Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I might. I'm not sure yet.

I probably won't shoot the Kel-Tec, just in case I unload it. I'll probably end up greasing it up and store it for Armageddon. It's such a cheap weapon that I really don't care if I sell it or not. $600 or $700 in the big picture isn't going to make or break my next gun purchase. I doubt I'll be $600 shy of something like that Krieghoff Classic Big Five. That's one of those things one can afford or he can't.
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM
SmellyAlbatross

John,

I'll buy it if you decide to dump it...my collection is ghetto enough to sport that CA
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sure. I'll sell it to you for $600 cash.

The pistol range next door has an FFL and does private-party transactions.

If you want it, just let me know. It's still NIB and you can inspect it before making your final decision.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I've been looking at these recently for a fun plinker/truck gun.

My preference would be original 8mm (maybe .308).

http://www.mauser.org/rifles/m63%20tanker/index.htm

So is this a carbine or battle rifle? lol
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Get an Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine, not some hacked up chopshop Mauser.

Mitchells or not, these modern "tanker" creations are so hokey.

There are plenty of short handy original rifles to be had.
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

For starters, that "tanker Mauser" isn't a "hacked up chopshop Mauser" IMHO. It's a NEW Serbian Mauser that was designed upfront as a shortened K98 (which is one of my favorite rifles of all time).

I've never shot the No. 5, but it's well-known "wandering zero" issue has never really attracted me to ownership of one. Also, I really don't want a vintage firearm for a truck gun. I sold my WWII-era M1 carbine and bought a new Auto Ordnance one for that reason.

That Mauser is NEW, compact (for a Mauser 98) and relatively cheap and I like the calibers available.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

A good friend of mine has a hand-me-down Mauser. I can't remember the caliber, though. He has a peep site on it and the gun seems to be very accurate.

He loves the gun. I dislike it. They're heavy, and clunky. Yet, they're reliable and easy to clean. Plus, some of the options for it are really cool, I think.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

An update on the Kel-Tec.

I finally test-fired the Kel-Tec at Angeles Ranges when I test-fired that Arctic Warfare:

It wasn't reliable. I got one failure to extract, and about one round per 10-shot magazine fails to eject.

The funny thing is, the Kel-Tec shoots great. It's handles really nicely and I like the way it feels when it cycles. There's no broken spring feel/sound as with the AR. Perceived recoil is very soft, even with the very light weight of the weapon. In fact, the more I play with it, the more I want to keep it.

My initial plan was to dump the Kel-Tec if it didn't work reliably, but after shooting it and getting to know it a bit, I now want to keep it and make it work.

I searched the Kel-Tec boards and Calguns (Kel-Tecs were big on Calguns before the off-list lower craze), and found that Kel-Tec routinely shipped out guns with off-spec extractors.

I examined my extractor at length and tested the tension on the case head, and it did seem as though the grip on the case head was weak. I also remember examining the empty cases from the test-fire session at Angeles and noting that the extractor grooves were smeared a bit from what seemed like improper extractor tension.

Kel-Tecs have a lifetime warranty and from what I gather Kel-Tec's customer service is top notch. The guys on the Kel-Tec boards and on Calguns have had replacement extractors shipped to them free of charge and no questions asked. Some others have fitted AR extractors and extractor springs from Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. (The Kel-Tec uses the AR extractor and extractor spring.)

I thought about calling Kel-Tec and requesting an extractor, but instead I chose to tweak my existing extractor. Using a file and our shop vise, I removed a few thousandths from in the side face of the extractor (the flat spot that rests against the side of the bolt head, not the claw) and now the extractor sits deeper in the bolt head and there's more grip on the case head. I also polished the camming surface of the extractor so that the now-tighter extractor would slip over chambered rounds more easily.

There's another theory floating around on the Kel-Tec boards that a cause of the failures to eject is that the ejected cases are hitting the cocking handle. My SU-16CA has the case-deflecting cocking handle. Several people have reported that Kel-Tec sent them the old-style cocking handles free of charge.

I like the look of the case-deflecting cocking handle so I want to make this one work as well. So I rounded the inside face of the cocking handle so that ejected empties would be less likely to hang up on the cocking handle.

We'll see if the mods on my Kel-Tec work. If they don't, I'll order another extractor and the old-style cocking handle from Kel-Tec.

It's funny, but I really want to make this work. This Kel-Tec is a really fun plinker/blaster/beater.
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think that's a sweet poor man's stash.

If you want a shotgun as well, add something like a Mossberg and you have a very nice battery on the cheap.
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

There's a Kel-Tec SU-16CA in our rifle class...
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Is it failing to eject?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I hit Angeles yesterday and took both of my beaters: Kel-Tec and Springfield Armory M6 Scout. Of course I forgot my camera yesterday, so no pics.

My Kel-Tec is close to perfect now. Extraction is perfect and ejection is nearly perfect. I shot about 250 rounds yesterday, and had two failures to eject. Once at about 130 rounds I had a failure to eject and once again at the very end.

I'm convinced the rounds are still hitting the case-deflecting cocking handle, because my empties eject almost straight forward. This is highly unusual for a weapon with a plunger ejector. So I think the empties are hitting the cocking handle and bouncing forward. This is by design on the SU-16CA that I have.

I'm going to shave some more off the cocking handle and then see how ejection is. I want to keep this case-deflecting cocking handle because I like the way it looks. But if my extra shaving doesn't work, I'll just get the standard cocking handle from Kel-Tec and I'm positive the problem will be solved by that move. Even with the two malfunctions, you can sort of tell that the extraction and ejection are working properly. It's just the cocking handle that is blocking the complete perfection.

Feeding and hold-open were perfect with both Kel-Tec plastic mags and USGI mags.

I zeroed the Kel-Tec's sights for a 200-yard battle zero. It now shoots dead on at 200 yards and 2" high at 100 yards.

This Kel-Tec is awesome. I disassembled the weapon yesterday before I went home, and I swear I cannot tell that the weapon has been fired. The bolt group and interior of the action are that clean. No carbon fouling at all made its way into the receiver. It was all blocked in the gas tube. I was stunned. This is easily the cleanest weapon I've ever owned.

Another success was the M6 Scout. My M6 previously suffered from sticky extraction of the .22 Hornet barrel. Before hitting Angeles yesterday, I polished out the chamber with some 1500 and 3000 grit sandpaper. I guess this light polishing was enough, because functioning was perfect yesterday with both Remington and Winchester Hornet loads.

So Beater Day at Angeles worked out quite well. I'll shave off a bit more on the Kel-Tec's cocking handle and report back how that works out.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Just wait till you see the rest of the pics...
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That guy looks ridiculous with his Russian Front whites, but his Kel-Tec is actually pretty deadly.

Let's say he's got the two Kel-Tec plasticky mags in reserve in the butt, and his 30-shot mag is looking very 416ish. It could be just the angle there, but the magazine's bend doesn't look very USGI to me. The curve looks very 416ish. It would be funny if he actually had 416 mags, because if he did, his mag stash would cost more than his Kel-Tec.

He's got some Leupold that looks similar to my friend Scott's Leupold:

I don't know what Snowman's Leupold is, but if it's like Scott's Leupold, then it's a nice scope. It's something like 1.5 - 4X; it has target knobs with BDC out to something like 600 yards; and it has an illuminated reticle for shooting in low light or for use as a red dot.

For close range, dial down the magnification to 1.5X and turn on the red dot and use it as you would an Aimpoint. For long range, dial up the magnification to 4X and dial in the range on the elevation knob. When you guys were shooting at 400 yards, he had a tremendous advantage on the rest of you guys.

Not my thing for a weapon like the Kel-Tec, but it's actually a really nice scope.

He's also a lefty, so the Kel-Tec's starboard cocking handle is perfect for him. He can cycle the action if he wants without even removing the butt. Only bad part for him would be the Kel-Tec's magazine release. I don't know if homeboy set up some kind of ambi or southpaw mag release on his Kel-Tec.

It looks to me as if he's got that ridiculous Pic forend for the Kel-Tec. I hate the way that forend looks, but at least it would let him mount something like an X300 if he wanted.

But assuming Snowman's Kel-Tec is reliable, it's actually a really nice set-up. I wouldn't be caught dead with it, but it's really nice.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
kennith

Oh, sure. Lol. Kel Tec isn't a joke anymore?

I haven't seen that particular model, but I have seen their little AR pistol, and it looked at least as good as the 16 I carried in the Army. Probably better, actually.

I am still really digging my little P32. Sure, they have a few hiccups, but almost any mouse gun will be a little finicky, it's just a problem with the size. I think Kel Tec really does know what they are doing, they are just pushing the limits of materials with their smaller stuff.

They are great to deal with as well. Warranty service is quick, free and without question. They aren't exactly warm and friendly, but they aren't mean or rude, either.

Cheers,

Kennith
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

I started to look at the pics, but got to singing Three 6 Mafia over-and-over in my head and got a headache.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
That guy looks ridiculous with his Russian Front whites, but his Kel-Tec is actually pretty deadly.

Let's say he's got the two Kel-Tec plasticky mags in reserve in the butt, and his 30-shot mag is looking very 416ish. It could be just the angle there, but the magazine's bend doesn't look very USGI to me. The curve looks very 416ish. It would be funny if he actually had 416 mags, because if he did, his mag stash would cost more than his Kel-Tec.

It's true.
The Strangler was using HK 416 mags.

The Kel-Tec setup wasn't bad at all, but the Strangler was.
He couldn't shoot for shit and he was downright dangerous. Tom and I were always trying to get away from him on the firing line.
At some point he lost some small piece of gear on the range. I have no idea what, but every time the range was cold he would be out there bent over shuffling around looking for it. He looked like some crazy homeless person. Our pal, Cole, in the class asked me what he was looking for? "His sanity," I replied.

The only dude weirder than The Strangler was Utah Viet Cong:

Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Did he change colors to match his background?
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Matt Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

Is this dude wearing a golf glove?

Real cabretta leather? Fancy...
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

It's a FJ StaSof. In case it rains.
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I shaved some more off the Kel-Tec's charging handle and hit Angeles again yesterday for another test session.

I shot 200 rounds and the Kel-Tec's functioning was perfect. So I think the problem is now solved. It's hard to tell for sure of course because it was only 200 rounds, but it's looking good.

I'll continue to keep an eye out for problematic functioning of course, but for the time being I've officially added the Kel-Tec to my stash.
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Nadir_E

Congrats, John! Nice that your fine tuning had the desired effect. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on the delivery of that folding stock for the FAL....
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Shit John.....a Kel-Tec? What is Ho putting in your water over there?

My beater, throw in the back of the truck, plinker is my "trusty" old Mini-14, complete with cheesy Choate folding stock to get it under 30". Sure it's a POS like your Kel-Tec.....but unlike your Kel-Tec it ain't no Kel-Tec.

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Nadir_E

Blue - even if John wanted to put the choate folding stock on a Mini-14, California's assault weapon ban makes that illegal (detachable magazine + pistol grip = bad), so he'd be stuck with the full length version.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir_E
Blue - even if John wanted to put the choate folding stock on a Mini-14, California's assault weapon ban makes that illegal (detachable magazine + pistol grip = bad), so he'd be stuck with the full length version.

Yep, I realize that. CA's gun laws are one of the major reasons why I stopped in AZ when I decided to move west.