Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
cvestal

help

My first modification plans:

I want to add some function / articulation without too much height. Does that make sense?

On my 03 DII:
I have steelies with 245-75-16 MT. I was thinking of adding front sway disconnects, OME shocks, and extended brake lines, Rovertym sliders.

I was going to wheel like that for a while. The tires will add about an inch. Then if I feel I need more clearance, then I will add 2" springs.

Thoughts??
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I prefer the SlickRock Fab sliders to the RTE sliders. The RTE sliders bend upward because of the increased leverage from the nerf bars.
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
cvestal

thanks John... but I ordered the sliders about an hour ago...
I knew I should have posted here first.

I also posted this on discoweb and have been getting some good feedback there as well.

thanks again.
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Mike McCollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I prefer the SlickRock Fab sliders to the RTE sliders. The RTE sliders bend upward because of the increased leverage from the nerf bars.

X2
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Rob Davison

i'd go with a 265/75-16 tire from the start if you can. with that 4.6 engine you'll not miss the power too much. for your suspention do you have sls? or springs?

free upgrade, remove the black fender flares. it really cleans the truck up to me.

rd
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Mike McCollum

Hi Rob,
Where is my parcel tray?.....
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Mike McCollum

Very, very simple explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leverage
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:40 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

i think what you have is pretty much a nice simple way to modify your disco without loosing it's original feel. shocks will give you much better control than the oem shocks. 245's are a slight increase in size ... not bad. actually if you have the stock michelin xpc's... i'd keep those instead. then jump into 265/75 when you do your lift.

enjoy it as is as much as you can.

u say you want articulation... i say forget the quick-disconnects and get to know your ETC. knowing how to use your traction control will be your best "mod" unless you do already... then please disregard...

too bad you ordered your rovertym sliders already. i don't like them on the 03-04 discos.

good luck
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Rob Davison

Hi mike, i have to check to see if they made the move to AZ...
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:15 AM
cvestal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
i'd go with a 265/75-16 tire from the start if you can. with that 4.6 engine you'll not miss the power too much. for your suspention do you have sls? or springs?

free upgrade, remove the black fender flares. it really cleans the truck up to me.

rd

I have springs.

I am going to try removing the flares. Mine are already all sctratched up.
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM
cvestal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanchung
i think what you have is pretty much a nice simple way to modify your disco without loosing it's original feel. shocks will give you much better control than the oem shocks. 245's are a slight increase in size ... not bad. actually if you have the stock michelin xpc's... i'd keep those instead. then jump into 265/75 when you do your lift.

enjoy it as is as much as you can.

u say you want articulation... i say forget the quick-disconnects and get to know your ETC. knowing how to use your traction control will be your best "mod" unless you do already... then please disregard...

too bad you ordered your rovertym sliders already. i don't like them on the 03-04 discos.

good luck

hanchung
thanks, I kept my stock rims with xpc's since it is a daily driver.

Other than seat time, is there a advanced video or some resource that explains the ETC?? Specifically how to use it off road bette. I have been trying the 2 foot method with little success.

The rovertym are more for function than looks, they will help my wife get in and out after I lift it since she is 4'1, keeps a-holes doors and trees out of my doors.

thanks again
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
Other than seat time, is there a advanced video or some resource that explains the ETC?? Specifically how to use it off road bette. I have been trying the 2 foot method with little success.

I don't know of any video. Seat time will be your best bet.

Two footing it will not help you though. When the brake is used the computer is thinking ABS which releases the brakes. When on the gas... TC, which applies the brakes. So to use the 2 foot method only confuses the computer. In my experience the ABS seems to take precedence and negates the TC. The two foot method works well (with practice) on a vehicle with open diffs and no TC, it's kind of a "manual" TC.

My first question is do you know how TC works? I don't mean that as an asshole question. Understanding how it works will help you get the most out of your TC.

I have found, as a general rule, that steady low throttle works best with the TC. You need to keep on the gas enough to get over/through the obstacle while fighting the brakes (applied by the TC) but too much throttle makes the TC less effective. You also have to be a bit patient and let the TC find the wheel with enough traction to move you. Again these are my personal findings and are not backed up by any scientific study.
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

I agree with Aaron. For the ETC, you just have to use it and learn the nuances. There's no way to adequately bridge the gap between technical explanations and practical application.

Too bad about the RTE sliders. The one-piece Slickrock Fab sliders kick ass.
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM
cvestal

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad

My first question is do you know how TC works? I don't mean that as an asshole question. Understanding how it works will help you get the most out of your TC.

I think so, it is a electronic pulse of the brakes to the wheel spinning correct??
Kind of like a reverse ABS which pulses the brakes off.

I have noticed that ETC just does not work on higher throttle.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
I think so, it is a electronic pulse of the brakes to the wheel spinning correct??
Kind of like a reverse ABS which pulses the brakes off.

I have noticed that ETC just does not work on higher throttle.

Correct. The wheel speed sensors compare each wheel's speed relative to the other three. If one wheel is going a % faster than the others the TC applies the brakes to that wheel. (That's why you need a full size spare.) The pulsing that you feel is the TC system cycling on and off evaluating where to apply the brake.

The trick is to fight your natural instincts. As your truck slows due to lack of traction the tendency is to give it more throttle. You have to figure out how much throttle is necessary to keep moving (with the TC applying brakes to various wheels) without giving so much throttle that the TC stops functioning. It takes a bit of practice and feel.

It's actually kind of fun to be sitting on a hill, apply steady low throttle and just listen/feel the TC apply brakes to different wheels looking for traction. Obviously, at some point you have to give in and get out the winch.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
cvestal

Great info, thanks