Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM
KI4WWU

Bell&Ross

Friend is looking at Hydromax and Marine for possible purchase. Anyone here give me some specific recommendations or warnings?

Ron
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:47 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Hydromax is a marvel of engineering, but I would prefer a Submariner myself. The Hydromax has a quartz movement and its styling has always screamed wannabe Submariner to me.

Here's a Hydromax:

Here's a Marine:

It's patently obvious they were copied from the real deal:

The Hydromax and Marine feature a stainless case, black dial, white hash marks, black bezel, and Mercedes hands. Sound familiar? It should, because the Sub has those exact features. Bell & Ross makes some very sweet watches, but for a dive watch I would go with the real deal Submariner.

If your friend needs a super deep depth rating, then he might try the Sea Dweller. The Sea Dweller doesn't have nearly the depth rating that the Hydromax does but it should be more than enough. One thing I don't like about the Sea Dweller though is that the watch is too bulky and the crystal doesn't have the little bubble above the date window. Many Rolex aficionados don't like the bubble but I kinda dig it.

I think my favorite Rolex is probably the Submariner with date and bubble above the date window. That new Flip Lock Oyster Clasp that expands to fit over a wetsuit is bad ass too. This ain't no Speedmaster Pro, but it will suffice.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
David Woo

cool watches

BNR has some good stuff: isn't some of it still made by Sinn?
Sinn has a nice line of tool watches, some oil filled, the EZM line.

See the following for a very nice watch: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...o=814010&rid=0

That Omega would look good on an EE wrist.
DW
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Wow! That is a kick ass watch. Is the crystal plastic on that beaut? If so, it would make me want the watch that much more.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Wow... what a great watch. John, you NEED it!
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:53 PM
David Woo

vintage SM 300

Don't think it's hesalite: probably sapphire. But the text says that the replacement crystal had the Omega logo on it, like the speedy pro, so maybe it is hesalite?

And yes, that watch is a sweet piece of work.
DW
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM
KI4WWU

Thanks John, knew you'd have the goods. I have a SS Rolex GMTII with the flip-lock oyster bracelet with expandable end link and red/black rotating bezel. Badass if I say so myself.

One plus that the BNR Marine and Hydromax have over the Rolex is the brightness of the hash marks on the face. They look battery powered at night and my Rolex is barely visible. My GMTII is a 1991 model so age may have something to do with it.

Personally, if they were giving me one, I would opt for the BNR Marine with rubber strap for use when the GMTII is too nice. Oh, and I have a Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch as well, so I'm covered in the watch department. Anybody want to trade a Speedmaster for an X-33?
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM
David Woo

relume

Ron: try Jack Alexyon at IWW, Industrial Watch Works. He does incredible work on old watches: relume jobs, movement work, pvd, bead blasting... That GMT can look like new.

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/andca...Firstpage.html

He's working on a third old watch for me, does beautiful work.
DW
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:40 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by ronward
I have a SS Rolex GMTII with the flip-lock oyster bracelet with expandable end link and red/black rotating bezel. Badass if I say so myself.

You're not the only one who says that watch is bad ass. I LOVE that watch. I think it's next on my "most desirable Rolex" list (for me, not everyone sees the world the same way and isn't that a good thing?). For those of you who have not seen this masterpiece, check out:

http://www.austwatch.com/images/IMAGES%20II/GMT-2.jpg
http://www.tcjj.com/gifs/oyster-fat-clasp2.jpg

You should tell your friend to get that Hydromax, if only so that he lives the rest of his days in envy and want. He'll die a little inside every time he sees your GMT.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:52 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Actually, all of these great watches remind me of an interesting contrast:

What are you made of? LOL.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

LOL!!!!!!!!

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:26 AM
KI4WWU

David, thanks for the tip, I'll contact IWW about a relume job.

John, lol on the GMTII envy. My brother and some of my other Rover friends in Atlanta all sport the Submariner. A cool watch, no doubt. But I appreciate the GMTII much, much more.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Both the Submariner and GMT are great watches. It's inevitable that some will favor the Sub and others will favor the GMT.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. In fact, I am quite sure there are many, many people who see that Tiger Woods TAG advertisement and their reaction is something to the effect of, "I MUST HAVE ONE". As pathetic as this sounds, I'm sure it happens every day.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM
KI4WWU

David, John and Ho. I called Jack, nice guy. He's 12 weeks behind on work in the shop. What's your take on having a watch shop like this take apart a Rolex and then get it sealed back up to factory standards? I wear this thing everyday and it gets wet and submerged often. Concerned about retaining the water-resistance to factory spec. Any thoughts?
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:03 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Hmmm, I have no idea really. Personally, I would feel more comfortable having Rolex do the resealing job, but I don't know if the independent shops would do a better job of it.

On the Hydromax and Marine, I thought about them on the way home last night, and tried to think why I disliked them so much. Sure, they're copycat Subs, but there's more to it than that.

Here's the Hydromax again:

http://www.broadarrow.net/hydromax.jpg

I have never played with a Hydromax so I'm just going by the picture, but I don't think the Hydromax's layout is good at all. In fact, I think it's terrible. I don't like the fact that the hours are marked with numbers. This, combined with the numbers on the rotating bezel, make the dial really confusing to me. It's even worse with the numbered date on at the 3 o'clock position. It's even worse with the small 24-hour numeric indicators at every hour. There are just way too many numbers on this dial. The Marine suffers the exact same problems.

So in addition to being a copycat, the Bell & Ross is just poorly designed I think.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:07 AM
David Woo

pressure testing

Ron: I'm not sure how Jack tests his diver watches, you might ask for more specifics. Most shops that do a lot of diver work install new gaskets and pressure test the watch after reassembly.

IWW does a lot of Omega and Rolex work and must have addressed this concern before. Jack has redone two 1970's seiko divers for me, but I don't dive, so I have no way of knowing how water resistant they are.

I'm a fan of clarity and simplicity in watch dials: the easier to read the better, numbers are not always necessary. I always laugh when I see stuff like Breitling, WAY too much stuff going on. I don't know who makes the BNR anymore, the Type Demineur is fairly clean and readable, if you're going to be handling bombs.
DW

DW
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
Originally posted by johnlee
There are just way too many numbers on this dial. The Marine suffers the exact same problems.

I doubt the fact that too many numbers is really the issue otherwise you wouldn't be sporting this fine specimen:

I think the issue is two fold. For starters the numbers on the dial appear to lack any proportionality to the casing. It's almost as if they took as many options available to them and smothered the watch with them. It's just too busy.

Second, and more importantly, the fact that the watch itself is another hackneyed attempt to "piggy-back" onto a well built and immensely popular time piece makes the watch incredibly gaudy. Even if the watch were equal in quality, which I doubt, I still wouldn't purchase it simply because of its "Xerox" overtones. I really believe there's something to be said for originality. Nonetheless, this is just my opinion, which is really based on a lot of hearsay and conjecture and the fact I've never held one of these watches.

Just my 0.02

DJ
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM
KI4WWU

David, roger that.

John and DJ I agree with the copy-cat styling issues y'all raise. What I dislike most about the Hydromax is it's integrated (yet ugly) bracelet attachment points on the body. The Rolex, Omega and some other cases have shoulders to house the pin to which the bracelet or strap is fixed. The Hydromax is hidden and I don't like the look. Reminds me of a 1st generation Casio LCD nerdwatch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casio.jpg (43.5 KB, 668 views)
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

oh shit, LOL
i've had one of those!
LOLOLOL

Old May 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM
DJ Menasco

LOL, I forgot all about that badboy! I think all aspiring and actual scientists have either purchased or coveted that watch! Present company shamefully included.

DJ
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I must plead guilty as well. I never had the Uptown stainless one though. I had two plastic versions. The first one was the plastic one with the gray rubber buttons. Later, the plastic one with the stainless buttons came out, and I just had to have that one or else I would die. So I sold the first watch to a fellow sucker and bought the one with the stainless buttons. What a sucker.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

at least the calculators had good use. i had this one though:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg game10[1].jpg (19.8 KB, 654 views)

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

this one too:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casmelody[1].jpg (19.0 KB, 622 views)

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM
KI4WWU

lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led.jpg (11.7 KB, 629 views)
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

LOL.

well, at some point, the madness did stop when i got my first REAL watch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg constellation.jpg (53.2 KB, 637 views)