Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Need Field Kitchen Advice

Does anybody know of a good knife roll? Just like a tool roll or wrench roll, but for knives. Like these:

Right now, I'm leaning toward this one:

http://www.amazon.com/J-A-Henckels-3...617501?ie=UTF8

or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/W%fcsthof-12-P...&s=home-garden

Obviously, I'm leaning toward those two because I'm familiar with the two brands. I don't know enough about knife rolls to know which are good or bad.

My needs are very simple, and I am definitely out of my element in the kitchen. However, I don't want to settle for just any knife roll if there is some sweet Snap-on/Rolex/OMEGA/Iron Chef/Last Samurai knife roll that I would end up wanting if I saw it later on.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience a solid knife roll, please chime in.
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just ran across this one in my Googling:

http://www.koobikit.com/product.html

I kinda dig this one. I like this bit:

"This bag was not manufactured by a cutlery company simply as a carrying vessel for their core business--knives. Life in a restaurant is a daily challenge, cooks in general look to create efficiencies within their areas of responsibility.... It will hold all of your knives, spatulas, spoons, box cutters and other such tools deemed necessary by the modern culinary and pastry professional."

Seems well thought out. I have no idea because I don't cook, but I like the seemingly general-purpose nature of the kit. I like their arrogance too. I like it when designers scoff at existing designs and come up with something they think is the right way to do things.

I think these are the available colors:

Cost is $65. The Koobi measures 20" x 8" in length and width. I guess height depends on how much stuff you have inside it. 20" x 8" is a workable size though, as it's very close to most camp burners. You can see here that it has three separate zipper compartments:

It doesn't seem to hold that many knives:

I think that's a good thing for me. How many knives am I going to need on the trail with my limited cooking skills? The other knife rolls that hold 8 to 20 knives seem a little ridiculous for my limited needs. Just as important as the knives are the other kitchen implements:

Unless someone else suggests something better, I think I might have to order up a Koobi and give it a try.
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM
ryanspeed

Rather than looking for a pre-made one; go to a good saddle-maker and have one made to fit your quiver...
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm such a rookie at cooking I would buy the knife roll and then buy the knives to fill it. I have no idea what I'm looking for. You know, like those guys who go to Sears and buy a socket rack, and then proceed to fill the rack with sockets they don't even know if they need or not. That's me in this kitchen stuff.
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Steve Cooper

There's a pretty well known chef's supply store in Culver City that has some Messermeisters listed - they have lots of other cool stuff too...

https://www.surfasonline.com/products/7057.cfm
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Rob Davison

with all that vinyl you would really need to make sure your stuff is super clean or that will get pretty funky and ripe. I 'd stick with something that doesn't have the clear vinyl.
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm liking the Wusthof.

But what do I know?
I still rock the cardboard and duct tape travel sheath in the camp kitchen set.
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

The only thing I can add is that for a field cooking setup, the only knife you'll need is a chef's knife. While a chef's knife might not do every task perfectly, it will do just about all tasks well.

In my kitchen knife block, I have a chef's knife, carving knife, serrated bread knife, boning knife, paring knife, and a utility slicing knife. For about 90% of my kitchen tasks, I use the chef's knife. The next used is my boning knife, but I can't imagine that you'll be boning any chickens' in the field.

My Global 10" chef's knife is my primary home knife, but the steel is very thin and supposedly easy to break. I have a older 8" Wustof Chef knife that I use as my field knife.

I like the Henkels knife roll. You aren't going to need to bring that many utensils, so keep it simple and small for a field kit.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:23 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
The only thing I can add is that for a field cooking setup, the only knife you'll need is a chef's knife.

Mike is right, all you need is an 8" chefs knife

and then one of these.

or even better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kid-smartliving_1916_18115908.jpg (15.0 KB, 851 views)
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

i like it!

Old October 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
brian...

knives and carrier

For most cooking purposes, a really good chef's knife will do almost everything you need...depending on the user's abilities of course. But that notwhithstanding, I would choose a chef's knife in the same manner that you would choose a classic timepiece or a shotgun.

First, find a chef's knife that feels right in your hands. Does it have a good balance? Is the weight distributed well along the entire knife? What type of steel is the knife made of? Is it aesthetically pleasing to you?

I think that a good knife for your camping needs would be one of the following because not everyone likes to carry around a 10" Chef's knife while camping or heavy German cutlery (heh heh heh):

Global Chef's Knife, 8"
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...&cm%5Fsrc=None

or

Global Asian Chef's Knife, 7"
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...&cm%5Fsrc=None

Supplemented by this knife if you have pretty decent knife skills and won't inadvertanly cut a finger off:

Global Flexible Boning Knife
http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...0&PRRFNBR=4130

With these knives and the proper care, you will be able to do just about anything, foodwise, at or away from home.

Once you find the knives that you like, I would take Ryan's advice and have some knife sheaths/carriers made for them. The Koobi carriers are a good idea except I don't like how they are implemented. I would like to see a more robust system to house the knives without requiring their own sheaths (plastic or whatever).
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

May not be what you're looking for, but I've had very good luck with these knives. http://www.gunterwilhelm.com

This kit is pretty cool, although it's a lower quality knife. I think it would make a nice camping/BBQ set. http://www.gunterwilhelm.com/shop/pr.../109/dept_id/3

This is a sweet set-up, too. http://www.gunterwilhelm.com/shop/pr...d/97/dept_id/3

But, here is a nice folding bag, if that's what you really want. http://www.gunterwilhelm.com/shop/pr.../108/dept_id/7
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That kit is tempting me.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

That one might be a bit too uptown for a rookie. The description reads:
"Travel Set for Professional Chefs"

How about this one;

http://store.parkplacestores-landrov.com/bbqset.html

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

That kit is tempting me.

Yeah, but it's missing an Ice Cream scoop.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Brian, I agree that Global Knives are great for a home kitchen, but in terms of durability a heavy German chef's knife can't be beat. John has an appreciation of German goods and I doubt wouldn't mind the extra weight.

John, forget the 50 piece set. That just screams of rookie to me. Get an 8" chef's knife, that Henkels roll and put in the few other utensils you'll need. Save all that extra space and you'll have room for a nice bamboo cutting board.
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

No way man. That aluminum suitcase is calling me.
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
That one might be a bit too uptown for a rookie. The description reads:
"Travel Set for Professional Chefs"

How about this one;

http://store.parkplacestores-landrov.com/bbqset.html

Those kit are fun to look at, but they pretty much suck. I've got one I received as a Christmas gift.

The "tongs" are so stiff, it's hard to even pick up a chicken wing. You may as well forget about flipping something like grilled squash, zucchini, or asparagus.

The splasher is very cumbersome, too. It might be okay for flipping a 1" thick Porterhouse; but stuff like burgers, you almost get too much leverage and end up shoving them through the back of the grill.

What is nice, is actually having the tools. They're better than nothing, but there are certainly better options.

Edit: Oh, wow! I just clicked the link. $115.00???? You can get the same set, without the Land Rover logo, at TJ Maxx for $19.99.
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Edit: You can get the same set, without the Land Rover logo, at TJ Maxx for $19.99.

BAM !

Old October 17th, 2006, 02:27 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

LOL... that might barely fit in your 1650... LOL
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Ryan Tolentino

I totally agree w/ everyone that an 8" chef's knife is all you need to do most culinary tasks around the campsite, but how about this idea?

Japanese/German technology all wrapped in one awesome package!

7" Santoku w/ Hollow Edge "Professional S" by Zwilling J.A. Henckels

"One of the most unique uses of this knife is its ability to cut thin slices without sticky foods sticking to the blade. This is due to the hollow recesses called grantons that create small air pockets between the blade and that being sliced to keep the food from sticking."

Feel the hollow-edge love!
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
No way man. That aluminum suitcase is calling me.

Talk about rookie, you can't be serious. Those knives look cheap and the chef's knife is a joke, the shape of the blade is all wrong.

This is just like what you told me when it came to a field tool set. Start with a few things and then build as you need. In this case start with a Wusthof 8" chef's knife and see what else you'll need from there.

I only bring an 8" chef's knife with me, I think one or twice I also brought a santoku knife for vegetables.

The idea of the knife roll seemed like an unnecessary purchase at first; however, once again as Mike pointed out, using it for a few other kitchen tools would be nice. A veggie peeler, spatula, cheese grater, etc. are good to have in a field set.

Just to reiterate, you do not know how big of a mistake buying that suitcase of crap is. Do not get it or even joke about getting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4182014.jpg (8.2 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by sheki : October 17th, 2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I think one or twice I also brought a santoku knife for vegetables.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Talk about rookie, you can't be serious. Those knives look cheap and the chef's knife is a joke, the shape of the blade is all wrong.

Look cheap? No way. Look at the blade material:

Look really hard. That's damascus, baby. DAMASCUS!
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Quote:

That kit is tempting me.

stealth field medieval torture set in a modern aluminum case.

instead of knife and tool flat pockets... this look cleaner and better way to store the knives...

and i can see john doing this w/ this P7 holster on the other side.