Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Event of Epic Proportions This Weekend

OK, this could be big. Check out:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._19048,00.html

I hope this doesn't turn out to be some candy-ass Captain Kirk Iron Chef with lame judges. If Chairman Kaga is hosting, then it should be excellent. We'll see this weekend.

We'll also see that punk ass Bobby Flay get his ass kicked by Iron Chef Sakai, and also that tub of lard Mario Batali get sent home by Iron Chef Morimoto. Or at least that's how I predict things will turn out. As with most things, time will tell.

Don't miss this epic event. Be there or be square.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:24 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Allez Dissapointment!

Get set to get let down if you have hopes of seeing Mr. Takeshi.

This studio gangsta version will be hosted by some perpetrating martial arts master. Not only will Flay and his ilk be present but later on there will be team battles where sacriledge of sacriledge bobby will be partnered with the esteemed Morimotosan.

"Indubitable signs teach us that this globe has already undergone several complete changes, which have been in effect ends of the world; and I do not know what instinct is is which warns us that there will be still more of them"

-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM
David Woo

it's gonna be good

Lol, man, Emma and Micah have been talking about this for a couple of weeks. I expect the iron chefs to clean up.

That Chairman Kaga is some piece of work... scary.
DW
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Master Chef Gabrielle could kick all their butts!!!

I've got the belly to prove it!!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

No Chairman Kaga? That sucks. He's the one who makes the show. I like all of the characters on Iron Chef, from Dr. Yukio Hattori and his expert culinary commentaries to Kenji Fukui and his slick announcing. And who could forget about the frequent hottie on the celebrity guest panel. But the sine qua non of Iron Chef is unquestionably Chairman Kaga.

I just hope Bobby Flay and Molto Mario get hammered. It would be even better had the Molto Mario battle been between Iron Chef Italian and Molto Mario. It would be hilarious watching that Ziploc-using fat ass get beat by a Japanese chef.

I'll watch this Iron Chef tournament but it just won't be the same without Kaga.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

aaron, does master chef gabrielle have any new dishes to present? perhaps we can do something of our own, and let john be the chairman....

i have a new way of preparing beef ribs.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
David Woo

not another photoshop photo

Ho, now, don't give Mike V any ideas: that one shot of JL with his kid was quite enough.
DW
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

and the theme ingredient???

let me know if you guys want a spoiler for the first battle.

don't want to deny anyone the drama of the unveiling.

actually this time around the challenger and iron chef are given two possible theme ingredients well in advance and then on gameday it's one of the two. lots of time to plan and prep.

unlike kitchen stadium where they have no idea.
i swear.
they have no idea.
they're just that good.
no prep.

it's not staged.
it's too pure. too amazing.
can't be staged. can't be staged. can't be staged.

only the bastardized american version involves prep.

...or so I keep telling myself.

I'm going to have to form my own "Ohta Faction" to be defenders of true Iron Chef Cuisine.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

If my memory serves me right, the chefs on Iron Chef have a small list of possible theme ingredients before the battle, so they do in fact have time to get some planning and pre-runs in before the actual battle. I don't know if the list of possibles is two or three or five, but it certainly can't be that many.

I think the show is like this because the ingredients necessary to cover any and all possible theme ingredients would be impossible to gather. Also, the results of a complete surprise theme ingredient wouldn't be worthy of tasting and "judgement".
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
curtis

Cool

"I don't know if the list of possibles is two or three or five, but it certainly can't be that many."

Not to put a damper on the excitement, but take note that Kraft Singles and Oscar Mayer are two of the major sponsors.

Lets just hope they give them more than two.

I will still be watching even if they are making hot dogs and hamburgers
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally posted by hochung
aaron, does master chef gabrielle have any new dishes to present? perhaps we can do something of our own, and let john be the chairman....

i have a new way of preparing beef ribs.

Don't you worry Ho! The ever-so-lovely Gabrielle will have new dishes to tease your palate!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

oooohhh. is it going to be lamb? or something else?

Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Lamb? Veal?

I love baby animals. They're delicious.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
curtis

"i have a new way of preparing beef ribs."

Ho - I think it is about time I sent you smoker shopping
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:32 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

curtis, smoking is great, but i still beef in it's true form. without much make up.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
curtis

Ho - it is not the smoke that makes the rib great. It is the slow cooking. Most grills and fire pits cook at way too high of a temp for good meat (450deg+). A smoker allows a slow cook of the meat at 225deg or less. This allows for the fats and collagen to truly break down in the most savorable manner. Grills and fire pits are for those that do not have the patience for good meat

Matter of fact, I rarley use wood in my smoker with ribs and other meats with high surface volume to meat ratios. I allow the seasoning of the smoker to add just the hint of flavor necessary. In this manner, a decent-yet-mild rub will season the ribs properly.

Slow cook ribs my friend. It is the only way to go.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Curtis, I agree on smoked meats. A few years ago after going to North Carolina and sampling local pork BBQ, I bought a New Braunfels smoker. There's nothing like properly smoked pulled pork or Memphis style ribs. Chicago has some great restaurants but no good BBQ. You have to make it on your own.

That being said, 450F+ grilling obviously has its place. You wouldn't want to cook a filet mignon or a rib-eye at 225F.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

well, i guess i'll check out the smokers when i do my backyard remodeling.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
Rob Davison

Pork????

John Lee: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.

Mike Rupp: Yeah but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

John Lee: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother-fu**ers. Pigs sleep and root in sh**. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eating nothing that ain't got sense enough to disregard his own feces.

Mike Rupp: How 'bout a dog? Dog eats his own feces.

John Lee: I don't eat dog either. {Unless cooked Korean style}

Mike Rupp: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?

John Lee: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but they definitely dirty. But, dog's got personality; personality goes a long way.

Mike Rupp: Ahh, so by that rational, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?

John Lee: Well, we'd have to be talking one charming mother-fu**ing pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Well, there's one problem with that one, Rob. Koreans do eat dog.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Snow Peak Stix Have Landed

OK, this is big. Pokerob just sent us three sets of the Snow Peak Travel Chopsticks. For those of you are unfamiliar with these high-tech stix, check out:

http://www.snowpeak.com/gear/sct003.html

I'm playing with them as I type this and I must admit they're kinda cool. Very high quality too.

Now I can eat my dog with some high-tech utensils.

Thank you!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Rob Davison

I knew once you handled them you would be a convert... lol
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
curtis

Oh shit! Rob, that is super slick of you. Win the battle by giving them as gifts

Mike - you are exactly right on the Filets. Hell, even pork loins come out tasting dry and funny after slow cooking. There has to be a certain amount of fat in the meat for slow cooking to do its magic. Super-lean beef & prok cuts just don't work well. However, your typical BBQ stuff does: tri tips, ribs, brisket, etc... Chicken, turkey, and many fish also come out great.

Damn guys - all this talk of food is making me hungry.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Rob, keep an eye out in the mail at work.

On the smoke vs. grill, I definitely think both methods have their place. Curtis' pork ribs at the ICS2 were just superb. I don't think I have ever had grilled ribs that good. But I definitely like a crispy outside on thick cuts of meat, and that to my novice way of looking at things comes only from the grill. I just love a thick ribeye that is grilled to perfection. The outside isn't burned to a crisp, but there are grill marks on the outside and definitely some char action going on. And the outer edge of fat is a little crispy and slightly torched. Few things in life are better than crispy fat. The taster might think the meat is overcooked at first glance, but when he slices it open, the inside is medium rare or rare and very juicy. The different textures in the mouth (crispy crust of meat, crispy fat, cooked inner meat, rare inner core meat, and the liquid fat oozing from the meat with every chew) compliment the supreme taste of the meat. No steak sauce required.

Curtis, have you tried smoking beef ribs? I love beef ribs but sometimes they are sinewy and difficult to eat. Are beef ribs from the smoker just as good and easy to eat as your smoked pork ribs?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
curtis

Not really. You pretty much nailed it with your description. Pork ribs are purely a superior meat product to beef ribs. I find this somwhat unusual since many beef cuts are far better than pork. I have done beef ribs on both grill and smoker and the smoker definitely helps, but it just ain't quite up to par. I am curious to know and try Ho's new technique with them so I can bring the beef rib into my good graces.

For that matter, I am not even that big of a fan of baby back ribs (pork). While they can turn out well in both smoker and grill, to my taste there is just no rib that can compare to a decent smoked cut of pork spare ribs.