Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

UUUUUUUuuuuuuummmmmm....... ok.... not exactly what I was going for... but ok. lol
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
how long are the bbls on that neptune?

they look like they are 24" or less!

My guess is 26".

That Neptun is supposedly an Adolf Hitler presentation gun. Note the AH intitials engraved on the trigger guard.

There was an authenticated, very similiar Neptun that Kreighoff gave as a presentation model to Goering with HG similiarly engraved on the trigger guard.
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLee
Back to the luffwaffe drilling, here are some historical photos for your viewing pleasure:

Man I find myself I really wanting one of those.

Those pics look like a Stuka (Junkers 87). Plenty of room in that cockpit especially since it appears the rear gun has been removed.
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
My guess is 26".

It's a miracle, but I'm with Jack on this one. I'm going to guess 24" on the barrel length.

I'm not feeling it on the Hitler Neptun. I would rather have the Luftwaffe Drilling & Artillery Luger combo.
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Bass Pro Shops has a K-80 SuperSport in stock:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...8&mediaID=5859

Weight is listed at 8 lbs. If the listed 8 lbs. weight is accurate, that's really light for a K-80 with 32" barrels. I think my K-80 weighs 8 lbs. 15 oz. or thereabouts, and my gun has 28" barrels.

Cost is $10k. Not bad at all.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

There's a very nice K-20 for sale on Guns America:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976708904.htm

I think the wood on that K-20 is especially nice. Most Krieghoff wood is really ugly. I dig the wood on that K-20.

I only wish that K-20 had 30" tubes instead of 28" and it had "K20" CNC'd into the receiver instead of the Super Scroll engraving. Not that I could afford that gun anyway, but it would just make it that much of a nicer dream gun.

I'm shooting with Dave Schechter this week. Perhaps I can talk him into that K-20.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Krieghoff Classic Double Rifle continues to evolve.

Just as with the K-80 SuperSport, Krieghoff now offers another "standard" configuration of the Classic Big Five called the "Classic Imperial". Many of the Imperialís features are cosmetic, but many are very functional and greatly improve the Imperialís strength and overall utility as a heavy rifle.

The Classic Imperial features a scroll-engraved and nitride-finished receiver with false sideplates:

The false sideplates are normally a turn-off to me, but I kinda dig them on this rifle because of the way they really strengthen the stock. The sideplates are cross bolted and they act as a giant crossbolt that sandwiches the buttstock horns and prevents them from splaying outward from the tremendous recoil of the Nitro Express rounds. The Classic is a boxlock design, so the false sideplates are very thin and the buttstock horns need not be hogged out the way they must on a true sidelock design. With the Classicís buttstock horns being full width and sandwiched between the sideplates, the Imperialís buttstock is about as strong as a walnut stock can be. It should be more than strong enough for the Nitro Express rounds.

While the buttstock is greatly strengthened by the sideplates, Krieghoff reinforces the buttstock even more by fitting the Imperial with a full-length top tang:

The trigger guard is also full length:

The wrist is traditionally the weakest portion of a rifle's buttstock. Itís common to see rifles broken clean at the wrist from dropping them or from repeated heavy recoil. The full-length tang and trigger guard reinforce the wrist against breakage. The Classic also uses a throughbolt to attach the buttstock to the action, so the Imperial's wrist is basically triple reinforced against breakage. I would be very surprised if I ever saw an Imperial with a broken wrist.

The grip cap is steel:

Standard Classic Big Fives are made without a grip cap at all. I would prefer no grip cap, but that would look weird with the full-length trigger guard. Thankfully, the Imperial's steel grip cap doesn't feature the cheeseball hinged door and pocket that is supposed to hold a spare foresight. I hate that foo foo shit.

In addition to its much greater strength, the Imperial's buttstock differs from the Classic Big Five's buttstock in styling and finish. The buttstock lines are very London Gunesque, with concave borders for the checkering, lack of flutes at the comb, Rigby-style beaded cheekpiece, dark-stained wood color, and oil finish with the pores not completely filled:

However, touches of the traditional Krieghoff design still remain. The right side of the pistol grip features a palm swell, a very Krieghoffish touch:

The Imperial's standard sights are a $1,000 option on the Classic Big Five, with vertical gold lines and folding leaves:

The express Vee is sighted in at 50 meters I believe, and the folding U-notches are sighted in at 100 and 200 meters respectively. The foresight is a brass bead, with flip-up large ivory moonsight for shooting in low light. The folding leaves and moonsight are gimmicky, but I like them because they decorate the rifle while at least giving the appearance of being functional. They're also fun to play with.

I Googled for the Classic Imperial and it turns out Bass Pro Shops has a .500 Nitro Imperial in stock:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...9&mediaID=6046

And duPONT/KRIEGHOFF has two, one a .470:

http://www.halkguns.com/krieghoff/Ne...als/050653.htm

and the other a .500/.416:

http://www.halkguns.com/krieghoff/Ne...als/050656.htm

Bass Pro is asking $32,000 for the .500 and duPONT/KRIEGHOFF is asking $25,000 each for the .470 and the .500/.416.

As you can see, the wood on the Imperials is substantially upgraded from that of the Classic Big Fives. I really like the wood Krieghoff is using on the Imperials too. The wood is fancy but doesn't have the crazy burlwood or bowling ball walnut the fancy K-80's have. The color is also darker than one usually sees on Krieghoff weapons.

The Bass Pro pics show the unique design of the Classic action. The bar is hollow, with a single cocking ram for both hammers bisecting the bar:

The lumps are bisected to clear the cocking ram:

The lumps are very wide and provide a very large locking surface for the bolts and hinge pin. I'm not sure if the locking surfaces are angled the way they are on the K-80, but I hope they are. Also missing are the very large flat surfaces found on traditional SxS designs, so the Classic action should be more tolerant of dirt. Standard SxS designs with very large flat surfaces will not close if the flats get dirty, rendering the weapon useless. This is why W.D.M. Bell abandoned his .450/.400 double in favor the Rigby .275 magazine.

I'm digging the high-tech look of the bar and lumps. They're the complete opposite of a handmade chopper lump London Gun.

Iím excited about the Classic Imperial. Not that I can afford one, but I'm excited about it. I wouldn't mind having a toned-down one in .470, with case-colored receiver with less fancy engraving or even no engraving, Rigby-style sideplates with no gold on the "KRIEGHOFF", blued grip cap and triggers, true splinter forend sans schnabel tip, and detonated decocking button like on this Hubertus:

Krieghoff can easily handle these options. All I need is the $25,000 to $30,000.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

British Sporting, Ltd. has two different Essencias in stock.

This one has the very conventional 20-Bore, 28", IC/M, wood butt, 6.25 lbs., and so on:

http://www.bsaltd.com/pages/GK_ESS20IN.htm

The second one is also a 20 but with 30" bores:

http://www.bsaltd.com/pages/GK_NESS.htm

Here are two pics of other Essencias they had, but apparently sold:

The version with the single trigger and Prince of Wales grip must be selling quite well.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Check out:

This is the end of the World.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Do you have a birthday coming up by any chance...?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That hat just doesn't do it for me. It's incomplete without my call sign embroidered on there.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

As many of you know, Krieghoff produced Lugers during World War II.

Well, the Krieghoff Lugers are back:

"Back from the Past, the Krieghoff Parabellum.

"For over 100 years, the Luger pistol has been one of the most well-known firearms throughout the world. Several versions of the Luger were developed for both military and civilian use. Celebrating this long standing history of the Model 08 pistol as it was also called, Krieghoff is producing the 2006 Limited Edition Model 08 Parabellum. Only 200 pistols will be offered, serial numbered 18001 Ė 18200, continuing the production halted in 1945 when the last Krieghoff Parabellums were made for U.S. military officers.

"The Parabellum civilian model, containing features not found on the military version existed in very limited quantities during 1934 Ė 1945. Now this coveted collectorís item is available once again, not as a replica, but as an authentic continuation of the original Parabellum Model 08 line.

"The first Parabellums are due off the production line in late 2006 or early 2007.

"The cost is $15,950.00 U.S. Currency, FOB Krieghoff International, Ottsville PA, which includes US Federal Excise Tax or 10,500 Ä (Euros) FOB Krieghoff factory in Germany. The price includes specially made aluminum pistol case machined from solid aluminum block and imprinted with the authentic Krieghoff anchor insignia; additional magazine and Certificate of Authenticity signed by Dieter Krieghoff. Only 200 pistols will be made."

It's nice to know that Krieghoff still has the ability to make such pieces. I guess Krieghoff is ready for Armageddon if necessary.

The buttstock dovetails on the butt are a mystery to me. I didn't know such features still qualified for importation of new weapons under BATF regs.

I really like the fact that Krieghoff didn't pimp out these Lugers. They're very nice, complete with walnut stocks and straw controls. I wish the magazine butt floorplate were walnut instead of aluminum, but the aluminum floorplates are very nice as well. The only pimp daddy item is the case, and who cares about the case.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I really like it.

I didn't think I could love a new production luger, but i'm pretty into this.

get it, and we'll have a little parabellum outing.

one of my magazines has the aluminum plate.

...but it has a little eagle stamped into it, so it's ok.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Get it? That thing's $16,000.

I would get new K-80 SuperSport barrels and wood before I got that, and that's only $5,000 or so.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Get it? That thing's $16,000.

I would get new K-80 SuperSport barrels and wood before I got that, and that's only $5,000 or so.

Hmmm, well that's how I feel about the Pilot's Double Chrono.

I love it.
No doubt.

But there's a lot I'd buy for 10K before that watch.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

And I don't even love this Luger. I prefer the P7. So spending $16k on it seems absurd.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Essencia Sidelock is now available on a 28-Bore frame:

The standard Essencia Sidelock is built on a 20-Bore frame. Standard Essencias are available in 12-, 16-, 20-, 28-Bore and .410. The Essencia 28 is available in 28-Bore and .410.

Weight for the Essencia 28 is listed at "just under six pounds".

The engraving shown above is the deep-relief "Acanthus Scroll", an extra-cost option.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

There's a review of the Essencia in the current Shooting Sportsman, if you don't have it I'll scan it for you.

Started reading it last night. Bruce Buck had interesting things to say juxtaposing the traditions of German field guns and the prevalence of the K-80 with American clays enthusiasts against the new continental back-action offering.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I read that review. It was a little weird to me.

The guy didn't say anything about the gold triggers, but he hated the gold "KRIEGHOFF" lettering on the sideplates.

I love the gold "KRIEGHOFF" on the sideplates. It's the gold triggers I dislike.

Different ways of looking at the world.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

PSA had a Essencia Boxlock 20 in stock yesterday:

http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/a...b_mvc-008s.jpg
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/a...b_mvc-009s.jpg
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/a...b_mvc-010s.jpg
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/a...b_mvc-011s.jpg
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/a...b_mvc-012s.jpg
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/a...b_mvc-013s.jpg

This gun had the Prince of Wales grip, single trigger, and 30" barrels choked IC/MOD. I think asking price was $19,000.

The Essencia Boxlock feels very different through the wrist than the sidelock model does. The sidelock model isn't nearly as thin through the wrist and has more of a round cross-section through the wrist. The boxlock is very oval through the wrist.

Nice gun but I strongly prefer the Essencia Sidelock.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm digging the boxlock.

The bbls are too long and the case coloring is too iridescent, but I like it a lot.
I even like the POW grip.

Of course seeing an Essencia in this configuration had me looking for a greener crossbolt that isn't there.

If this thing were in 16 it could be a serious step forward in the evolution of the German field gun.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The POW grips on both the sidelock and boxlock look and feel great. I'm torn because they look and feel so nice, but still I prefer the straight grip. I doubt the straight grip would feel this nice. But yet I still prefer the straight grip.

The Essencia Boxlock has ejectors and a Purdey's Third Fastener, just like the Essencia Sidelock.
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
The Essencia Boxlock has ejectors and a Purdey's Third Fastener, just like the Essencia Sidelock.

I still prefer extractors, but virtually no high end guns have them. People think they're getting ripped off if they have to pluck empties, nevermind that it's more functional for many.

The Purdey's third bite is a nice touch.

The Essencia boxlock, completely changes my feelings about the line.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, "Royal Hammerless Extractor" just doesn't have quite the ring to it.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I still prefer extractors

Jack:

Why do you prefer extractors over ejectors ?