Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 28th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I had origingally gone in to look at an M2 Super 90. I dunno... after looking at all the repeaters I found myself drawn to the over unders. I don't pretend to know a whole bunch out any of them, it was purely a vibe I got from that section of the wall at Turners. The 686 Sporting stuck out to me as a good looking gun. When I spoke to John later he brought up the 686 as being a good gun.

John recommended that I wait until after we all go shooting so that I can try some different guns first. Makes sense to me.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM
ryanspeed

Re: 686

I just bought a 687 Silver Pigeon II (very similar to the 686) and have been very happy with it. It took about 2 rounds of Sporting Clays before I started to feel comfortable with the balance in comparison to my other pump-actions and semi-autos.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Aaron,

I don't know if you have any interest in hunting with the gun you buy (if you do Madeline and I will be happy to take you out) but this thread is very relevant and has lots of good shotgun info:
http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3305

happens to be just about my all time favorite gun thread.
great arguments for the repeater and the double.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

John,

Thanks for the pics of the hanger.
I really like it.
I like how the seperate barrels give the appearance of lightness and mitigate so much of the "blockyness" of the o/u.
It also has a winchester 1894 about it. grin.
Adjustable point of aim is sort of a mind-blowing feature, however unlikely one might be to mess with it.

Overall I see your K-80 as the only choice among the variants.
Sort of along the lines of the BMW m-coupe.
"so ugly it's fast."

ditch the hi-viz.
get new wood if you choose.

I'm sure you will be very happy with this double.
It's not entirely too specialized and I think that little bit of versatility will make it great.
I hope to see you bring it dove hunting with us!
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:51 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Aaron,

That's the 682. I believe you were looking at this one:

I dig this gun. It's very nicely set up, with suitable stock dimensions and a suitable recoil pad shape. I used to have a 686 sporting with black receiver, but I thought the stock was too long for my Korean arms and the comb was too tall for my fat face. My particular 686 also didn't pattern well, with both barrels shooting to different points of aim. So I sold that POS at B&B a long time ago.

This latest 686 Sporting has very nice stock dimensions and I'm guessing it would fit you well.

One thing I really like about the new 686 Onyx Sporting is the wood. The wood is nice and dark and Beretta is finishing the stocks with an oil or oil-like finish instead of the bowling ball epoxy finish so common on today's Berettas. It's a very elegant finish and contrasts nicely with the coin receiver. I also dig the jeweling and gold lettering on this receiver. This weapon reminds me of the old-school 682's that Beretta used to make a decade ago. Those also featured coin receivers and dark wood and they were very nice shotguns.

This new 686 Sporting is nice enough that I would rather have it than the latest 682's, which are all pimped out with gold and clay target engravings on the sides of the receiver. The 682 buttstock also has a very vertical-looking pistol grip, which gives the gun a weird appearance from my way of looking at things.

The 686 Sporting I saw at Turner's also featured backboring and long forcing cones, which is really cool. I was going to buy this 686 Sporting for my brother for his birthday but the money that was going to that went to my K-80. LOL.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
I had origingally gone in to look at an M2 Super 90. I dunno... after looking at all the repeaters I found myself drawn to the over unders. I don't pretend to know a whole bunch out any of them, it was purely a vibe I got from that section of the wall at Turners. The 686 Sporting stuck out to me as a good looking gun.

Your gut reaction is usually a pretty good indicator of what you will end up liking as you get more sophisticated with guns. I'm pretty ambivalent between the double and the repeater, so long as the repeater is the Super 90 or a variant thereof. From my way of looking at things, the Super 90 and its variants are the only repeaters to consider. I don't like the gas- or recoil-operated self-loaders or the various pumps or lever actions. The intertia-locking method of operation on the Super 90 is just so intriguing and functional that it makes up a lot for the overall clunkiness of the gun (compared to the elegant lines of a double). I also like the fact that the Super 90 is a very suitable Armageddon shotgun.

Not that Turner's has a supreme selection of guns, but if you look at the rack of doubles and repeaters and the repeaters aren't doing it for you, that's a pretty strong sign that you're a double kinda guy.
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Not that Turner's has a supreme selection of guns, but if you look at the rack of doubles and repeaters and the repeaters aren't doing it for you, that's a pretty strong sign that you're a double kinda guy.

I think so. But I'll wait until we go shooting to be sure.
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Aaron, I think you will find it much nicer to shoot a double especially on clay targets. When you are shooting skeet with a repeater on the stations with two targets, I don't like the cycling of rounds in a repeater. Also, its a pain to clean up your shells after the repeater ejects them away from you.
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Mike, what's the eqtiquette regarding spent hulls on the trap and skeet fields in your area? Is it bad form to leave your spent hulls on the ground?

I ask because I'm never quite sure what to do with the spent hulls on the trap and skeet fields. Sporting is usually different because there's usually a trash can at each shooting station. But there are no trash cans on the skeet and trap fields, so I'm left to wonder what to do about my hulls. Even if I were shooting a double, I don't want to have to pocket the hulls.

Up to now, I've been leaving the ejected hulls on the ground when I'm shooting a repeater. When I shoot a double, I usually catch the ejected hulls, walk out of the shooting box, and toss the empty hulls out of the way. But I really have no clue as to what is considered acceptable behavior in this area. I don't reload shotshells so I don't want to pick up my hulls. I usually just leave the hulls on the ground for the bottom feeders to pick up. I thought I was doing these people a favor. I always get a kick out of leaving my hulls there, and then when I walk away, the PT Schrams of the world jump on those hulls like vultures. On the other hand, I don't want to be a polluter of the skeet and trap fields either.

Any thoughts?
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

John, when I went to a private skeet and trap club a few years ago, it was standard practice to bring the spent shells out with you. Most of the old timers had skeet shotguns where the ejectors would just raise the shell out of the barrel so they could lift them out easily. Even on the trap range, where it was more common for people to use repeaters, there was a quick clean up session after each round of trap.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Good to know. Thanks.

Now I gotta think up a way to hold the empty hulls. Catching the ejected hulls from a double isn't hard, but the problem is where to put the damn hulls. I hate those mesh hull bags.
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Aaron-

If I can make it to Oak Tree, you are more than welcome to try my 686 Onyx.
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

That would be fantastic!!!
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think Aaron's going to have sensory overload from the musical shotguns and the arguments in favor of each action type from each person.

Aaron, have you ever heard of a drilling?
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Only when at the dentist.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

You should get a vierling. That or a Colindian. Or maybe even a Euoplia?
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

How did I know this was coming!!
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
You should get a vierling. That or a Colindian. Or maybe even a Euoplia?

Not a Franz Sodia Ferlach? Or a Waffen Albrecht? Or how 'bout an Imman Meffert?

I have no idea what I am talking about... so none of this may make any sense...
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Did you stop at Turner's on your way home from the shop?
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

No. traffic was bad and I needed to get home. It's on top of my list for tomorrow.
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:15 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just got back from Sharpshooter. Sharpshooter will be handing the transfer of the K-80 for me, so this may be a very easy deal after all. Time will tell.....
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Old April 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Aaron,

Here are the specs on that latest 686 White Onyx Sporting:

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=45

Note that the Beretta USA site has outdated specs and pics on this gun:

http://products.berettausa.com/frame...l=White%20Onyx

According to the Beretta International site, the 686 White Onyx Sporting is available with 28" barrels. When I asked about 28" barrels at Turners when I first saw this gun on the rack (because I think the 28" barrels would suit my brother better than 30") the guy there looked it up in the computer catalog and said that the 28" wasn't even listed. But if you're serious about this gun, you might call up Beretta USA and see if the 28" version is imported into the USA.

I also looked through the Beretta International site and couldn't see any other 686 that had the dark, oil-finished wood with the elegant lines that Beretta is putting on the current 686 White Onyx Sporting. All of the the other wood used on the various 686 models appears to be lighter in color, covered with a lacquer or epoxy finish, and lacking the elegant lines of the buttstock on this 686.

Also, if you're interested in learning some of the various clay games, check out Beretta International's site at:

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=264
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Aaron, I went to Turner's last night to pick up some ammo, and I took another look at that 686 Sporting. What a great gun! It's so nice I can't believe it's a 686. The one I saw had beautiful wood and very nice inletting. The stock dims were also just so perfect, at least for me.
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Also, if you're interested in learning some of the various clay games, check out Beretta International's site at:

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=264

John,

In the skeet demonstration:

At some stands the shooter gets a clay from the "pull" pushing engine only, other stands first a pull then a mark, still others a pull and a mark at the same time, and some there are combinations. Is it the same pattern every time? Or does the shooter deside the sequence and the combinations based on a points structure?

Am I correct to assume that (especially on the dual clays) that the shooter wants to try to shoot close to the mid point between the pushing engines to minimize gun swing?