Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 20th, 2005, 07:15 PM
RKurk

What to look for in purchasing a Defender 110

I am considering the purchase of a Defender 110 and looking for comments and input on what I should be looking for in terms of 'gotchas', known problems, assessing the condition, etc. I currently own a 2002 Discovery II (I am keeping it) but need background on the Defenders (110 specifically) to help me make an informed purchase.

Thanks,

Rich Kurk
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

For me the two biggest concerns would be:

(1) whether the vehicle is corroded heavily, as 110's are usually heavily corroded; and

(2) whether the vehicle has been butchered, as 110's typically have traded hands multiple times over their 14-year lives and most of the mods done to them are hideous and irreparable.

In fact, I have seen only a few 110's that were not irreparably butchered by a previous owner.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Won Park

BTW, what are the avail. years of NAS D110?

I know John told me 94,95 & 97 for the NAS D90 but, is that for D110, too?

Are there any auto trans NAS d-110?

sorry for the hi-jack
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
RKurk

Thanks for the good input. The rust corrosion issue is my biggest worry, and I will definitely be looking carefully, and also not try to let emotions get ahead of me.

One more question (maybe this should be a new thread) are parts, particular interior parts hard to come by, or take a long time to find/get? My intent is bring whatever I buy back up to near-new condition and try and keep it that way.

Thanks,

Rich K.
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Ian Kreidich

I think this is the best site for info on restoring a 93 110. There's a ton of great info. and you will be able to see everything that goes bad on them.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110work.html

I think it can be hard if not impossible to find any parts for the dash. ECR installs the more current dash setup on many of them. IMHO the 93 dash wasn't very nice to begin with.
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:56 AM
RKurk

Ian, You are right, a great site.

Thanks,

Rich K.
Old December 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

ECR is indeed capable of great work, but there is also lots of vehicle butchery there as well. For example:

The same is true for this:

Absolutely hideous.

I realize that ECR is just doing what the customer wants, but that's just vehicle butchery. If someone asked us to do something like that I would give him the hand.
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Ian Kreidich

LOL, true. What you don't like the pimp my ride look? Personally, I don't like the full external cage painted black. It just doesn't look right IMHO. I think they got it right the first time with the white.
Old December 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Agreed. Keep it white.
Old December 24th, 2005, 05:28 PM
RKurk

Ian and John, my interest in the ECR site was their work on the rust issues and general interior. My goal (when I find the right 110 to buy) is to bring it back to stock condition. I am not into the DVD players, hi-end stereo, etc. Even the stock heater, AC, suspension, drivetrain, and other items (good bad or in between) will be probably be fine with me as long they aren't sooooo bad as to cripple the use of the truck. The only upgrade might be a bumper and winch, but that also depends on what I find to buy.

Again, your comments and input are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich K.
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM
KevinNY

Badger Coachworks does most of ECRs interior work. They are pricey but use good materials and things fit.

You do realize that you will be spending upwards of 60 grand to acquire a D110 and get it to where you are describing, right? As long as you know what you're getting into, have a blast.
Old January 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
RKurk

I have gone and purchased a Defender 110 and want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. When I posted this thread I had found a 110 coming up for sale, and per your suggestions I controlled my emotional side, waited for the seller to make up their mind, looked it over no less then a dozen times (the local dealer brought it in out of the snow and put it up on a rack for inspection!) and then made the leap.

It is has 51k miles, has a very small amount of rust around the hinges and roll cage-bar (Idaho is a dry climate), but the most important part is that it is totally stock with zero modifications. It's only flaw is that it needs a good cleaning on the inside, replacement of the standard items at 50k, and some basic TLC. I found it totally by accident when dropping off my Discovery for service at the local LR dealer here in Boise. The 110 was in for service, I asked about it and found out the owner was putting it up for sale (hence this thread looking for input).

As a side bar comment, the local LR dealer here in Boise, specifically Mark Fabello in sales who brokered the sale as a favor to the seller (I think the seller owns a stable of LR's and Jag's) and the service manager Tony DiGiorgio know their Land Rovers. My experience with LR dealers back home in California has been generally poor, most know very little about what they are selling or servicing. With these two people you can carry on a detailed and intelligent conversation about Discovery's and Defender's. I would recommend them.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

PICTURES!!!!
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Awesome!

Congratulation on the D110!
Now in the immortal words of the great Spider-Man
"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

Where's our pics? and ditto about SC LR dealers!
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Won Park

Old January 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM
RKurk

OK, here are three shots I took a few days before I brought it home. Sorry, they are the equivalent of driveway shots, no exotic locales or backdrops.

Thanks,

Rich K.
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM
RKurk

Ooooops ! The picture file dimensions were too big on the last post, here they now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defender110_1_websize.jpg (88.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Defender110_2_websize.jpg (98.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Defender110_3_websize.jpg (82.1 KB, 80 views)
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's just awesome. Congratulations!

I recommend switching the ANR1534 rims to the ANR4636 rims and fitting 7.50 R16's. The truck will be even nicer.
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM
RKurk

Maybe this should be the start of a new thread but ... John has recommended staying with the OEM tire size of 7.50 R16, using Michelin XPS Traction's, but on narrower 'Series' rims (check out my posting with pictures, the current 7.50 R16's are on the wide OEM rims and it looks a bit odd).

Currently the 110 has 7.50 R16 XPS but in a commercial truck-street tread pattern and the side walls are cracking from age, so they need replacing. My original thought was to put on BFG Mud Terrains in a 265/75 size (same diameter as the 7.50 R16), mainly because the Mud Terrains have worked well on my Discovery. John has convinced me to give some thought to the overall aesthetic look, keeping it 'traditional' (my words) and stay with the XPS in 7.50 R16 but on narrower rims. There is a middle ground/compromise of an XPS in a 235/85 R16 on the OEM wide rims, which will retain the narrower tire look but significantly diminish the negative look of the wider rims.

By the way my intent is to keep the 110 close to factory stock and not 'trick it out'. However, I do not have specific limitations or a target in mind at this point (but pleeeeease no recommendations to put on ‘spinners’!)

Any input, comments, real-life experience to sway my choice one way or another ? (any pictures of tire-rim combinations always helps)
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
KevinNY

From the pics you look to have done very well, the dry climate has indeed been good to it.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

wow

damn, green with envy. saw one for sale in santa barbara about 5 years ago, kick myself daily for not buying it. good on ya!
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Ian Kreidich

Congrats! It looks great.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
RKurk

An automatic ! I thought that the 500 NAS 110's were all manuals. Question, what size and brand/type of tire does it have (in the pictures)?

Thanks,

Rich K.
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM
RKurk

Thanks for the information. I am not in a particular hurry, except that the tires need replacement right away. The tire size issue (see my earlier posting) is what I am trying to resolve in my own mind mixed with the goal (yet to be determined) of keeping the 110 OEM stock looking or to deviate, and if so by how much.

One more question. Has your 110 been raised (different springs) ? If so, what brand/type ?

Your 110 looks like it is in good shape. Mine needs a thorough cleaning on the inside, but fortunately is in good shape under the dust and dirt.

Thanks.
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Eric Siepmann

Stay with the Michelin XPS Tractions. I like the BFG's, but have had to replace 2 AT's on 90. Of your keeping the truck stockish, go with Bilsteins and HD LR springs. A slight lift and nice profile.

Gonna miss the 90.

EwS