User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:16 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Another old favorite:

Note the hood latch.

I like the guy in the background with the nervous smile on his face. "Hello, my friends! Hi, how are you. I am not Taliban."
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I find the choice of white goggles interesting. You would think that is a dead giveaway for a fatal head shot.

No pun intended of course.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Keith Armstrong

Yup, I couldn't decide if I was more amused by the goggles or the pipe cap on the 50
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:28 AM
KI4WWU

What's up with the hose on the bonnet?

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:33 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

On the goggles, you guys are being too tactical. I think homeboy just brought what he had. That, or he took whatever Aunt Matilda sent him in the post.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Keith Armstrong

Gotta tell you John, my amusement came from the apparent incongruity of the civvy looking / leisure wear goggles and the v. serious position that these guys are in.

As re. the pipe cap...just the pedestrian nature of a simple red pipe cap and the same serious position.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Maybe the guy on the side of the road just sold them both the goggles and the pipe cap.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Keith Armstrong

hah! I hadn't thought of that...

"special price for you, today only..."
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM
KI4WWU

I, too, notice and find interesting these mixtures of civilian or everyday items mixed with more obvious military or "serious" situations. The D&G goggles are a great example, if in fact they are something other than standard issue.

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur
I find the choice of white goggles interesting. You would think that is a dead giveaway for a fatal head shot.

No pun intended of course.

Afghans can't shoot. Spray and pray.
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:00 PM
jmcclure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Afghans can't shoot. Spray and pray.

That's where you're wrong - the ANA can't shoot, the rebels and Al Queda Regulars can shoot damn good! (They've had a lot of practice!)
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I think you guys are overthinking it. He's using whatever he has to keep the crap out of his eyes so he can safely drive and keep out of harm's way.

Whether he brought it from home or stole/borrowed/traded for it we'll never know. Perhaps he grabbed it from someone's arctic warfare training pack.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I fucking love this video.
I have it on my iPod and will fully admit I have sat in my MOD 110 and watched it.

That video is so sweet.
Each theater, each environment, air-drop, Camel Trophy, all of it.
Of course it's a marketing piece, with the L. Ron Hubbard Dyanetics music and staged shots, but you can't deny how badass the MODs in the video are.
Furthermore, they're not Wolf Defenders. They're 2.5 NA 110s. A number of them have that bitchin LAND ROVER 110 decal on the front. They have the hoods rolled like Confederate rebel bedrolls. They all have salisburys. There's no snowboarding gear, just those sweet aviator goggles. They're in the middle of the desert but they're wearing DPM.
They're are all kinds of armaments in there. Mk19 40mm launchers, HK11/21s, 90mm recoiless rifle, etc. But I like the .50 M2s and twin FN-MAGs that are mounted aircraft gunner style like twin Vickers or Lewis on a SAS LRDP vehicle. In fact, those guns make these trucks look like a coiler version of the pink panthers or the Willys jeeps. The Wolf Defenders are a look unto themselves, but these others are classics.

Here's the SAS Willys:

I love that last pic. It's so British Africa/Arabia. The guy driving has gone full native and wears a beard and the keffiyeh but the officer he's chatting with is wearing a duffle coat. I wonder what the weather was like. One of these two was either roasting or freezing. But there's some serious style in that pic. Lawrence is sporting a Sykes Fairbane commando dagger and those bitchin motorcycle gauntlets. And of course, he's got captured Wermacht jerry cans strapped to his jeep.

Here's the SIIA SAS Pink Panther:

The same great set-up, but now it's a Land Rover.
The smoke grenades and PSP are nice additions. The spare mount doesn't get any funkier. And it's pink. Sandglow and Tangiers don't have anything on straight up pink.

Now here's the MOD 110 like in the video:

It's still the same, just that much better.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WMIK Wolf Defender, but I like the MOD 110s in the video even more. Not because they're better, they aren't. But because they fit the lineage a little more cleanly.
Of course, I'm biased.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

While the SAS and the LRDG used Willy's jeeps, I believe the more appropriate ancestor of the Pink Panther 109's and MOD 110's is the Long Range Desert Group's Chevy trucks. These trucks were outfitted very similiar to the later Land Rovers and used in similiar missions/roles.

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/lrdg.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy.jpg (126.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg LRDG01.jpg (125.3 KB, 11 views)
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I like the guy in the background with the nervous smile on his face. "Hello, my friends! Hi, how are you. I am not Taliban."

In the above video is that guy's cousin.

"I hope theese inglish aren't going too fuck up my veellage or run into my goats. M'sh-uh Allah."
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

BTW-I believe that officer is David Stirling in your pic talking to the British soldier with shemagh.

And that looks more like a US jerry can rather than a Wehrmacht or one of the British copy-cat jerry cans. You can see the seam weld around the top edge. Like these US cans in this famous pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LRDG.jpg (70.6 KB, 32 views)
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm not feeling it on that Land Rover military video. The vehicles don't look like legit military vehicles to me. That alone wouldn't be so bad, but some of the trucks in the video are military vehicles, and the footage cuts back and forth. It's a shell game of sorts. It's kind of a turn-off.

Here are some pics of the vehicles in that video:

Machineguns are HK21s. The two battle carbines hanging from the roof rack look like G33s with SEF trigger housings. Even the presence of roller-delayed blowback and the Michelin XCLs can't save that pic for me. You can tell the weapons are there for man jewelry. They're not even loaded. This looks like some Special Vehicles vehicle in an OHV park rather than a genuine military vehicle in the field.

Another promo vehicle:

This looks like a transition vehicle from the older Defenders to the Wolf. Sure, it's got all of the "correct" man jewelry like the MAG58s (loaded this time), the Husky, the Michelin XCLs, jerrycans, hamsexiness, etc., but it still look like a promo shot. I think it's a sweet ride but that level of verismo just isn't there. No love.

Same vehicle from the side:

You can see the Wolf roll cage isn't there. The weapon beside the driver looks like one of those funky British M16s with the A2's chubby barrel, tubular forend, shell deflector, longer buttstock, and pistol grip with finger swell, but with the A1 carry handle. Like this:

More trucks from that video:

These look better. The Michelin XS tires are a nice touch. And there's that "Land Rover 110" sticker that Jack loves. I love it too. This sticker:

I love the WW2 SAS pics. They would be perfect if the vehicles weren't Jeeps. But they're sweet pics.

And to continue the pre-Wolf theme, here are some SAS Defenders from the first Gulf War:

You can see a Mog and a dirt bike mixed in there. The tires on the Defenders look extremely large. I think they're 9.00s. The first vehicle has a MILAN launcher mounted on it. You saw a MILAN in action in Jack's video.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

SAS Jeep with both Wehrmacht and Blitz jerrycans:

The American cans are on the hood. The Wehrmacht cans are in the back. The Wehrmacht cans have the two halves welded together in a single seam. The American cans have a rolled edge on the bottom and no welded seam on the middle of the body.

More Wehrmacht cans:

I still don't know what those Wolf rear axles are. Are they standard Rover axles with trusses welded on? Or something different? The diff pan certainly looks like a Rover diff pan, but I have no idea really.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:59 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

One more SAS pic from the first Gulf War:

Note the size of the tires there. I'm guessing 9.00s. Those aren't 8.25s, that's for sure.

The Defender and Dirt Bike tag team continues in Afghanistan with the Australian SAS:

I love this pic. You know these guys are real deal hispeed low drag special recon extreme team operators because they're wearing skateboard helmets. You see, bulletproof helmets are for the regular troops, i.e., the chumps. The operators wear skateboard helmets.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
One more SAS pic from the first Gulf War:

Note the size of the tires there. I'm guessing 9.00s. Those aren't 8.25s, that's for sure.

They certainly look big, but can they really be 9.00s? Isn't a 9.00 like a 36" tire and it must weigh near on 200lbs.
The MOD 110 is strictly 2.5NA. It runs the 1.667 LT-230 to compensate for the weak motor even when turning little 7.50s. I can't even conceive of how Land Rover would gear those trucks to turn those tires. Maybe the SAS special ordered some V8 trucks for this role. I could see a V8 with a 1.6667 LT-230 and Santana 3.91 gears at the diffs managing but anything else would bog down big time.
Certainly there are aftermarket fourwheeling solutions to the big tire question, but I can't figure out what they would do at the factory or even LRSV to make 9.00s work.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm pretty sure they're 9.00s.

Compare this pic:

with this pic:

That's a 9.00 XZL below my 8.25 spare. The rim isn't there in the 9.00 tire, but you can get a pretty good idea of the size of the rim through the hole in the tire and the white rim on the 8.25. My 8.25 isn't new there and has some tread wear, but you can see that the 9.00 is substantially larger. It wouldn't even fit on my truck because my 8.25 sits on the 5-ton Dixon-Bate Tow Jaw (which I like).

I'm pretty sure that's a 9.00 on that Special Air Service Defender.

If I recall, the 9.00s were about 36" tall and they weighed about 100 lbs. on our shop scale. In comparison. the 8.25 is about 34" tall and weighs about 70 lbs. My rim weighs about 30 lbs. so the 9.00 tire weighs as much as my 8.25 with the rim.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Oh I agree, they do look to be 9.00s.
I'm just trying to figure out what the powertrain and drivetrain is to make that happen.
Or did the SAS drive across Iraq in low-box?
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just looked through the old Action pages and found some more pics of SAS Defenders with what I think are 9.00s:

That looks older than the first Gulf War, but I can't be sure. But at a minimum the vehicle is set up like the Gulf War SAS Defenders so it's close in time.

The tires there aren't XZL's but you can tell they're big. They look a lot wider than a 8.25. They look about as wide as 265s, which makes me think they're 9.00s.

Also, the spare on the hood is looking awfully big. I have the spare tire mounting kit and planned to install it on my Defender so that I could have a second spare for Dusy- and Mexico-style trips. But I couldn't bring myself to drill the hood. But when Frank Motley was at the shop, I test-fitted an extra 8.25 wheel I had onto his hood and it looked bitchin. It didn't look huge like the tire on this Defender.

Incidentally, I love those Huskies with the relocated solenoid boxes.

This one is definitely from the Gulf War:

8.25s aren't even close to being that wide.

Note the Hi-Lift Jacks. Those are definitely Hi-Lifts and not Jack-Alls. You can also see that their weapons are bagged to prevent getting coated with sand and turning the lubricant into lapping compound.

A side shot:

Again, you have that rim dinkiness there. The tires are huge relative to the 16" rims. It's hard to say for sure, but I think the rear of the eyebrow there is cut off to make clearance for the 9.00s.

Better view of another trim job:

Note the artful trim job on the eyebrow. They had to chop it so that they could turn with the 9.00s mounted. My XZL's don't rub the front eyebrows at all, and I have my steering stops removed completely.

Another SAS trim job:

You can tell this is a different truck than in the previous pic because the chop job is different. Yet the chop job was necessary to provide clearance for the 9.00s. This is a very good view of the rim and you can tell it's not a 15-incher. It's too big. It's definitely a 16" rim.

One of the vehicles here has no eyebrow at all:

The other vehicles have the eyebrows, so I'm guessing the first vehicle lost the eyebrow somehow. Perhaps the chop job was insufficient and the 9.00 yanked the eyebrow off the wing? Who knows.

The SAS are waving their Union Jacks so that they don't get tagged by American aircraft. And note the kill marks on the wings. Hehe.

These are huge tires.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Oh I agree, they do look to be 9.00s.
I'm just trying to figure out what the powertrain and drivetrain is to make that happen.
Or did the SAS drive across Iraq in low-box?

If they're anything like the military convoys i regularly see going North here in Michigan, they're perfectly content running 50 MPH or so on the interstate.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm not talking about top speed, I'm just talking about being able to move at all. I'm not sure you can appreciate how weak the 2.5 NA is unless you've driven it. It's bad. If you were running 9.00s on an otherwise normal 2.5 NA MOD 110 you'd be in a world of hurt when the truck became a bullet magnet. It would be one slow getaway.