FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 20th, 2005, 06:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Beretta 682 Limited Edition

Check out:

Beretta is making a limited run of 1,500 of these. Check out:

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=76

I'm digging it. It's a very nice 682, and it's not all pimped out. It's high tech but not overly high tech. The wood is dark and nicely figured. The receiver design is nice too, with the olive branch action on the sides. I also like the vented ribs on the barrels. Sweet gun for anyone who's looking for a gun and willing to spend around $4,000 or so.

I haven't seen this one in person, but I'm guessing the 30" sporting model would look super nice. The 682's are very slim guns, and this one with the dark wood, vented ribs, and extended chokes probably looks anorexic. So nice.
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
ryanspeed

Why do you keep taunting me...

Old June 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

ryan, this shotgun fever is worse than you think.

Old June 21st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Old June 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Ryan, don't give me that. You love it.

I called Beretta USA and the person I spoke with had no clue what the 682 LTD was. However, I believe that gun will be imported into the USA soon enough. After all, the pic has the importation mark right on it:

That would definitely be a sweet gun. I'm really digging it. If I didn't have my gun already, I would be very tempted to buy that 682 LTD. Sure, a Perazzi or K-80 or Beretta DT-10 isn't that much more. That's true. However, one thing bad about those guns is that you have to be a bad ass to shoot them or you look ridiculous. I always feel self-conscious at the range with my K-80 because I miss so many targets. I can't help but think that my squad mates are thinking, "what a sucka" when I'm missing so much with my K-80. That 682 wouldn't raise any eyebrows but it would be a sweet gun--a stealth gun if you will.

It's at the low end, but I think that 682 qualifies as a "gun for a lifetime" type of level.
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Do you think I could request number 505???
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

What's the significance of 505?
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
What's the significance of 505?

It's a lucky number.
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'll bet all of the guys in Chinatown are begging for number 888.
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
I'll bet all of the guys in Chinatown are begging for number 888.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
ryanspeed

Quote:
Ryan, don't give me that. You love it.

I know...

I usually gravitate towards the field guns rather than the sporting ones because I like hunting more that target shooting, but I really like that 682. It has that refined/machined look of the K-80, while the olive branch engraving isn't too over the top like my 687 (which I do like, but I want my next long gun to be a bit different).

My next purchase will probably be a 686 white onyx field (http://products.berettausa.com/image...ite_S_maxi.jpg) or a 471 silver hawk (http://products.berettausa.com/image...471_S_maxi.jpg), in 20-bore, for dove hunting. I have enough 12-bore guns right now.

I really like the english stocks on side-by-sides like this:
http://products.berettausa.com/image..._EL_S_maxi.jpg

But, that model does not come with fixed chokes, and I prefer the polished reciever look of the other.

I would really like to find a side-by-side, 20-bore, english stock, fixed chokes, with limited engraving to use as my "nice" field gun. Right now I use either my old Stevens .410 side-by-side or the 687, which is a little heavy for dove hunting. If anyone has some alternate suggestions for a side-by-side fitting that description, <$3000 US, I would be interested to hear about it.

-Ryan

Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Ryan there are so many guns that fit your description it's hard to know where to start.

That said, I really like the 471. I almost made an impulse buy on one at the Beretta gallery in NYC. But it comes up short big time in one department.
SST.
on a fuckin sxs?!!!
ugh.
A side by side should always have double triggers and fixed chokes. I'll tolerate stocking differences before those two trespasses.

As far as other guns, you need to look seriously at the Spanish guns. I shoot Ugartecheas but also like AyA, Grulla and a few others.
3K will also buy you a decent Birmingham boxlock if you're into the English not-so-best thing.

field guns are were it's at.
All this clays talk...

bowling alley.
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
All this clays talk...

bowling alley.

Skeet = Bowling Alley
Sporting Clays = Golf
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:20 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Ryan,

Check out page 16 of this pdf:

http://www.berettausa.com/customer/d...s/shotguns.pdf

According to the latest Beretta USA catalog, the Silver Hawk is now available with straight grip, splinter-style forend, case colors, wood butt, double triggers, and fixed chokes--model no. J471437.

Note that is not the wannabe Uptown 471 EL with false sideplates and lame-ass gold birds all over it. I believe this model no. J471437 is a plain jane boxlock Silver Hawk, but with traditional styling. I haven't seen this gun in person but it sounds sweet. The semi-beavertail forend in the 471 pic is a little chubby for my taste but the gun is otherwise so nice that it's hardly a deal breaker. And if we're lucky, the J471437 has the 471 EL's thinner forend. You never know.

Also check out:

http://products.berettausa.com/frame...0Silver%20Hawk

According to that page, the J471437 has 3" chambers, so this gun is really shaping up into a nice gun with good power. A 3" 20-Bore is definitely nothing to sneeze at. Weight is listed at 5.9 lbs.

MSRP is $3500, so the various Beretta dealers should sell the J471437 for a little less than that I would think.

Whatever you do, don't get the 26" barreled version. I cringe every time I see a 26" double gun. It reminds me of a Coach Gun. It's so stubby.

Damn, I kind of want one myself now. I wish PSA had one on the rack so that I could check it out.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'd love to do some bird hunting. I just might have to get me that Silver Hawk.
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
ryanspeed

Quote:
I'd love to do some bird hunting. I just might have to get me that Silver Hawk.
Ditto...
The pdf catalog does seem to indicate that the silver hawk is now configured exactly as I was looking for.
Beretta is going to have to send a commission fee to John and Jack after everyone on this board has their new gun in hand!
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

So Ryan, when are you going to get that K-80?
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
ryanspeed

Quote:
So Ryan, when are you going to get that K-80?
I don't know...I don't think I would look this good with one:
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:45 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Man, get the K-80.
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Actually, forget the K-80. At least for the time being. Instead, check out these two Silver Hawks:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976584058.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976584059.htm

I think the first gun has the nicer wood, having a darker tone than the second gun. But they're both nice. Beretta USA must have some coin-finished double-trigger Silver Hawks available as well, even though they're not listed in the standard Beretta USA catalog. I generally prefer the case colors but these Silver Hawks look very nice.

Also, the Silver Hawks have a cheesy gold hawk head on the top lever. This hideous thing is usually camouflaged somewhat by the coin finish. If the case-colored version has the same hawk, I would think this would be horrible looking. I haven't seen a case-colored Silver Hawk yet so I don't know for sure. Also, I would think that a coin-finished Silver Hawk might be the way to go on this model, because of the name "Silver" Hawk. Yeah, that's cheesy too. But most of the Silver Hawk's I've seen were silver colored.

I wish the pics showed a side view of the "splinter-style" forend. Those pics are great for showing the Anson pushrod but you can't really tell how beavertailish the forends are from that angle. They look to me to be the semi-beavertail type though, as they look wider than the barrels and the forend tip looks to be very broad. This is probably the worst thing on these otherwise very nice guns. But then again, a lot of people like the fatter forends. And at worst you could have the forend slimmed down to true splinter dimensions. It would be very easy to do that.

I'm really digging the first one. I want it.
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

OK, now I'm wanting this Silver Hawk even more. Check out:

http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/Beretta471.asp

This is the part that I find so interesting:

"Lock-up is by the proven Purdey double-underlug methodówith a slight twist. Beretta angled the lugs slightly to keep the gun tight even as surfaces wear. The lugs are manufactured by electric [sic] discharge machining (EDM), and the barrels are fused to the monobloc with a laserómaking this classically styled side-by-side utterly modern in its manufacture. The surfaces of the breechface and receiver under the barrels are jeweled."

Forget the jeweling. This Silver Hawk has angled locking surfaces, just like the K-80. How cool is that? What a sweet alteration Beretta did. That's just awesome.

This Silver Hawk is looking better and better. I gotta play with one and see how tight the lock-up is.
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:31 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I found this pic on Guns America:

The gold hawk's head on the case-colored top lever isn't too bad--certainly not as bad as I had feared.

But more importantly, I'm digging how the top lever doesn't center with the action closed. This shows some amount of longevity to the Silver Hawk's locking design. Just as with the K-80, the top lever does not center--and the locking bolts do not seat completely forward--with the action closed. As the components suffer wear and tear with use, the bites/bolts are able to seat farther and farther forward and still achieve a very tight lock-up. Also, the monobloc is actually squeezed tightly onto the action bar by the angled locking surfaces.

The more I look at this Silver Hawk, the more I want one. One of my beefs with the various SxS designs has always been locking strength. I gotta do a run to PSA to test the Silver Hawk and feel if it has the "bite" that the K-80 does when you open and close the action. The K-80 locks up so tightly that you can actually feel the very tight lock-up when you work the action. If the Silver Hawk has this feel to it, it'll be hard to say no.
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:48 AM
ryanspeed

I like both of those examples from guns america, and while the gold hawk could be left off, it wouldn't deter me from buying one.

John, do you have any pics of the angled locking surfaces from your K-80? I am not really clear as to what this means...
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The K-80 has no underbites or lumps or whatever. All it has are two barrel shoulders flanking the upper barrel:

When you push the top lever to the right, the blued top latch retracts rearward and unlocks the barrels. Here's a pic with the top latch in the rear position:

When you hinge the barrels shut, the "slide stop" for the top latch is released and the top latch springs forward with a pretty good amount of force. The locked action looks like this:

The locking surfaces of the top latch and barrel are angled, so that when the top latch springs forward and the locking surfaces engage one another, the barrel shoulders are very tightly pressed down onto the top of the action walls. This achieves a vault-tight lock-up. You can actually feel the difference in how tight the action locks up when you handle a K-80 and then handle a conventional design.

The locking surfaces are also located at what Krieghoff claims is the optimum leverage point, and the hinge pin bissects the axis of the lower barrel, so the lock-up is very strong--quite possibly the strongest among all practical double designs.

The K-80 has great strength but it also has great longevity. Note how the top latch is free to move farther and farther forward as the locking surfaces inevitably suffer wear and tear from use. As the locking surfaces of the barrel and/or top latch wear, the top latch just seats farther and farther forward and achieves a vault-tight lock-up every time.

As the locking surfaces wear and the top latch seats farther and farther forward, the top lever will stop at a point closer to the centerline of the gun than it did when it was new. When the top lever finally stops at the centerline and/or the vertical surface of the top latch's locking recess contacts the rearmost portion of the barrel shoulders, Krieghoff recommends changing out the top latch with an oversized top latch. This oversize top latch has the same angled locking surfaces but are moved downward a few thousandths of an inch, so that the oversized locking surfaces will mate with the worn barrel shoulders and the top lever will once again stop at about five o'clock on the weapon's centerline instead of at six o'clock.

This is why the K-80 is basically a perpetual shooting machine and will last "many hundreds of thousands of rounds" as Krieghoff claims and as many competitive shooters have demonstrated. I don't know of any other gun that has this kind of longevity. Even "shot out" K-80's still have very tight lock-ups. Kids, don't try this at home with a SxS.

The Silver Hawk uses double lumps under the barrel monobloc. These lumps have squarish hooks that accept receiver bolts that spring forward when the action is closed. If I'm understanding things correctly, the Silver Hawk has lumps with angled locking recesses and angled action bolts/bites. If designed properly (and I see no reason why they wouldn't be), the angled bolts would spring forward and engage the angled lumps and achieve a very tight lock-up. The design would actually suck the barrel monobloc onto the action bar and be very tight. This system would also compensate for wear, as the action bolts would be free to seat farther and farther forward as the parts wear with use. This system would, I think, also help relieve stresses on the forend hanger. With the forward lump pushed tightly against the hinge pin, there would be less stress on the forend hanger.

I very much doubt that this Silver Hawk will hold a candle to the K-80's longevity, but it's very cool to me that Beretta incorporated some of the K-80's locking principles into the Silver Hawk's receiver. It's nice to see the traditional SxS fittted with this technology. The bolts are not visible on a SxS design, so this design on the Silver Hawk wouldn't harm its aesthetics at all the way it does on the K-80.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just called PSA about the J471437 and PSA said that the double-trigger Silver Hawks aren't available in the USA yet. Either PSA has no clue or that one shop selling them on Guns America got theirs through some weird deal. The latter scenario is plausible because the Beretta USA catalog doesn't list the coin-finished, double-trigger as an option, and this shop obviously has two of them.

PSA had more bad news. The case-colored Silver Hawks that PSA sold in the past few years all had a gold trigger. So it's quite likely that this two-trigger, case-colored version will have gold teeth as well.

PSA also said that 20-Bore Silver Hawks are in very short supply right now.

So bad news all around.