than woods are and the sharp edges of the irons (especially the short irons) often chip the woods' graphite shafts and can cause a catastrophic failure when you hit. Also arrange the bag so that the woods are on top and the iron heads aren't dangling onto the woods' shafts and chipping them up.

If you're playing in the mornings, there's no need to wet the towel as there's water galore. Just drag the towel on the ground and usually that's enough. But clean your ball every time the Rules permit. Your putts will roll truer and your drives will fly straighter when the ball is clean. You'll also be able to see better if the ball is damaged in any way. If it is, toss it or relegate it to your short game practice ball bin. Also, when you're playing put your ball in your pocket when you're walking from the green to the next tee. Your body heat will warm the ball a lot and the warmer ball will fly farther and feel better when you hit it. This is well within the Rules.

This reminds me of something. Back in the high school golf team days, we were playing a match against some other school I can't remember. But I clearly remember there was this one guy on the other team who routinely put the ball in his mouth to clean it once he was on the green. I'm serious here. He put the fucking ball in his mouth. I wonder what kinds of animal shit and chemical fertilizers went into his mouth every time he did that. Unreal.
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Snwbord24

There's a towel on the cart, it's just blocked by his enormous bag. I also carry a towel but that's not my bag in the background there. I can't imagine not having the towel with me. I like it to wipe the condensation from the outside of my beer can off my hands.
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM
stansell

Alllllrighty then,
I see I must mount a rousing defense of my golf bag (and pull cart), so here goes:

1. The Ping bag was a black market special (Ping shipped too many demo bags and some lackey in the clubhouse was trying to make a sleazy dollar). I was in the market for a new bag and I bit.

2. After buying said bag, I found out that all told, irons, woods and bag together weighs about four trillion pounds. No way am I going to just get a new lightweight bag, I mean c'mon, common sense has no place in this scenario. So, I bought a pull cart. I am still a young guy, but carrying that bag probably would have killed me by the fifteenth hole.

3. John, there is a towel on the bag, and no, there are no woods in there. I have sold out and bought the Nike CPR hybrids that I can hit between 200-230 yards straight as opposed to woods which have the dismaying characteristic of putting balls on the adjoining fairways when I hit them. I figure a slightly shorter drive which plays straight down the line is infinitely superior to a 20 yard gain in distance but played from the trees, water, etc.

4. I might add here, that Shane, yes Shane, also has a pull cart for his lightweight bag Hahahahahahahahaha. (with optional scorecard slot installed).

5. Alright, so this is not so much a defense as it is a rationalization. But, c'mon, everyone wants a little bling out on the golf course.

Now lets forget all of this and make fun of Shane. (Nice pics by the way, dick) I am bringing my camera for all further outings.
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh man. Dump that white vinyl huge ass Rodney Dangerfield POS wannabe staff bag. Sell it on ebay or something. Just dump it. Toss in the pull cart for free too, just to make it more appealling to prospective buyers. Get rid of it. Get a Hoofer or some other carry bag. That bag next to your bitchin TReK is just wrong.

Also, get a bigger towel. If the towel can hide behind the bag, even that huge ass white Moby Dick bag, the towel is too small. I always see golfers paying $10 for a "golf towel" at the hack golf shops, which makes me crack up. The towel is usually as small as a wash rag and has this cheeseball key chain type of clasp that holds the towel to the bag. Pah! Just get a big white towel, the kind you use to dry off after you shower, and then hang it from one of your clubs. Don't get some huge beach towel or anything. But get a big towel. These are like $1 each at Costco. Get the 12-pack. The cotton/poly cheapo towels work even better, as they "scrub" a little harder than 100% cotton towels. White only, please.

I just went to the pimp Nike Golf site and checked out those CPR thingies. EEEEEK! I think they're called CPR because you have to be resuscitated after seeing those monstrosities. I'm not quite sure I understand the concept of the CPR's either. I can see why the manufacturers would want to make hybrid clubs to replace long irons because long irons have very little loft and are hard to hit. But why not just get 4, 5, 7, etc. woods? These have been around as long as golf (there were no irons in the beginning of golf as the ball was the feathery and would grenade if skulled with an iron). These woods are very easy to hit, even from long grass and bad lies.

I hear your pain on the driver thing. The driver can be hard to hit. But I would recommend teeing it up with a 3-wood then. These are very easy to hit from a tee.
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM
stansell

John,
I would love to be able to hit woods, but unfortunately, that particular swing pattern has been left out of my DNA. WHen I picked the game back up after several years of not playing, I found that regardless of how much I tried, any wood inevitably sliced on me. My irons on the other hand are money. I can hit them long and straight.

Shane showed me his nike hybrid, and of course I was immediately skeptical. However, the swing is an iron swing, so I tried it out. Lo and behold, I was hitting the ball further than my best 4-iron shots with much nicer, softer trajectories. I am not saying this club is for everyone, but if you have trouble keeping the drives in the fairway with woods AND have a good iron swing, this club is pretty nice. So, no wood for me.

On the subject of PGA acceptance of the CPR hybrid; I will immediately stop using them the moment the PGA hands me my first paycheck.
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Hmmm, that sucks. While golf scoring is mostly short game, it's definitely fun to bomb woods down the fairways. I love reaching par fives in two. I usually three-putt the damn green, but it's fun nevertheless to reach a par five or a long par four in two.

Have you tried hitting steel-shafted woods? They're much shorter than graphite-shafted woods and are easier to control. My driver and spoon both have steel shafts. Today's clubs are so high-tech and the balls are just so awesome that the extra distance from graphite shafts really isn't needed.