Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 11th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Sunrise Production Videos

If anyone has been reading the recent threads here on EE, you have probably gathered that I am a new shotgun shooter and owner. I have had some friends coach me and I have taken a lesson to get started. All of that got me to the point where I could hit just enough to stay interested in the game.

Then John recommended that I check out the Sunrise Productions videos. I have watched four or five on them now, ranging from shooting fundamentals to skeet strategy to sporting clay methodology. Many of them say the same basic thing, but each instructor has his or her own little "twist" to add. A slightly different way to interpret the basics. Each interpretation hit home in a slightly different way.

This morning was the first time I have gone shooting since starting my video crash course. WOW! I went to Moore-n-Moore Sporting Clays in San Fernando planning to shoot only about 50 targets. I did not pre-throw any targets (although the videos recommend this to help visualize), but just stepped into the first station and threw a single target (Moore-n-Moore traps can be programmed for a three second delay after pushing the button for solo shooting).

Blam! Smoked it!

Ok, maybe that was lucky so I threw one from the other trap. Blam! Smoked it! Pairs... Blam! Smoked 'em!

I did not miss singles or doubles at any of the first three stations!

Forth station I missed. But I knew why I missed. Second shot... I missed again, but in a different place. Third shot... Blam! Again... Blam!

I ended up shooting 75 or so targets (I just couldn't stop at 50!) better then ever before. And it was absolutely because I have been watching the videos! They have without a doubt improved my shooting in a very short period of time!

Thanks for the tip, John!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone out there is not sure, the Sunrise Production Videos are well worth the money!

By the way, I was not paid for this rave review!
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:36 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sweet.
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

After rereading my post I realize that I sounded like one of those testimonial informercials!!!! I was just so excited after a great round of Sporting Clays!!!
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Hehe. I had the same reaction after I discovered the three different methods of lead on that long, slow, floating crosser at Moore-N-Moore.

Sustained lead? Smoke.

Swing-through? Smoke.

Pull-away? Smoke.

I was in heaven. That was the first time I that I used pull-away and to hit the target there was very gratifying. The same is true for station eight at skeet two weeks ago. Before I would be lucky to hit one out of four targets on station eight. Last time we went to Triple B I hit six out of six. That was a career for me. Station eight is by far my worst station.

I think I shoot swing-through on most targets. For example, the doubles on station one at skeet: high one is shot with a spot shot but the incoming low one is probably shot swing through. I'm not sure though, as low one moves slowly enough that I think I might be getting a sustained lead on it. I'm pretty certain I use swing-through on station eight at skeet, as the target moves so quickly and gets ahead of me I doubt I'm using sustained lead.

I'm not aware enough yet to know for such which methods I use on which targets. But I'm guessing swing-through for most. I have to learn more and practice more to become more self-aware.