Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 27th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Snwbord24

99 DII spring conversion

I'll be helping my buddy convert his rear airbags to coils (hopefully Friday) and install a 3" lift. The mechanics part is easy assuming he gets the spring seats from the dealer this week. Everything else he ordered yesterday afternoon.

It was suggested that he have his computer reprogrammed by the dealer for non-sls. If he does this then I guess it's not a big deal. If he can't get this done what are the other options? Will the override harness for the RR work for the DII?

Also, where is the compressor for the sls located? We're thinking possibly of using this compressor for onboard air. It may not be very fast but it's cheap since it's already there.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

"It was suggested that he have his computer reprogrammed by the dealer for non-sls. If he does this then I guess it's not a big deal. If he can't get this done what are the other options? Will the override harness for the RR work for the DII?"

If your dealer won't tell the ECU to ignore all SLS functions, then I suppose you could try more cheeseball methods like pulling fuses and such. I've never tried these methods so I don't know if they will work or not.

"Also, where is the compressor for the sls located? We're thinking possibly of using this compressor for onboard air. It may not be very fast but it's cheap since it's already there."

The compressor is mounted to the frame below the driver's seat. It's not powerful enough.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Snwbord24

Thanks for the reply.

I guess if the only light that it sets off on the dash is the SLS light then we can just remove that bulb.

The compressor isn't powerfull enough for what? I'm assuming it's a high pressure/low volume pump right? Although I have no idea what pressures the airbags run at so it might be low pressure as well. If it's at least 60 psi it should be able to air up tires, just very slowly. It might be feasible to feed it to an air tank. Definately won't be runniing air tools off of it. If no one has done this I may try it just to see how it goes. Hate to have the pump go to waste.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:24 PM
cwdavis4

I am getting ready to do a 2" lift and asked the local LR dealership to disable the SLS. They stated for legal reasons they can't disable until I physically remove the airbags and replace with coils.

I really don't understand why not. I thought the SLS only raised the back. So I don't understand the risk in disabling.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Snwbord24

I would think that if you disabled it prior to having the springs installed the airbags would deflate completely. You don't want to be driving around like that. Good to know that they said they'd do it afterwards though.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:52 PM
Snwbord24

Did the SLS to spring conversion on Friday. Only issue was that the rear spring seat perches were not tapped. Quick fix with tap and die set, 10 mm 1.50 pitch tap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3inchome.jpg (181.3 KB, 162 views)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
Snwbord24

Tapping threads in perch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tap.jpg (38.3 KB, 165 views)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Snwbord24

prelift shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stock.jpg (51.8 KB, 162 views)
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Very nice.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Snwbord24

Definately nice. I'm jealous now and am going to have to get some 1" spacers so he'll shut up about having 1 more inch than me .

We took it out Saturday and it worked great. He doesn't get quite the articulation I do since he has ACE and can't remove the bars but it was nice with no rubbing from the 265/75R16's.