Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sherlock Homes on Masterpiece Theatre

For fellow Sherlock Holmes dorks, PBS will soon be airing another Sherlock Holmes movie:

Here's the preview:

KCET will air the movie on 10/23/05:

Unlike the old Jeremy Brett episodes that aired under the MYSTERY! banner, this movie will air under the Masterpiece Theatre banner.

We'll see if this Rupert Everett interpretation is as good as the Jeremy Brett episodes (which were superb). I'm already wondering though, as Rupert Everett wears a homburg in the preview and I don't recall Holmes ever wearing a homburg. It's been such a long time since I've read Conan Doyle, I could be wrong. But my recollection is that Homes wore a silk topper in town, not a homburg. At least a homburg is better than that lame-ass deerstalker, which a gentleman like Holmes would never have worn in town.

But the preview looks pretty good so I'm excited about this new movie.
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Steve Cooper

Homberg schmomberg, Rupert's cool, he can pull it off.

Anybody remember one of Everett's first US appearances in a movie with Bob Dylan in 1987? Who was the female co-star...

sc
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

That's cool. I'm going to try to catch that on Masterpiece Theatre.

As to the deerstalker, I always assumed some actor came up with that while trying to get into character by trying the "seven percent solution"...
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:39 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

"His very person and appearance were such as to strike the attention of the most casual observer. In height he was rather over six feet, and so excessively lean that he seemed to be considerably taller. His eyes were sharp and piercing, save during those intervals of torpor to which I have alluded; and his thin, hawk-like nose gave his whole expression an air of alertness and decision. His chin, too, had the prominence and squareness which mark the man of determination. His hands were invariably blotted with ink and stained with chemicals, yet he was possessed of extraordinary delicacy of touch, as I frequently had occasion to observe when I watched him manipulating his fragile philosophical instruments."

Sir Arthur Donan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Steve Cooper

He was a cool dude for sure. I think I'd be "rather over six feet" in that hat too

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

"His very person and appearance were such as to strike the attention of the most casual observer. In height he was rather over six feet, and so excessively lean that he seemed to be considerably taller. His eyes were sharp and piercing, save during those intervals of torpor to which I have alluded; and his thin, hawk-like nose gave his whole expression an air of alertness and decision. His chin, too, had the prominence and squareness which mark the man of determination. His hands were invariably blotted with ink and stained with chemicals, yet he was possessed of extraordinary delicacy of touch, as I frequently had occasion to observe when I watched him manipulating his fragile philosophical instruments."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'd like to know the statistical odds of anyone in Victorian England being "rather over six feet".
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think Holmes' great height was one of his many striking features. Holmes didn't eat during cases, and so his thin frame made him look even taller/striking. Imagine him wearing a black suit and a black topper and he must have appeared very tall indeed.
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I'd like to know the statistical odds of anyone in Victorian England being "rather over six feet".

Can't be worse than 6'4" Korean.
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Did anybody else watch Masterpiece Theatre last night? What a hunk of shit.
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Matt Taylor

I'd been hearing good things about this BBC produced show called Sherlock. There are a total of six episodes so far; they started in 2010 and apparently plan to continue in 2013.

I was skeptical, because my image of Sherlock Holmes is so specific. I was in no rush to see it once I found out this version was set in modern times, but people kept categorically raving about it. Couldn't find one negative comment out there.

So I finally got around to checking it out recently. It is damn good. Damn good. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

The first episode hooked me pretty fast and made me get over the modernity issue right away. Specifically, the meeting between Holmes and Watson is a dead on recreation of their meeting in the books. The way it was done made me realize the show creators were doing more than just nodding in the direction of the books and approximating the characters. They are obviously Sherlock Holmes freaks trying to do it right.

And for the most part, I think they do.

There might be a bit too much catering to the C.S.I. viewership with regard to special effects. There is an unneeded running gag about people suspecting Holmes is gay. There are a couple of scenes that seem forced. And I'm not sure the guy who plays Moriarity gets it right.

But the guy who plays Watson is perfect, the dude playing Holmes is great (but not perfect), and the treatment of the material is very satisfying to a fan of the books.

If you have Netflix, check this out.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I was skeptical, but ended up buying the modernization of the stories.

Even with its shortcomings it was at least twice as good as the crap that is usually on tv.