Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Nadir_E

Good Korean War Movie - Tae Guk Gi

Guys,
Though this has nothing to do with Land Rovers, I thought it was good enough to bring to everyone's attention. I recently watched (on DVD) a Korean film made about two brothers during the Korean War. It's titled "Tae Guk Gi" which translates as "The Brotherhood of War." It is epic in scale and akin to Saving Private Ryan in presentation and graphic detail. The copyright on the DVD is 2005, so I presume that's when the movie was released.

I found it extremely compelling and moving. It was also very accurate in terms of uniforms, weaponry, vehicles, and aircraft (which were all likely CGI). I can't speak for the accuracy of the village life scenes, but I would guess it was reasonably accurate.

One hurdle for some on this board may be the fact that the film is (quite naturally) in Korean. The DVD has an English voice-over, but I prefer to hear the actors' own words and so watched with sub-titles which wasn't difficult at all. Another hurdle for some may be the length - it's got a run time of 148 minutes.

I give this film high marks and recommend it without reservation. If you haven't seen it, and enjoyed Saving Private Ryan, give this one a spin.

-Nadir
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir_E
Guys,
Though this has nothing to do with Land Rovers, I thought it was good enough to bring to everyone's attention. I recently watched (on DVD) a Korean film made about two brothers during the Korean War. It's titled "Tae Guk Gi" which translates as "The Brotherhood of War." It is epic in scale and akin to Saving Private Ryan in presentation and graphic detail. The copyright on the DVD is 2005, so I presume that's when the movie was released.

I found it extremely compelling and moving. It was also very accurate in terms of uniforms, weaponry, vehicles, and aircraft (which were all likely CGI). I can't speak for the accuracy of the village life scenes, but I would guess it was reasonably accurate.

One hurdle for some on this board may be the fact that the film is (quite naturally) in Korean. The DVD has an English voice-over, but I prefer to hear the actors' own words and so watched with sub-titles which wasn't difficult at all. Another hurdle for some may be the length - it's got a run time of 148 minutes.

I give this film high marks and recommend it without reservation. If you haven't seen it, and enjoyed Saving Private Ryan, give this one a spin.

-Nadir

Thanks for that! I will indeed check it out!
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Yeah, it was indeed good. Very real.

The only thing... Tae Guk Gi actually translates to something else.

Old January 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Nadir_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
Yeah, it was indeed good. Very real.

The only thing... Tae Guk Gi actually translates to something else.

Really? Care to share what it does mean?

I wonder why they chose to translate it differently.

-N
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I have it on my DVR right now...

but with english voice over.

I defy anyone to take this movie seriously when dubbed.

it's like watching Kung Fu.
Channel 4.
totally.
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Tae Guk Gi = the name of the national flag of South Korea.

i guess "The Brotherhood of War" gives it more bam.

Old January 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Won Park

Very good movie. It was released in Korea Feb. of 2004. Korean movies have come a long way during last decade.

Here is the link to the official website. (with English and Korean sections)

www.taegukgi2004.com
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Nadir_E

I hear you, Jack - that's why I feel all foreign films should be seen with sub-titles. The original actors are always better than the voice-over actors, and you can hear the difference.

Give it another go with the DVD using sub-titles and the original Korean.

-Nadir
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:38 AM
brianw

Yes, great movie. A bit sketchy on significant events - but that's not what the movie was about. Just hate to see a Korean War movie with so few stars and stripes.