Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Rover Puppy

I tried it, but that didn't work. I didn't think it would, but it was worth a try.

I don't want to try to pull it an harder and end up damaging it. It's just wedged in there as tight as it could be - almost like it is glued in.

The antenna is in perfect condition. It was also extremely well packaged for transit, so I'm sure it couldn't have been damaged or dropped along the way where it might have been hurt. It's just wedged in their too tight from the manufacturer.

In any case, I'm totally confident that it will be just fine if I can get it to release just once. My mobile Comet antenna was tight at the beginning, but it has gotten easy to move as time has progressed.

My comet wasn't this tight though. I'm hoping to get it to release without having to pay to send it back to you for you to get it lose.

As I trie pulling it lose and adding a bit of twisting to the pull, it will twist to unscrew from the base, but that's it. It still won't allow upward movement.

Any idea of something I could try? Like lightly lubricating it with dishwasher detergent or something?

Thanks again.

Best Regards Jamie, Blue, and Angel
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Rover Puppy

Thanks Reed

No salt crystals, I didn't take it out of the package until yesterday. I've been so busy that I forgot about it.

I'm home trying to catch up on some things I've been putting off doing. The antenna was in my collection of "things to do" when I had the time to get to them. It was still in the package and the also the packaging it was shipped in.

I put it on my truck yesterday, but then put my comet back in it's place until I get the tilt issue resolved. Just trying to get it working so that I can use it. There are 2 repeaters I communicate with that I occassionally need to tilt my Comet to get a better signal.

My handheld Diamond is working out so well that I'm anxious to see what a difference my Diamond mobile antenna makes.

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Rover Puppy

I was a bit surprised too.

I live on the Gulf of Mexico and one of the counties I do volunteer work is Hillsborough County, which is west of my county.

One of the weekly emergency nets we hold is on one of the repeaters with the antenna on the big tower at the Hillsborough County EOC (Emergecny Operations Center).

The EOC is NE of downtown Tampa.

Most of the time, I can hit the repeater just fine with my Comet mobile antenna on my truck and my Kenwood D700. Occasionally, maybe once a month, the communications are scratchy. I'm not sure if it is because of weather conditions, atmosphere, or what. In any case, our Net Control always informs me when my transmissions aren't up to par. Reaching up and tilting my Comet antenna in the direction of the tower, just a few degrees, maybe 10 or 15, always helps. I don't know why, I've kind of quit trying to figure out the mysteries of radio communications. If it works - great, if it doesn't, I fiddle around until it gets better. The "whys" escape me at times. When I set my Comet at an angle, it stays there - but I only do that while I'm parked, I don't drive around with it tilted.

I'm so totally impressed with the Diamond Antenna products that I have a feeling this new antenna is going to way out perform the Comet I've been using. I'll keep the Comet as a back up.

Recently, I've quit trying to hit far away antennas with my mobile radio and mobile antenna. I have an aluminum J-Pole that I've fallen in love with. I put it up attached to a fiberglass pole on the side of my truck - it takes just seconds - and plug that wire into my Kenwood. It works like magic!! I might look like a lunatic doing that, but oh well, it works, and the important thing is getting the job done.

I've decided that I like how it performs so well that I've been looking for a way to carry the fiberglass pole on my roof rack. I posted a thread asking about that on Dweb this week. Here's the link: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23844

I inherited a crank up tower a few months ago. It is on it's side beside my house. I considered putting it up, but I'm hesitant to do it. They come down during hurricanes and I really don't want to have to worry about that. For me, keeping my rigs totally mobile is best, at least at the present time.

Thanks again for your help. I'm a bit hesitant to put oil on the antenna. Is Militec a penetrating oil? If it is, and it wouldn't harm the antenna joint, perhaps I'll try it.

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:43 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Militec isn't a penetrating oil, as it's too thick.

I think the best method for getting your antenna to hinge would to install it, thread it on snug, and then pull straight up on the shank with the two set screws in the side.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Rover Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Militec isn't a penetrating oil, as it's too thick.

I think the best method for getting your antenna to hinge would to install it, thread it on snug, and then pull straight up on the shank with the two set screws in the side.

Thanks for the idea.

I tried it... still nothing.

I also tried wrapping a damp warm cloth around that section for a few minutes while holding it to see if that helped. It didn't. The reason I tried that was because the difficulty of getting the rubber boot portion of a power tank to slip onto the tank. It has to be held in warm water in order for it to go on. I didn't want to soak my antenna in water though! That's why I just held the damp cloth on.

If you have any other ideas, please post and I'll try them.

Thanks again for your help.

Old August 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Maybe try turning the shank? I think the shank bonded to the loading coil somehow. The shank is normally free to turn 360 degrees, so turning it won't damage it. Also, it might be easier to turn the shank than pulling the shank straight up.

If you have a strap wrench, try turning the shank.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll you out a replacement and a call tag for your current antenna.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Rover Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Maybe try turning the shank? I think the shank bonded to the loading coil somehow. The shank is normally free to turn 360 degrees, so turning it won't damage it. Also, it might be easier to turn the shank than pulling the shank straight up.

If you have a strap wrench, try turning the shank.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll you out a replacement and a call tag for your current antenna.

You must be correct, because the shank does not turn. I didn't even know that it is supposed to turn.

I have the Snap On Catalog open in front of me. I looked up 'strap wrench" in the index. The index referred me to page 175, but I don't see anything on page 175 that specifically says "strap wrench". I think my Snap On Pliers are just "normal" pliers.

However, I do have a snap on tool that looks kind of like the "Pipe Wrench Pliers" on page 175. The bend in my Snap On Pliers in not that extreme. Will that tool work?

That is what I was considering using earlier in the post when I said that I might try freeing it with pliers. If that will be okay, I can gently wrap one of those pretty light pink protective cloths that I purchased from EE around the antenna. Then, try to gently turn the shank.

Before doing that, I will wait for your ok. If you would prefer that I not try it, we can do the cross shipment for a replacement. In any case, I'm extra glad that I didn't attempt to use the antenna or attempt to use a more extreme method to tilt it.

As always, I'm grateful for EE's excellent customer support. Had I thought that it was an unusual "problem" I would have contacted you directly. I thought it's resistance to tilt was just a "normal" new antenna minor type of issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Old August 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's definitely not normal. I get the feeling the powdercoating on your shank may have bonded somehow to the loading coil during storage.

I'll give you call on Sunday to arrange return of that antenna.
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Rover Puppy

Thanks John Lee

Just let me know, a phone call isn't necessary.

I'll place this one back in its packaging and shipping tube so it is ready for return whenever I receive the call back information.

I'm looking forward to your diagnosis after you receive it and inspect it. I'm quite curious about the mystery of this beautiful antenna.

I hope you know that I continue to have the highest faith in all of EE's products. And of course, Diamond Antenna products. I'm having such marvelous success with all of my Diamond Antenna products and accessories - I doubt I'll go back to other brands. My other brands have moved into "back up" positions.

Thanks again!

Old August 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Rover Puppy

I received my replacement NR770HB and it works just like you said it should!!

Old August 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

It should be interesting to see what made the other one stick.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Rover Puppy

I think you will receive it today.

I'm anxious to get your diagnosis.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

We got it this morning.

This sucka is STUCK. I've tried everything and thus far no joy.

I'll send it back to Diamond.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Rover Puppy

Thanks!

I'm glad to know that you couldn't get it to move either.