Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:55 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh yeah, it's your watch. Do with it as you will.

Just imagine. You're wrenching on the GS Adventure, the baddest mofo bike around. You're installing some Hella Micro DE action. You're using Snap-on tools to do the install. You wonder what time it is. You glance down at your left wrist. What do you see?

BAM! OMEGA Seamaster Pro.

It just doesn't get any better than that.
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

And you're sure it's the real deal? Not quartz?
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

no quartz.

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Ho, are you buying one too?
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

no, not me. it's not pimp enough.

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Man, I don't know how many times I can say it. It's not quartz. It's the real deal shit.

There must be some mistake at Costco. I think they think they have a quartz model on their hands or something. $1299 is way too low to be real, but it is. It's the chronometer (mechanical movement that gains or loses less than five seconds a day). Self-winding movement, the kind that winds while you wrench.

$1299. This may be the one and only chance.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:08 PM
KI4WWU

Ah crap!!! Seamaster Pro automatic for $1299? Sounds too good to be true. While I don't care for the stainless bracelet, I could buy it and put a kick ass rubber strap on it! Seriously tempting. John you'd buy and ship it to me right?....
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:13 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sure, no problem. If you want it, just let me know and I'll pick it up for you. It'll be $1299 plus 8.25% sales tax and shipping.

I want someone I know to have this watch. If I can't have it (no money), at least I can live vicariously through someone I know. Fuck, I might even buy this watch myself. It's so tempting.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:23 PM
KI4WWU

I do need something new and cool to sport whilst I wait 12 weeks for the relume job on the GMTII... Nah, that's a damn locker for the rear of the 90...
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

OK, another chapter of As the World of EE Turns...

I'm leaving for Costco. I can stand this no longer. Hopefully the watch will be still be there. I'll know in about 20 minutes.

Wish me luck.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:40 PM
KI4WWU

If you display a discounted price in error, they will come.

John when you get back, how about some intell on the variations in the Omega SeaMaster, SeaMaster120 and Aqua Terra lines. Specifically case sizes. One of the things that kept me from pouncing on the Seamaster at Costco just now is I have no idea how large the case is in relation to the Speedmaster Professional which is much larger than the Rolex GMT Master II. I like the GMT's size.

What say you?
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM
David Woo

costco?

So John, did you get it?

I was stuck in traffic today on the 405 heading back to Santa Monica, when this big green disco blasts by me in the left lane "hey, that's Ron Litman!"
Small world, see all kinds on the freeway.
DW
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

aaron, don't bother coming down saturday.

ron, don't worry about the seamaster's size.

it was the last and only one.

david, ron L has a black disco2.

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:04 AM
curtis

This is funny shit. Actually Costco has been selling that Seamaster Pro for $1299 on a regualr basis for a couple of years. I think it is on thier web site as well. I have been eyeing it and the one time they were out of stock, they said they could order it and have it here in SLC within a week. That was a year ago. The best I can figure is that they have a solid wholesale line of the watch and that is thier price.

Ho is right though. the damn thing is just not quite pretty enough. I had my heart set on a Speedmaster Pro. On the other hand I did see some Speedamster's (not Pro) for $1499 there and that was tempting as well, but not quite what I wanted.
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

curtis, it's actually nicer than i thought:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seamaster.jpg (48.4 KB, 352 views)

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

on the wrist, speedmaster feels the biggest because of the overall thickness of the watch and the dial size. seamaster feels slightly bigger than the GMT, but not by much. note that the dial size really makes the watch look bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsccomparo.jpg (92.0 KB, 339 views)

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:54 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Well, as the pics show, Costco still had it. I tried to get two of them, one for me and one for Ho. But this was the only one Costco had. I asked the sales manager there to check the other Costco's and she did. But she said that this was the only one. So I just said screw it and bought the one.

I did give it the thoroughness of a rectal examination before I bought it though. It is indeed the chronometer Pro, not the quartz as Costco usually has. The micro-sized serial number on the back of the horn had not been polished away, and the serial number on the card matched, the crystal was perfect, the protective tape was still on the clasp. I said fuck it and bought it.

I guess the design of the Seamaster appeals to women, because Ho's wife was digging it. So, Ho's wife is now sporting the watch as her EDC:

Ron, the Seamaster Pro feels slightly smaller on the wrist than the Moon Watch. I'm not sure what the actual measurements of the two watches are, but the Seasmaster Pro definitely has a thinner caseback:

This doesn't protrude nearly as much as the caseback on the Moon Watch:

Because of the thickness of the caseback, there is a lot of "air" under the case when one wears the Moon Watch:

The Seamaster doesn't feel like this at all. It sits flush against the back of the wrist, the same way Ho's GMT does.

So while the Seasmaster may be just as large on paper as the Moon Watch, it definitely feels smaller on the wrist. It did feel slightly larger on the wrist than the GMT though. After wearing the Moon Watch for so long, the GMT feels a little small to me. And a Datejust just feels dinky.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Rob Davison

John said:
Ron, the Seamaster Pro feels slightly smaller on the wrist than the Moon Watch. I'm not sure what the actual measurements of the two watches are, but the Seasmaster Pro definitely has a thinner caseback

John, If you would bucklt down and spend a few dollars on a nice digital Caliper you'd know the actual measurements of the watch.

I am digging this one lately with replaceble jaws

http://www.brownandsharpe.com/home.a...ogNum=05.90052
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:23 AM
curtis

Damn John. You DID get a steal. It was the Seamaster I saw for $1299. They had that bad boy mis-priced. I was at Costco as well this morning and tho only Omega they had was a Seamaster "Americas Cup" for $1799. Auite frankly it did not look as sweet as Ho's wifes new wristweight.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:24 AM
curtis

Quote:
Originally posted by curtis
Damn John. You DID get a steal. It was the Seamaster I saw for $1299. They had that bad boy mis-priced. I was at Costco as well this morning and tho only Omega they had was a Seamaster "Americas Cup" for $1799. Quite frankly it did not look as sweet as Ho's wifes new wristweight.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:25 AM
curtis

LOL. Next time I will try to hit "Edit" instead of "Quote".
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:12 AM
David Woo

Mia's got it

I love it, all this fuss about the watch and Mia ends up with it: Ho knows all about domestic tranquility, lol.
I love that wavy background pattern on the dial, cool.
DW

ps. I know that was Ron yesterday on the 405, his truck looks like a very dark green, with the new EE sticker on the rear quarter window.
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Well, I went to Costco last night with the intention of buying two of the Seamasters, one for Ho and one for me. But with only one watch available, Ho and I had to decide who was going to get it. Mia was digging it, so we decided to make it a Mother's Day present to Mia.

I love that look when women wear a man's watch. A nice, big, and expensive man's watch. Women wear it as a trophy of sorts. Tres chic.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

it'll soon he mine.

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:53 PM
KI4WWU

Sweet purchase guys. And Mia, tres chic indeed!

I'm curious though. The model number John mentioned (2531.80.00) can be fund on the internet for $1299 or there abouts. Am I looking at the wrong thing. I like this one too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seamaster.jpg (18.7 KB, 256 views)