K6YJ

By Appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II:

She even has the Genuine Parts doggie guard and seat covers:

But of course.
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Britain's Prince Charles sits in an open 1948 Land Rover at the Land Rover factory in Solihull, West Midlands, central England on May 13, 2008. Prince Charles visited the factory and celebrated the 60th anniversary of Land Rover on Tuesday.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old July 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old July 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Rob Davison

What I like about that the best are the replica tires. Everything else looks fake.

Old August 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Classless and selfless.

Old August 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

That makes me miss Land Rover in Action.
Bring it back.
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I miss those pages as well. They were a lot of fun. I just looked over those pages and it's remarkable how much my tastes have changed. I used to like the pics where the Land Rover was the centerpiece of the pic. Now those are the rookie pics. Now I prefer the pics where the Land Rover is just in the pic and little else. Here are a few of my favorites.

Australian 6x6 Land Rovers peep the carnage:

That plane (MiG?) got worked. I'm guessing it got hit from the air, but I have no real idea.

I like this pic because it shows the hideousness of the Wolf snorkels:

Those Wolf snorkels are so ugly they're bitchin.

One day my ammo stash will look like that. I love how the packing straps are all rusted from exposure, but the painted cans are still in good shape. You just know the ammo within is minty fresh.

Another Wolf gets airlifted:

I'm guessing it's being lifted by the JATE rings.

Another one:

That's a beautiful photo. Too bad the trailer is there. It spoils the pic.

This is one of my favorites of the favorites:

That's some presidential palace in Basrah. And it certainly looks like a nice place. These Land Rovers are going Uptown. You can get another glimpse of that ridiculous Wolf snorkel. That thing is awesome.

This one is funny:

I wonder if that's a bullet hole in Saddam's forehead.

This pic is funnier to me now than it was when I first saw it:

The hamsexiness of this pic was lost on me many years ago. Now it definitely adds to the pic.

But the funniest part of the pic for me is how these Wolves are painted. They look as though someone just masked off the windows and lights and painted everything else. Everything's painted. The pintle, the JATE rings, the lug nuts, the drive flanges, etc. Everything. They probably painted the tires as well but the paint rubbed off. I get the exigencies of wartime and all that, but the pic is still funny. These trucks look a lot like those M4gery "builds" nowadays where the guy takes the can of Krylon tan and goes to town.

The jerrycan compartments on the sides of the Wolves are sweet. At least I think they're for Jerrycans. This is much more elegant than the spare tire compartments on the Australian 6x6s:

That giant hole in the side just cracks me up.

These are Australian Special Air Service soldiers. You know they're hispeed for several reasons. They're not wearing helmets; helmets are for chumps. They don't shave. Shaving is for the regular personnel. Their Land Rovers have six wheels rather than four. And, most probative of all, they use M4s. The AUGs for chumps. Real deal SAS soldiers use ARs.

I like this shot of the same crew:

That's an M4 with the carry handle removed and an ELCAN optical sight in its place.

Look right behind the 6x6 and just in front of the M4's front sight. These guys are engaging in some range time, probably to zero their weapons.

And look at the beautiful hills in the background. If it weren't for the war, that would be an awesome place to visit and explore.

Another Australian SAS man with an M4 and 6x6:

He's paying homage on ANZAC Day.

That barrel looks awfully long. It looks weird. The M203 cut looks very long and the barrel looks like a 16-incher rather than the 14.5" length found on the American M4s. It's probably an M4 barrel and it's just the angle.

Here's a very elegantly clad British soldier in front of an armored Defender:

This guy looks sharp. I like it when soldiers look like this rather than unshaven thugs with masks. Unfortunately, it's all the rage right now for our best troops to look and act like thugs. They probably watched too many basketball games.

Nice shot here:

That looks like some Busch Gardens action.

These Wolves look fresh off the assembly line:

No funky snorkels and no mystery-plastic hardtops, but they're still looking sweet.

I like this pic:

Those funky Wolf grills are sweet, but the thing that strikes me about this pic is the the Pinzies in the back. Note the tremendous amount of ground clearance under the Pinzies' portals. Look along the line of Pinzies. Look back and forth a few times. Then look at the Land Rovers. They look tremendously squatted, don't they? They look as though they were actually lowered. And the wheels look as though they're sticking out the side, like some chump installed wheel spacers behind the Wolf wheels. That's the power of portals.

SFOR Disco:

This Disco is looking sweet. Note the clear windows and the Disco steelies. Very nice.

Disco in its natural habitat:

This is one of my all-time favorites:

Sorry it's not a better pic. It's a scan from a book I have. It's two SAS soldiers after eating lunch on the Rangie's tail gate. It's hard to tell in that pic, but the guy in the rear is sporting a Hi-Power and the guy in the front has an MP5. You'll have to trust me that it's a sweet pic on paper.

I think this one is still my favorite:

I posted that earlier in this thread. I love those red tunics and bearskin hats with gold chain chin straps. Love the bluish gray coats too. These guys look bitchin.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

These are sweet Defenders being built:

Check out the wheels on the one in the rear. The tires look like 7.50 XZLs, but the alloys with the open drive flange and recessed lug nuts are a mystery.

I think I like the one in the back more than the one in the front. The one in the front is a little too tanned out for me Everything is tan. The wing vents are tan. The tool mounts are tan. The snorkel is tan (love those baby snorkels). The bumper is tan. The one in the back still has a good chunk of black mixed in with the tan. It looks more legit to me. It doesn't have that assembled-and-then-painted over look.

The rear of the one in the rear:

It's looking sweet from this few as well. Note the screw heads below the rear door. They're still white. And the steel flashing under the rear door is still galvanized. The other miscellaneous parts have their original finish as well. The light above the license plate isn't painted over, for example.

I love how the seats are still gray and the slides are still black:

The shotgun seat he appears to installing is a mystery. The driver's seat has no such frame for the back. I'm not sure what that frame is. It's not an ejection seat.

I'm guessing the interiors of those tanned-out Wolves in the Gulf are still green. Here we have a tan interior to match the exterior, and it's looking very factory and very sharp.

I love that steering wheel. I wish I had one in my truck. George at Rovers Down South had these wheels. I ordered one, only to find out it didn't fit my steering column's splines. I was seriously bummed.

You can see the mark on the right side of that steering column. The Defender steering columns are pre-stressed here for a rear fog switch. The cut-out is the mirror-image of the cut-out for the headlight switch. This truck is dying for a rear fog switch. Like this:

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

That Camel Trophy Discovery pic is the very pic that first got me interested in Land Rovers back in '97 or '98 when I was just a Jeep driver. Look at the intact stock endcaps. Perfect.

Old August 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

The mid-nineties were the glory days for me as well. The NAS D-90, Disco1 and P38 were all in showrooms. Dealerships (Centres) looked like fly-fishing lodges. Everything from Toyota and Jeep was lame. We had the fully boxed frame, coil sprung straight axles, four-wheel disc brakes, full-time fourwheeldrive and aluminum V8. They didn't. Land Rover was king. Camel Trophy was at it's peak. Life was good.

Now the vehicles are still great but the magic is just gone.
I think the Land Rovers in Action are the only thing keeping it going.

When John posts pics like this:

and this:

together, it's no accident.

The common thread is there.

It's distinctly absent here:

These service pictures of Wolf Defenders and the like are the only contemporary images that still stir the heart.
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
But the funniest part of the pic for me is how these Wolves are painted. They look as though someone just masked off the windows and lights and painted everything else. Everything's painted. The pintle, the JATE rings, the lug nuts, the drive flanges, etc. Everything. They probably painted the tires as well but the paint rubbed off. I get the exigencies of wartime and all that, but the pic is still funny. These trucks look a lot like those M4gery "builds" nowadays where the guy takes the can of Krylon tan and goes to town.

I think all of the MOD trucks that Land Rover manufactures come off the line in OD green. Then they get painted for the theater they go to in the fashion you described above. Only the ones that stay green aren't completely painted over.

My 110 was originally green, then painted sand (probably for the Gulf War) and then back to green again. It had a lot of shitty paint job layered on to it. When I sanded my wheels to paint them they had gone black-green-sand and back to black.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Just to change it up a bit, here's a stocker:

I love this Rangie Classico. It's all there: the ugly paint, the clear windows, the hideously ugly Rostyle steelies that are trying to be allloys but didn't quite make it, the Japanese side mirrors, the exposed door hinges, the slotted bumper for the hand crank. I wish this pic were taken from the driver's side so that the exposed fuel filler would show. Tell me with a straight face the Range Rover Sport even dares to dream to compare to this beaut.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Nadir_E

Quote:

The shotgun seat he appears to installing is a mystery. The driver's seat has no such frame for the back. I'm not sure what that frame is. It's not an ejection seat.

John - they elevate the passenger seat so that the gunner there is positioned higher relative to the dash board - better visibility, better ability to lay the (yet to be added) FN MAG on target.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Just to change it up a bit, here's a stocker:

I love this Rangie Classico. It's all there: the ugly paint, the clear windows, the hideously ugly Rostyle steelies that are trying to be allloys but didn't quite make it, the Japanese side mirrors, the exposed door hinges, the slotted bumper for the hand crank. I wish this pic were taken from the driver's side so that the exposed fuel filler would show. Tell me with a straight face the Range Rover Sport even dares to dream to compare to this beaut.

I'm welling up with Rangie love.

Can you imagine having one of the first 500 British Leyland Range Rover 2-doors in 1970 with both the LT-230 and a LSD in the rear...

The low 110 mirror... The vertical grill slats... The sliding rear glass... The right-of-column stereo.... The 4 speed LT-85...
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I have had a serious bug for a '72 Rangie and you guys aren't helping
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir_E
John - they elevate the passenger seat so that the gunner there is positioned higher relative to the dash board - better visibility, better ability to lay the (yet to be added) FN MAG on target.

Oh, that's sweet. I can't believe I didn't realize that when I saw the frame. I have tons of pics of the gunner elevated too. Rookie.

That deserves some Land Rover/MAG58 love:

This pic is hilarious. The commander in the APC must be a Jeeper or a Toyota guy. He has Land Rover envy. You can't see his face, but the envy is there. You can feel it. His vehicle is armored and armed with a cannon and it has to be more reliable, but when the Land Rovers are near he feels inferior. Suddenly, his APC feels like shit. He got issued the wrong vehicle. That's the Land Rover magic.

Homeboy's head is above the roll cage:

The Australian 6x6s have the same shotgun seat:

That MAG58 with the walnut buttstock is looking mighty fine there. The synthetic MAG58 buttstocks don't look nearly as nice.

I crack up every time I see that pic because the guy riding shotgun is wearing the electronic earmuffs. Can you imagine the concussion when the roof gunner lights up that M2?

This pic almost looks like a Trijicon ad. Note how both machineguns are fitted with ACOG Reflex sights. Just point and shoot. These are the later-model ACOG Reflexes with the hoods. My brother's Reflex is the older model without the hood:

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM
John Lee
K6YJ