Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Rob Davison

with a few friends in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage 042b.jpg (187.3 KB, 248 views)
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I dig these miniature items, but something bothers me.

Does anyone else think these miniatures are sort of gay? They remind me of those rat-like little dogs I want to shoot every time I see them.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Rob Davison

deliberate minitures are not my thing, like the bottle beer. kind of gay but they were in a box with the other stuff near by so i set them up there.

promotional or intentionaly small but fully cuntional, scale items are more what i like. like little liquor bottles or the pelican case, jack or M3 camera.

bad example would be a pencil sharpener shaped like a phonograph. that is a gay.
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Just face it. This miniature stuff is gay. There's no way around it.
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Just face it. This miniature stuff is gay. There's no way around it.

Yeah, but it's girl on girl.
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

It's not Mini, but my Uncle just picked up this guy http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25215

He had had it for a few months now, and has taken some pretty crazy pictures with it. http://www.eltorero.net/US/index.html

He also got some underwater case for it so he can take it with him while SCUBA diving. I think the digital pictures are coming along and will be equal to film real soon. I just hope the price will come down so "normal" people can afford it....

Here are some other pictures he's taken. http://www.eltorero.net/GlobalIndex.htm
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Eric Siepmann

John,

Didn't think you were a Leica man...

I have the full sized version of the miniture. Still takes great pics and has some real character.

The holy grail for me was the Leica Historical Society M4 Black...

So nice.

EwS
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I've always wanted to get a M Leica. Its so damn convenient with digital cameras that I doubt I'll ever get one.

It's like music. The high end audiophile market is shrinking every year because of the convenience of compressed audio files, Ipods, etc.
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
John,

Didn't think you were a Leica man...

What did you think I was? Mr. Minolta?
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Eric Siepmann

No.

I didn't assume a brand but format.

Digital as opposed to the classic viewfinder.
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Digital as opposed to the classic viewfinder.

I find that analogous to Range Rover Sport RUSH as opposed to the Defender 90.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM
KI4WWU

The Key Ring

I know it's a Snap-On promotional item, but I want one of these key rings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minox003%20014.jpg (112.0 KB, 116 views)
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Eric Siepmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby
I find that analogous to Range Rover Sport RUSH as opposed to the Defender 90.

Interesting analogy.

Another interesting one is the parallel in the evolution in the D-90 along with that of the Leica. The 90 is now has an electronically controlled tdi, ABS and ETC fromt the factory. Similar to the new Leica M7. Both have Have the under-pinnings of their original utility but have had modern eletronics forced upon them to placate the consumer who feels that they are needed and a convienent. I like the M7 but is it any better than my III? Easier to use indeed but does all the electronic control improve the quality or art of the photograph?

EwS
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:18 AM
brian...

I don't know if it makes it easier to use but it does add a level of complexity for things to go wrong down the road.

It's sort of funny because my vehicle progression sort of went in the opposite direction to my camera progression. My first vehicle (paid & owned by me) was a Series because the previous vehicle that I had been using (one of my Dad's) had an ECU malfunction which ended up with the dealer buying the vehicle back.

My first camera was a Nikon 990 which I used quite a bit for work and vacations. It was a beautiful camera and did everything I wanted it to do, but I soon found myself wanting something with better resolution and clarity. Since my father had used a Nikon in the Antarctic with much success, I went through the FM2 to the F3HP and up to the F5. The F5 was a marvelous beast. It almost felt like a long lost child with speedlight and all, but it did not lend itself to the more basic lifestyle that I had been seeking since purchasing my Series.

That's when my love turned to the M6 with it's TTL. Simple. Compact. Gorgeous optics. Film loves this camera. If the metering goes out, it's not a big deal because everything else is mechanical. The DX coding of the M7 is nice because I find myself having to push and pull sometimes (not intentionally, of course).
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
I know it's a Snap-On promotional item, but I want one of these key rings.

Those keychains are sweet. I believe they're gone now, like the MINOX Hasselblad SWC and P7.
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I didn't know the CIA had a museum:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/information/artifacts/minox.htm
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

If your ever in DC, this is a cool place to check out. Worth the time! http://www.spymuseum.org/siteintro.asp
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The caption:

"This miniature 1/3 scale German FG-42 assault rifle is absolutely amazing! The German FG-42 is the grandfather of all modern assault rifles and they are extremely rare selling for in excess of $75,000.00 today. This first example, serial #01, took over 1800 hours to complete. Incredible workmanship and attention to detail. 100% fully functional including the bipod and magazine well doors. Includes the scope with mounts, 20 round box magazine, five dummy cartridges, grenade launcher, two different dummy grenades, grenade launcher sight, bayonet, and a dummy grenade launching blank cartridge. The scope in itself a masterpiece with over 25 parts, but does not have ground lenses, so it is not optically functional. Complete with a nice walnut casing with red velvet lining. The quality, accuracy, fit, and finish are superb! Satisfaction absolutely guaranteed. Limited edition of only ten pieces.

Price: $8,500.00 Only 1 left!"

Here are some more pics of the FG42:

There are many other very interesting miniatures on that site, including a 1/2 scale Borchardt for $3,250:

If you have $10k lying around and don't know what to do with it, take a look.
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Rob Davison

hmm...

if it shot little bullets i'd be sold.
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Tippmann Arms made firing miniature Browning machineguns. I'm not sure if they still make them, but they definitely made some in the past. They look like this:

The .30-cal Brownings were usually chambered in .22LR and the .50's were chambered in .22 Mag. I believe there are .17 Mags available as well.

Here's a video of the mini Brownings firing:

http://home.centurytel.net/lksd/linkvid.WMV

If Tippman ever made an MG34 version with buffered tripod, I would be in seriously deep shit.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Rob Davison

lol, man that is great. Though I'd rather have the minature rifle. That machine gun is a little scary but cool.

-rob
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:50 AM
kennith

Haven't been here in a while.

Some of those miniature firearms do indeed shoot little scale bullets. The ones that don't usually don't because the springs are made to scale, and thus haven't the power to fire the round. Most of them will cycle and eject the cartriges, however.

A member of my family has a downright massive collection of those, Supposedly the largest ever assembled, some from the tower of london, even. Quite a few of them are 1/4 scale, very tiny. All are handmade, by only a few people in the world, and he knows most of the makers. This has been an art since people started building the full size guns, but it is slowly dying off.

If you think the guns rock, you should see some of the miniature shop tools used to produce them. I might be able to score some pictures of some of them if anyone is interested. I have a few lying around here on a CD somewhere that I took for a magazine.

It's a pretty cool collection.

Cheers,

Kennith
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Rob Davison

Kennith, you're asking if you should take pictures of rare unique firearms and then post them?

wait and they are miniature too?

we'll be waiting for the pictures...
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM
kennith

Here is a set. This is the only set like this that exists. Not the most complicated of firearms, but they are gorgeous dualing pistols. And that's real ivory. 1/4 scale, and these shoot. The bullets are tweezer size. Too bad I didn't put a coin in the picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll have to get some shots of the GI Joe sized fully functional 1911s. I have a miniature gun as well, but it is on loan to the NRA museum currently, so unfortunately no pictures of the 1/4 scale luger with the detachable stock and all the other little accessories. They may have a website with a picture, though, I'll check.

There are hundreds more where this comes from, some wheellocks, axes with guns on them, chinese hand cannons, revolvers you could flush down a toilet, and miniscule Thompsons with functional drum magazines. Everything imaginable. I'll see if I can snap some photos of the more notable firearms over the next few days. The ones I shot for the magazine aren't exactly the type normally featured in EE discussions. There are some extremely complex firearms in this collection.

Cheers,

Kennith
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:10 PM
kennith

[IMG][/IMG]

Another set I have on the CD. I'll snap a shot of one in my personal collection later this evening. They get smaller than these I am showing you, I just don't have pictures of them yet.

Cheers,

Kennith