Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Matt Taylor

Witness protection program? That's some funny shit. How can you not laugh at that?

What do you think he does over at Soy Sauce Customs?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttaylor
The Pings I play now, John, are a very compact head with minimal offset, which I like. And they are heavy like a forged club. I sacrifice some of what I like in a club for the forgiveness, I guess because I currently prefer winning my bets over playing my dream irons. Alright, so I'm a bit of sellout...

Matt, I'm still cracking up about those Pings. I knew they wouldn't work out. They never do.

In shooting there is a saying: "you can't miss fast enough". It's deeper shit than it might appear upon first glance.

The same might hold true for golf clubs. No club is ever going to be forgiving enough.

Stick with blades.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Matt Taylor

I certainly agree. Of course, I knew better when I bought the damn pings, but like I said earlier, sometimes I go the sucker route.

In fact, I have a friend who just started playing golf a year and a half ago. He got the equipment fever, as most golfers do -- and he's Chinese, so that makes it a bit worse. Chinese golfers love angles and equipment.

At any rate, racial profiling aside, he bought a set of Mizuno MP 30s. They call it a cavity back but it's more of a muscle back. My first instinct was to tell him that he shouldn't have bought them, etc., but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that he should play them. He needs to get the feedback. He needs to be able to feel when he's on plane. His scores might suck for a while, but in the long run he'll be better off.

My game got much better when I put the "game improvement irons" back in the closet where they belong. Plus, it's much more fun to play -- more feel makes golf much more fun. Forged, baby, forged. Forged and small -- those bigger iron heads just lead to trouble.

I deserve you bringing this up all the time. I should have known better, as this is my 3rd set of blades/smaller forged heads. So I've made this same mistake more than once, and you quoting my ridiculous rationalization is just punishment at least. You don't have to take so much pleasure in it, though.

This time, I'm not going back, ever.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

It happens to all of us.

I grew up with blades. My first set was MacGregor Tourneys. When this set was stolen, I had FG-17 Wilson Staffs. Then I tried cavities while back in college: Titleist DCI. That lame "Dead Center Impact" should have told me these were hacker clubs, but I didn't listen. What a mistake. I switched back to Titleist Tour blades. Then I caught the Mizuno MP-14 bug. Then I caught the Mizuno MP-33 bug.

I may fall prey to the new club thing now and again, but never again will I have a cavity club in my bag. What a sucker I was.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

I was about two years ago, but have had to change my name for witness protection so I would prefer not to have to revert to it. Hopefully this will not be a problem.

thanks,
will"

I love it.

LOL! Indeed.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Rover Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kendrick
oh man, witness protection, that's classic.

Geez. isn't that the truth???.

One of our volunteer screeners was telling me about taking information from someone who said that there wouldn't be any info on them (on file anywhere) because he had been in the CIA.

I looked at the screener and confidently informed him that if anyone tells you that, it is a total lie.

Apparantly, one of these nuts decided that he could get away with it. He showed up at Risk Management to attempt to obtain a county license for operating county equipment.

Of course, he was a total fraud.

They kept him busy for awhile to keep him occupied, but only long enough for the police to arrive and arrest him.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people think that they'll get away with these classic lies.

Best Regards Jamie, Blue, and Angel
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Matt Taylor

I started off playing blades, too. They were hand me downs from the 60s, when shafts were shorter and lofts were higher. It never bothered me -- in fact I liked them. I couldn't hit the ball well enough to know anything about how the club was affecting anything.

Then I hit some Ping Eye 2s, and I saved up to buy some and played them for years. Many new clubs came and went while I stayed with the eye 2s.

I then fell in love with MP 14s. But they were never fitted for me, and if you require a fitting that substantially different from standard, blades can be hard to hit. That's when my first real sucker experience happened (though you could probably argue that the Eye 2s were the first). Callaway X-12s. Ugh. They were fine for the first two weeks or so -- in fact I thought they ruled, because I was still swinging with the left over feel from the blades. But soon, not being able to feel the sweet spot or where the club was at the top made me very sloppy, and I couldn't figure out why I was sucking so bad.

So I ditched the Callaways and vowed never to go big again. I picked up some Clevelands that were forged, with barely any cavity back. I played those for about 4 years -- probably my best stretch of golf.

I started hitting those poorly, and it was mostly because they weren't upright enough. So I went to get fitted, and I got sold on those stupid Pings. Not by the salesman, but by my belief that since they weren't oversized that it didn't matter if they were forged or not. Sure enough, it was really good for a while until everything got sloppy again.

That's when I stumbled across a set of MP-33s that were one degree upright and an inch longer shaft. As soon as I started hitting these, I realized that I had been coming way off plane at the top for a long time. It was such a simple fix that I couldn't believe how I missed it. Yeah, I mishit these from time to time and it costs me, but the trade off is well worth it to me. I know where the club is at all times, and I have to be exact in order to hit the ball crisply. There is no room for sloppiness, so I'm forced not to be sloppy.

If I ever talk about getting something other than blades again, somebody tackle me.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

PING Eye 2's? Callaway X-12's? And don't forget that Scotty Futura. LOL. I see you have flirted with the Dark Side on several occasions.

I now believe that the only real innovations in golf technology pertain to the driver and the ball. Purported innovations in iron technology or putters or whatever are all way overrrated or nonexistent unless you're willing to play non-conforming clubs.

BTW, have you ever watched this movie?:

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/greatestgame/

I watched it last night on DVD. It was actually a good movie, much better than I had expected. Unlike Bagger Vance and Into the Sun, the actors in this one actually look as if they know how to play golf. Actually, they look pretty damn good. And the movie looks as if the people who made it play and understand golf. There are many special-effects moments of taking dead aim and such. The equipment is technically accurate as well.

The movie covers the stories of the professional Harry Vardon and the amateur Francis Ouimet, and how they meet at the 1913 US Open at Brookline. The movie is sort of a wannabe Chariots of Fire, but with golf instead of the Olympics. This movie doesn't rise to the level of Chariots of Fire, but it's a solid movie and entertaining.

I highly recommend it.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Matt Taylor

I'll have to check it out. I've seen it in the video store many times, but I've never rented it, mostly because golf movies bother the piss out me for the reason you alluded to -- none of the actors ever look like they know what they're doing.

Frances Ouimet's name was all over the book I read about Bobby Jones. He was like a wunderkind or something. I'll definitely check this movie out as I'd like to know more about Ouimet.

And, yeah, I've been to the darkside. My worst darkside experience? This is very embarrassing, but I'll cop to it: I bought a pair of Eagle Eye sunglasses from an infomercial. Yeah I said it. Eagle eyes. They were bulletproof, remember? That's the one that bothers me the most.

I'll never trust Jim Lampley again, unless it's a boxing telecast.

In my defense, at the time I bought the Eye 2s, they were the first mover on this whole cavity back thing -- the darkside was just beginning. It took a while to realize that a cast, cavity backed head created its own issues.

No excuse on the Futura though, or my second go round with Pings.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

It sounds as if your Eye 2's were like my "Dead Center Impact" Dark Side moment. What suckers we were.

And I still fall prey to the Dark Side on occasion. I'm sure you've experienced this. You borrow a friend's cavity 2-iron at the driving range just for shits and giggles. You hit these things and you can't miss. You boom shot after straight shot. Then you go black to your blade 2-iron and the results aren't nearly as good. Then you start thinking you could rule the galaxy as father and son with these irons.... And so and so is having a sale on the cavities.... One of your golf partners has been eyeing your blades for the past few months.... Your blades need regripping anyway....

Human weakness is a bitch.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Matt Taylor

That's definitely the way it goes down. But I'm past that now. After the latest Ping foray, I know to stick with something small and forged.

I won't even hit other people's drivers anymore. I don't want to be tempted. I like mine just fine, so I don't experiment.

I'm sure there are darkside moments in front of me, but not with irons.

And while I never liked DCI's very much, they weren't nearly as darkside as you're making them out to be.

Unless you had those huge ones with all the offset. Those were just as bad as some Callaways. But I seem to recall the first DCIs being pretty small, and weren't they forged?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

No way. The DCI's were Dark Side all right. They were the worst kind of Dark Side. They were Stealth Dark Side.

Take the some of Callaway irons, for example. The offset hosel. The advanced casting technology that permits the face to be thin for almost the entire surface. The almost hosel-less design for low center of gravity. Titantium construction with tungsten inserts for even greater perimeter weighting and resulting forgiveness. I see stuff like this and there's no way on earth I'm playing these. I can't believe they even meet the USGA's "plain in shape" requirement.

In contrast, take the DCI's. They're very blade-like in shape. At address they don't have the huge offset and their top line is relatively thin. They're slightly larger than blades but when I look at them, I don't start cracking up. Instead, I think to myself, "hey, that's not so bad. Even DL3 plays a DCI-like club."

Those are dangerous thoughts. The DCI's suck. They're rock hard. I'm positive they were cast. I had the stainless DCI's for 1-PW and the BeCU SW and LW. I played them for a few years and there wasn't even a single ding in them from the heads clanging around inside the bag. They were more forgiving than blades, so I hit them great in the beginning. Then I got sloppy and couldn't hit them any more. My iron game became terrible. I couldn't hit the green on long shots so there was no real advantage to using the cavities in the first place. Even worse, my short iron game suffered from my sloppiness, so I was scoring worse than when I was playing blades.

Later on I realized DCI stood for "Dead Center Impact". That was the last straw. I was playing hacker clubs. I dumped those things so fast my head was spinning.

I like hitting different clubs for shits and giggles, so I'll hit the latest and greatest cavities when I chance upon them. But the urge to switch back to cavities just isn't there.

Right now the only cavity in my bag is my Scotty Newport. I wish I could get that British Open Coronado, but it's too $$$$$ for me.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
craigc

damn - somehow i've completely missed out on all this golf talk - awesome! John, you crack me up with all the talk about hackers!! LOL! Last time I was in at the shop, I was telling Ho about a guy I played with who would lose his temper, throwing clubs and everything... will never play with him again!

I know you are a mizuno man but have you tried the clevelands new line the cg2's and the cg1's - really nice clubs. I also tried the new mizuno mp-60 i think that it is the sexiest irons out there right now, but i couldnt do it.... i had to buy the cg2's - they just felt better for me!

I currently play with the cg2's and i love them, softer feel than the mizuno mp-33 or the mp-60, which i like! I am also thinking about adding back in some blades to my bag... thinking of keeping the cg2's for my long irons and adding in cg1's for my short irons!

curious to see if you have hit these clubs John? and your thoughts?

as far as the woods i love the new technology - tee it about an inch higher (with the 460 cc drivers) and bomb it off the tee! so much fun!

it would be so much fun if EE could get a golf,shooting, wheelin weekend thing going!
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just Googled for the CG2 and CG1, and from the pics I would prefer the CG1. The blade shape doesn't look bad:

The offset doesn't look overly done either:

The CG2 isn't doing it for me though, sorry. If you must have a cavity, I think the MP-60 is a way nicer choice. Even better would be a set of real blades.

I wholeheartedly believe that anyone who consistently breaks 90 is better off playing full-on blades than cavities or half-cavities. From 7-iron down, there is no difference in forgiveness between the blades and cavities. For 5 and 6, there is a very minimal difference in forgiveness. The real difference between cavities and blades comes into play on the long irons, and how many 180+ yard approaches are there in a round? There aren't very many. Even when they happen, how likely are you to hit a green 180+ yards away? If you actually keep track, it's a lot less than you might think.

The vast majority of scoring shots, the shots that make or break a particular score on a hole, are from short range. That is why modern club sets include things like gap wedges, lob wedges, and superlob wedges. The courses are different now. The balls fly much farther than before. Golf has changed a lot in the past few decades. It's almost all driver, short irons, wedges, and putter now. The spoon and long irons are used very infrequently.

That's why it's important to use blades. The heads on the blades are smaller and easier to use in long grass and tight lies. Many of the cavity short irons have tremendous amounts of bounce on them, which makes them ill suited for use around the green. Also, cavities provide less feedback to the golfer on mishits, causing the golfer to become sloppy over time. Any greater forgiveness cavities have is outweighed by their inappropriateness for finesse shots and the golfer's sloppiness created over time by using them.

Go blades.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Matt Taylor

Cleveland makes some sexy shit. Their blades get a lot of play on tour. I'm not sure anymore how indicative that is of club quality, though -- the PGA tour guys can hit anything, and they play the stuff that they get paid the most to play. It's on the smaller tours that you see guys playing what works the best. Still, I like Cleveland stuff. I'm currently hitting the 400cc Launcher as my driver and I have no complaints. (I did have to add a strip of lead tape to so I can feel where the clubhead is at the top, though).

One of the ways that the new ball has changed the game is that less people play blades. The biggest benefit of blades used to be their superior ability to work the ball left to right, right to left, etc. The ball nowadays doesn't want to work as much as it wants to stay straight, so a lot of long time blade users have moved away from playing blades.

Craig C is right on about teeing it high -- the sweet spot of these new, huge drivers is way up on the face. You gotta buy those long ass tees now.

John, I know it makes you sick, but more and more guys are playing hybrid clubs instead of long irons. I personally hate the way these hybrids set up: they're not round and the toe looks heavy. But apparently, they're easy to hit. Maybe the new set of irons will consist of 5-SW in blades and a couple of hybrids. I agree with you that from 6 iron down, there is no reason to need more forgiveness than a blade offers, if you've been club-fitted properly.

Clubs that have the proper lie angle for you make a huge difference -- much more difference than brand or style.
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:38 PM
craigc

Hey Matt - you are right about hybrids at address - they just dont seem right!? i have the callaway heavenwood 3h in my bag right now... just trying it out- i must say it is extremely easy to hit from anywhere, even cuts through the thick rough too... just not sure about it yet...

by the way i love Roger Dunn's for customer satisfaction, they allow you to play a set of irons for 90 days and if you dont like them - you can bring them back and try out a new set.... speaking of that, just got back from the range... mp-60 or cg2 I'm back to this...

damnit john - i thought i was done but now i have 20 days left and i have to decide do i stick with the cg2's or take them back and get the mp-60!! cause today at the range they felt even better - just like butter when you hit that sweet spot...

I think i might pop down to EE this saturday and show off my new MP-60's sooo sexy!!

here is a good read for those who want to get better - John nailed it! it is the short game that separates good from better players!

Dave Pelz's short game bible: Master the Finese Swing and Lower your score
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigc

I think i might pop down to EE this saturday and show off my new MP-60's sooo sexy!!

hey craig, come on down when you get a chance. I want to check them out. I feel that my irons need replacement.

Old August 7th, 2006, 04:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigc
damnit john - i thought i was done but now i have 20 days left and i have to decide do i stick with the cg2's or take them back and get the mp-60!! cause today at the range they felt even better - just like butter when you hit that sweet spot...

Man, what club doesn't feel like butter when you hit the sweet spot? Every club feels pure when you hit the sweet spot.

I say dump those CG2's and get a set of Mizunos.

For which Mizuno set to get, it's very hard for me to say because I haven't seen the Mizunos in person yet. A lot of times, a club can look good in a photo but when you see it in person there are things you don't like about it. The MP-33's are a good example. I love my MP-33's, but I think they have too much offset in the hosel. That offset doesn't really show up too well in the photos, but it's something you notice immediately with the club at address. Another thing that photos can't convey is how a club sits on the ground. I fucking can't stand it when a club won't rest straight on a concrete floor. Few things piss me off more. Also, the size of a club head can't really be conveyed in pics.

But from looking at the pics alone, I like the MP-32's much more than the MP-60's. The MP-32 has a very traditional look to it with the rounded edges and shiny chrome finish. The depression in the back looks almost cosmetic it's so shallow and small.

The MP-60 looks to me like a 21st Century interpretation of the DCI. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the MP-60 head was a little larger than standard blade size too.

There's a video of the MP-60 features on this page:

http://www.cutmuscle.com/

From looking at the pics of the club head and the descriptions about it, it looks to me as if the MP-60 is a hacker's club. Again, I'd have to see the MP-60 in person but my initial impression is mildly negative. The head looks a little large to me. It seems the topline would be thicker at address because of the cavity. And all Mizunos have too much offset.

I also don't like the finish on the MP-60. It looks to be a brushed chrome finish instead of the shiny chrome. I prefer the mirror polished chrome. It's easier to clean and the shine wears away with use and as the heads get dinged up from clanging in the bag.

Remember the old Mizuno T-Zoids? Total hacker clubs. To me, the MP-60 looks as if it's going to be the T-Zoid of the 21st Century.

So I prefer the MP-32 to the MP-60. Even better than the MP-32 would be the new MP-37. I haven't seen these in person either, but they appear to me to an MP-14 with some styling cues from the MP-29's toe area and muscleback shape. These seem nice.

Best of all would be a set of MP-33's. These are my favorite of all of the Mizuno irons I've seen and played with. They don't really hit any differently from MP-14's, but the muscleback has a more elegant shape and the clubs are nice to look at.
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Matt Taylor

I gotta tell ya, I'm not that big a fan of Dave Pelz.

I think anybody that practices their short game will improve. The fact that the short game comprises over 65% of shots in a round is a good point, and Pelz does a good job of stressing this.

But most of his numbers and analysis are psuedo-science. He speaks as though he's applied the scientific method, but there his points are riddled with holes, fallacy, and non-truths.

If someone reads a Pelz book and practices their short game accordingly, they will certainly improve. But my argument is that if they practiced their short game that much without the Pelz methods, they would still improve.

I've read "Putt Like the Pros" and was at first very impressed. But I make more putts when I just try to die the ball into the hole. Pelz's assertation is that the greeen is a lumpy doughnut, specifically the "volcano" area around the cup, and that a putt that is hit hard enough to travel past the hole has a better likelihood of staying on track. What's his number, like 2.4 feet past? 1.7 feet past? The best putters - Ben Crenshaw, Loren Roberts - all putt the ball to die at the hole. It seems that Pelz's theory doesn't translate to real life. Certainly my real life experience proves otherwise.

I just think that Pelz is using numbers to explain things that can't be explained that way. The best short game players are feel players. They're artists, not scientist.

I like to practice with one club (in my case a SW) and hit all short game shots with it. That way I have the feel of one club that I have to master. Pelz wants you to decide between 4 wedges for each shot, with various ways to hit all 4.

I find it easier to use just a sand wedge. I can hit it high and soft, low and running, or low with a skid that stops on the second contact with the ground. To me, the one club approach is much simplier.

But, that said, anything that gets us to practice the short game is a good thing.
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Pelz' number is 14" past the hole. I like Dave Pelz but I can't finish his books. They're too analytical for me. I don't disagree with what he says, but I don't apply his lessons too stringently. For example, I don't doubt that a put that goes 14" past the cup has the highest likelihood of going in. But I don't try to putt exactly 14" past the cup. That's crazy. I just try it to putt it so that the ball rolls past the cup at a decent pace instead of dying at the front lip.

I'm definitely more of a Little Red Book and Golf is not a Game of Perfect type of learner. However, this analytical work is my Bible when it comes to the golf swing:

By my great good fortune, I was able to read that book at the start of my golfing when I was about 12 and everything in my swing is copied from that book. I switched from the interlock grip to the Vardon grip because of that book. I have a weak grip and don't wear a glove because of that book. I set up with a wide stance and with my right elbow tucked into my side because of that book. I don't really lift my left heel because of that book. I have a flat swing plane and swing inside-out because of that book. I supinate my left wrist at impact because of that book. I hook the ball because of that book.

That book is the shit. Highly recommended.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh, and after you score a set of Mizunos, be sure to score one of these for your desk-side trash can:

These are sweet. Being miniature, they're a little gay. But they're sweet.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Rob Davison

Impressive but certainly not as cool as a miniature display tent

Old August 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Matt Taylor

uh oh. Here goes Rob on his miniatures again...

I like Hogan's Five Lessons as well. There's been some debate as to whether or not Hogan actually did the things he describes in those books. He was famous for having a "secret" that he never told anyone.

Hogan fought a hook for most of his early career. The speculation is that his "secret" was related to his left wrist at the top of his swing. While most good golfers and almost all great golfers have a flat left wrist at the top, Hogan's is obviously cupped. It's cupped in that picture John just posted.

Apparently, his secret was cupping his left wrist at top. He still had a flat left wrist at impact, which is almost necessary for consistency. But at the top, he cupped his wrist, so his left wrist went from cupped to flat.

Most golfers with a cupped left wrist at the top will surely be slicers, unless they make some other compensation. Hogan's swing was so flat and inside that he would hook the piss out of the ball if he didn't cup his wrist.

Anyway, I love his swing. Mine is also flat and compact. I don't hit it like Hogan though; maybe nobody ever has, except for Moe Norman. If Hogan would have figured out putting, Tiger wouldn't be setting all kinds of records -- he'd be chasing Hogan indefinitely.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

My left wrist is cupped at the top of the swing too. I can't putt either. If I could putt, I would easily be scratch.

I'm no Ben Hogan by any means. But I think I copied a lot from Ben Hogan, both good and bad.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Matt Taylor

From what I've read, Hogan used to hit the ball so close to the hole that he was always left with putts inside of 6 feet or so for birdie. I've heard people tell stories of watching him practice, and they said that the ball would hit the green and spin towards the hole, shot after shot.

But he couldn't make the putts. I mean, he'd make some, of course, but he was continually frustrated by hitting it so close and walking away with par.

He even reached the point where he'd start complaining that putts should only count for half a stroke. It frustrated him that he could traverse 470 yards in two shots, and then take the same number of strokes to move the ball 6 feet. I think it eventually led to him quitting the game.

While his perfectionist streak made him the most precise ball striker ever, it also fucked with his head regarding putts.

I like just about everything about Hogan. I even like those pimp hats he used to wear.