Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. In the "old" days the rubber seals in British cars were damaged by using "regular" brake fluid and Castrol was the only game in town.

Brake fluid is constantly being reformulated. I stopped using Ate racing blue years ago when I discovered that, despite its high wet boiling point it was more highly hygroscopic (or at least that was the rumor in the Porsche crowd back in the Eighties). Jack corrected my misinformation a few years ago when he pointed out that Super Blue had a recommended 3 year replacement and was "less" hygroscopic. I checked and he was correct.

OTOH, Castrol GT/LMA has improved since years ago and now has a higher wet boiling point than it used to (now its made in Germany so who knows who even makes it). I used to use the Castrol synthetic BF in the RRC because of its higher wet boiling point and because i used to overheat the brakes coming down from Big Bear. However i solved that problem going to 90+ axially-ventilated brake rotors and requisite calipers and some decent front pads. Now I just use Castrol GT/LMA.

I can't justify ordering online and paying 3 times as much for DOT 4 for a slightly higher boiling point when the real issue was better brakes.
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I have been through two brake m/c seals and two clutch m/c seals, running Castrol GT/LMA. I'm more inclined to think it's a combination of shitty seals and old, wet fluid. Perhaps I will alternate between blue ATE and clear Castrol on successive fillings so that I can always be sure that I've flushed the completely.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

We're those original OEM MCyls or rebuilds or?

My original factory master cyl and brake booster gave up the ghost about 3 years ago and I had to argue with British Pacific at the time to get a new UK TRW/Girling MC and booster as they claimed "everyone" was happy with cheaper Chinese parts so why did I want something different?

My guess is they were happy with the price at the time. The TRW/Girling really wasn't that much more.
Old March 7th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
We're those original OEM MCyls or rebuilds or?

For the brake M/Cs, I used rebuild kits. This was on my old D90 and I don't remember where they came from. Probably RN. One of the clutches was on the D90 and the other was on my ex-MOD. My truck came off the boat with a leaky clutch master, probably from sitting around on MOD lots and sitting on the ship. I used a Genuine rebuild kit on that one. It even came with the little packet of TRW-labeled grease.
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

They all suck.
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Christmas duties for the 110.