Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I thought about selling it because it's brand new and these are hot right now, but decided to keep it.

If you ever decide to sell. I'll take it.

Old April 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Tom Deckowski

Quote:
I just got my Kel-Tec back.

Or, rather, I just a Kel-Tec back. Kel-Tec sent me a completely different rifle (but with the same serial number as my original). I thought Kel-Tec would replace the receiver and send back my original stuff, but Kel-Tec just sent back a new rifle.

I thought about selling it because it's brand new and these are hot right now, but decided to keep it.

NICE!
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Nadir_E

Did they speak to the stock failure, John? It would be comforting to know that they've addressed the design or manufacturing flaw that led to it.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I looked at the replacement and I can't tell any difference in the design of the receiver. Everything looks exactly the same, except the magazine well is now marked "5.56" rather than ".223".

Before I fired any M193 or SS109 in my original Kel-Tec, I checked the chamber to see if it was a .223 or 5.56 chamber and it was indeed a 5.56 chamber. The leade was very long. So nothing's really changed on my replacement except for the caliber markings.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

After my 180 series Mini-14 broke two extractors I decided to trade it out for the latest Ranch Rifle iteration.

As it turns out the newer carbine, while lacking the wood handguard that I liked, is very much an improvement over the first generation gun. I sort of knew this when I bought the 180 but didn't want believe it. Ruger updated the Mini-14 within a few years of it's 1976 introduction. I guess it was for a reason. My new Mini-14 did away with the M14/M1A style roller bolt and has a much heavier bbl. The furniture is also a lot nicer and denser.

A major improvement to the newest gun are the sights. The rear sight is much more robust and the front post is now a garand style with ears as opposed to the basic ramp.

I took the new Mini out to BZO it. The first group was pretty solid.

The flyer is probably my fault so that's a decent jumping off point.
I didn't even want to adjust the sights till I shot another group.

Another flyer, but overall the hits were good so I decided to leave well enough alone and just snug the sights up.

Adjustment on these new sites is curious. There's a locking set screw for the peep which is threaded in and out to adjust elevation. Windage is adjusted with two horizontal set screws which must be tightened and loosened in proportion with an allen key. A little awkward but I think they'll hold up well.

I'm hoping this gun will be everything the Mini-14 is supposed to be. Simple, reliable and effective.

We'll see...
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Nadir_E

Congratulations on the new rifle, Jack.

Maybe put some GunTite on those allen screws once the weapon is zeroed?
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I like the Mini-14 for purely aesthetic reasons. The wood stock looks much less menacing than the plastic tactical found on most other carbines.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Finally got my Heller/Nordyke gun. Even though I get tons of shit from friends, I love how compact this rifle feels and its overall size when it is folded. Can't wait to take it to the range. Is there any way to adjust the sights for elevation? All I see is two horizontal set screws for windage.

My cartridges are badly marred just upon entering full battery. Has anyone also experienced this?

Now for some training.

Old June 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh sweet, you got it.

The SU-16CA uses the M16A2 front sight, which is adjustable for elevation. There's a spring-loaded plunger that keeps the front sight from rotating. Just depress the plunger with the pointed tip of a bullet and you will be able to turn the front sight to adjust elevation. My Kel-Tecs had a loose front sight, so all that was required to turn the front sight was a tip of a bullet. If your front sight's threads are tight, then you will probably need a front sight tool:

The SU-16 uses the Stoner barrel extension, which looks like this:

The points/edges/corners of your bottom two locking recesses are sharp from machining. You can polish/round these corners with judicious application of sandpaper wrapped around a chopstick or pencil or dowel. If you want to purchase a tool for this, a ceramic rod with tapered/pencil tip is ideal for this task. The rounding of the sharp corners will prevent your rounds from getting hammered and will also enhance feed reliability.

This is a common mod on ARs and is commonly referred to as "throating". This AR has been throated:

You can see the corners of the locking lug recesses are rounded very slightly. Be careful when you do this. Don't screw up your gun. As with medicine, the first rule is do no harm. The Kel-Tec's feed ramps aren't as accessible as the AR's feed ramps because there is no upper receiver to detach. You will have to disassemble the Kel-Tec's magazine retention pieces from the receiver to reach the feed ramps.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
You can polish/round these corners with judicious application of sandpaper wrapped around a chopstick or pencil or dowel. If you want to purchase a tool for this, a ceramic rod with tapered/pencil tip is ideal for this task.

I don't think I would want to go the sandpaper route, and would rather purchase the appropriate tool for the job. I tried searching Brownells and Midway, but couldn't find what you had described. Do you where I could source such a tool?

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The cylindrical stone on this page should work:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...CERAMIC_STONES

Part no. 824-400-001.

This stone doesn't have the pencil tip, but it should work just fine. In fact, you may want the blunt end to the stone because it will be that much less likely you'll stone the chamber by mistake.

Frankly, I think sandpaper wrapped around a chop stick is just fine.
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I test-fired my replacement Kel-Tec yesterday at Angeles.

This replacement Kel-Tec runs like a champ. Functioning was flawless and ejection was very consistent. My previous Kel-Tec ejected in an erratic pattern because the cases would often deflect off the charging handle or the edges of the ejection port. Brass was thrown in a 120-degree pattern to my right. My replacement Kel-Tec throws the brass consistently to the direct right in a nice, little pattern.

I zeroed the sights and now my replacement Kel-Tec is ready to roll.

I'm stoked. At least for the time being. We'll see if this replacement Kel-Tec holds up.
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Nice to hear that your ejection patterned perfectly. Did you happen to have that throating issue I had with your replacement?

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

No, my current Kel-Tec was a replacement for a broken gun, so I guess Kel-Tec felt bad enough about it that they did a fluff and buff on my replacement. The fluff and buff included throating the feed ramps and polishing the chamber.

I test-fed rounds into my replacement Kel-Tec and there's no scratching of the bullets or cases during feeding. My previous Kel-Tec scratched the rounds and I throated that gun myself with sandpaper and a chopstick.

My replacement Kel-Tec's chamber must be fairly smooth as well, because the ejected cases are very smooth in appearance. There are almost no drag marks on the case walls. On my previous Kel-Tec, I polished the chamber slightly with some 3000-grit sandpaper to smooth it out.
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Ignore the too-dangerous-for-California features:

Jeff Quinn cracks me up.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

My Kel-Tec and I hit Angeles again yesterday. I just added a new scope to the Kel-Tec and wanted to zero it.

Another 200 rounds of flawless functioning. I'm stoked.

So long as this pile holds together, it's an awesome gun.
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I had a pretty good day at the demo range yesterday. It was the climax of my Engineer officer training and we've been anticipating this day for quite a while.

It was a shake-out day for the new 5D Mark II. I'm still a rookie when it comes to photography. The bokeh got a little out of hand in some of my pictures.

We took about 1000 pounds of Composition 4.

We also brought about 40 pounds of dynamite.

We had another 40 pounds of TNT, for the Wile E. Coyote stuff.

We brought more det cord than we could possibly use.

There was also a pallet of cratering charges.

We also brought some shaped charges along with an assortment of bangalore torpedos.

I guess you could say that this was some high speed low drag Ranger Sapper tactical door-kicker shit.

An LT guards the demo with his M16A2. His job sucked but he's been a combat engineer for twelve years and he'd checked this box already.

You can't do anything in the Army without a safety briefing.

The first order of business was cutting up the C-4. We used cheap government-issue pocket knives for this. You are not allowed to cut explosive with your Benchmade, lest you set off TSA's taggant detectors at the airport or something.

We primed the C-4 with double-overhand knots and lots and lots of 100 MPH tape.

Cratering charges primed.

For the Grape Shot charges, we needed some shrapnel.

They are easy to assemble and look like they belong on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

Water Impulse charges are made with some IV bags and det cord.

Homemade bangalore torpedos. We also had store-bought.

This little Donut charge is made of det cord and when hung around your doorknob, will blow it completely away.

We used some silhouettes and det cord to build Oval charges. These will put a man-sized hole in a typical roof or wall.

Shrapnel from previous steel-cutting shots.

The Grape Shot charges are planted and ready to go. When they were blown, the only thing we found was the head of this silhouette, taped to a sheared piece of steel picket.

We took cover.

Unfortunately, the blast shots suck. I had to shoot through 3" of ballistic glass that hadn't been cleaned in ages.

The shaped charges punched a hole about 5' across and about 20' deep. Into those holes, we lowered cratering charges.

They made much larger holes.

Those of us with the highest academic averages got to do the urban breach scenario. I got to blow the water impulse charge. It will rock your world.

Finally, we blew the oval charges.

Old September 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Sweet!

LGBs, Bunker Busters and the like are cool, but I love these low tech backyard explosives.
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Daniel Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
I had a pretty good ....

Small world, I'm an USAF CE officer currently at EOD school, unfortunately cameras are verboten here.

I spent 7 months deployed with the 555th EN BDE to Baghdad, if you end up getting sent to Fort Lewis to join them you're in for a good time.

Good luck with your first assignment.

Edit: I've only used my Griptilian in school, I guess I'll have to be careful while travelling.
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

My replacement Kel-Tec continues to impress. I shot 300 rounds today at Angeles and performance was flawless. No malfs of any kind. That's 700 rounds now and function is still perfect. I can't complain.

It could be only in my head, but the Kel-Tec seemed to feel smoother and nicer today and than it did before I radiused and polished the bolt head and cam pin. In manual operation, I think the Kel-Tec is considerably smoother than it was before. And during firing, feeding is much smoother and the bolt group seemed to glide back and forth much more smoothly than it did in the past.

All this pile has to do is hold together and it will be a very sweet gun.
Old December 27th, 2016, 01:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

New Kel-Tec RDB Survival:

It looks like a winner. I want one, but the 26" overall length is a problem in California.