Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Yaesu KTM Mounting?

Last Saturday I looked at how/where to mount the Yaesu VX-7R to my bike after going for a ride.

Assuming I use an easily disconnectable mike/earpiece harness to the radio, where is the best place to mount the radio?

Looking at handlebar areas does not look promising due to space probs which leaves mounting it to the side of the fuel tank (?!?).

(Note: Excuse low quality pics-I had to shrink them several times to transfer)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaesu KTM Mount 004.jpg (64.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Yaesu KTM Mount 007.jpg (58.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Yaesu KTM Mount 009.jpg (64.4 KB, 51 views)
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

My concern with mounting directly onto the bike would vibrations. I am not sure how much the radio will take. Over time you may have problems.

If you do go for the handlebar mount you could try a RAM mount. I use one for the GPS on the GS and it works fairly well. It also does offer a bit of vibration protection. Not much... but a bit.
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Until I get it all figured out, I will probably carry the VX-7RB in my Camelback.
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I struggled with this on the XR650R as well. Your problem is that you're stuck on orienting the radio as if you were going to mess with it while riding, which believe me, you're not. You need to fix the radio running across the handle bars with the antenna pointing towards one of the grips. Then it will fit nicely.
like so:

(sorry i don't have a better pic on the machine at work)
The reality is, when you ride, you will get your radio all dialed in and then you'll be done. You'll even leave your Tx power at 5watts b/c you won't want to mess with it. At that point you just want the radio to be protected, from vibe, dust, etc.
I figured the ram-style mount would shake the hell out of the radio and leave it exposed so I used this:

(in black)
http://www.eaglecreek.com/40227.html
The deal here is that the EG pouch is nearly the exact size of the radio and allows the antenna to protroud from one side of the side of the top flap and your wiring (mic and dc supply) to run out the other. It protects the radio well, and it's easy to take the radio in and out for other usages. I strapped the case to the trimple clamp with two short cordura sections with fastex buckles. The straps go through the belt loop on the back, around the top clamp and then back over the whole radio and pouch to really lock it down. Murph's bike has gotten really hammered and we've never had an issue with it coming loose.

I highly recommend using the helmet designed mike and speakers. It installs very easily and the sound quality is excellent. You will need to remove some helmet padding to do it cleanly, but it's not too bad. It's also important to have the break-away and coil connection to the PTT harness so that when you take a digger you can come free of the bike without ripping your wiring out.
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Oh and in the spirit of things here's some early HamSexy HT Dxing pic:

That's me "working" murph at great distance while he's scouting on the bike.
It was at this point that I realized getting a mobile would probably beat standing on my roof all the time.

Please note:
plastic jerry cans, sweet red ratchet straps, toothpick tie rod and beat up dampener, small ATs, yellow irrigation shovel, still straight still intact factory rear bumper complete with OME and Yaesu sticker, mud flaps, immacculate factory sills and drooping exhaust resonator.

oh yeah.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

man, that's not only hamsexy, but roversexy as well. LOL

Old March 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Your problem is that you're stuck on orienting the radio as if you were going to mess with it while riding, which believe me, you're not.

I totally agree. Also, on the trail, there's a lot of stopping, walking and the occasional "off." You are not going to want to disconnect and earbud everytime for this. The camelbak should be the best solution, the only downside being the earbud cable whipping in the wind unless it's secured well to a shoulder strap. On the Mojave Rd trip, Mojave Rd , I stuck the HT (rubber duck ant.) in the inside pocket of my riding jacket; worked OK. How about one of those chest harnesses that the ski patrol uses? Too hamsexy?
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian
I totally agree. Also, on the trail, there's a lot of stopping, walking and the occasional "off." You are not going to want to disconnect and earbud everytime for this. The camelbak should be the best solution, the only downside being the earbud cable whipping in the wind unless it's secured well to a shoulder strap. On the Mojave Rd trip, Mojave Rd , I stuck the HT (rubber duck ant.) in the inside pocket of my riding jacket; worked OK. How about one of those chest harnesses that the ski patrol uses? Too hamsexy?

I checked out the ski patrol action b/c at the time they had them at the NF store by my house, but I wanted the bike to have a line coming from the stator so one way or another it was going to be attached to the bike. I figured better to mount to the bike and have one mic/speaker break-away coil going to the helmet than be all tactical and have your power line running to the bike with no easy break-away.

You also will need to have your PTT button to the right of your clutch lever, so that would be funky to wire up with the ski patrol action.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
You also will need to have your PTT button to the right of your clutch lever, so that would be funky to wire up with the ski patrol action.

how about VOX? Any decent stuff out yet? I've used VOX before, and they sucked. I was hoping by now they would have something that actually worked.

Old March 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
how about VOX? Any decent stuff out yet? I've used VOX before, and they sucked. I was hoping by now they would have something that actually worked.

way too much noise on the bike for VOX.
unless some new hotness has come out in the past three years.

I talked for a long time with the guys at my HRO. They set up all sorts of trucks and bikes for the baja 1000 and they had lots of good info.
they said don't mess with VOX and we didn't.
It's sort of funny to have an HRO that actually understands offroad applications for HAM, unlike the usual hamsexy porcupine magnetic antenna variety like so:
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm guessing Aaron's GS already looks like this:
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
How about one of those chest harnesses that the ski patrol uses? Too hamsexy?

Take that:

Not only does it hold the radio but it also makes it less likely that you will get tagged by a car. It's a win-win.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Hey! Don't involve my GS in your HamSexy slander.
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Hey! Don't involve my GS in your HamSexy slander.

GS = "Goldwing Special"
???
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
GS = "Goldwing Special"
???
Yeah!!! lol
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Take that:

Not only does it hold the radio but it also makes it less likely that you will get tagged by a car. It's a win-win.

Well, I was thinking about something a little more,... well, a nice shade of black.
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

You got me thinking about that PTT button. I had mine clipped to my collar, which obviously sucked to operate while moving. Handlebar mount would be sweet...
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
You got me thinking about that PTT button. I had mine clipped to my collar, which obviously sucked to operate while moving. Handlebar mount would be sweet...

Handlebar PTT is very easy and is rubberized and all that stuff. You just hit it with your left thumb.

I'll try to snap some detail pics of Murphy's bike soon and post them up.
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

How would a throat mic on VOX work for the bike?
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
How would a throat mic on VOX work for the bike?

You know, I asked about that.

The answer I got was that none of the commercially available throat mics were anywhere close to the level of the "professional" hardwear so it wasn't worth trying. Makes me think the throat mic would work if you got a really decent one. Not the stuff you see in the AES catalog.

I think that could be worth looking into. I'm certainly no expert on this stuff. I only did one install and it works well but I'm not suggesting its the only solution.
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Hmmm. Kristian may be on to something.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=2536&d=

Also solves the age-old problem of where to store that extra magazine.
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Rover Puppy

This thread brings up an extremely valid subject that I sincerely hope you will consider adding to the EE or the DiscoWeb forums.

Since we all have a history of operating in unusual places, perhaps you can add a dedicated a "ham radio" section where we can ask strange questions and also share successful operation methods?

For example, after I got my mobile set up installed in my truck, I removed it to the outdoors to "field test" it as a completely stand alone unit during out Tuesday night net. My first try was unsuccessful. My second try was successful, but very weak.

I was advised to attach the mag mount to a shovel and get the shovel up to a higher location. After doing that, it worked awesomely, transmission was very clear!

I thought that was the coolest thing, especially since we all carry a shovel in our rigs. I would have never thought that a shovel and a mag mont could be a great antenna!!
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

That is a nice bike.

I like the battery install job in front of the Briggs & Stratton (or is that a Tecumseh?). Very clean.

Hands look a little cold when keying the mike, though.
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Rover Puppy