Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Will Roeder
KI4PLZ

First Hand Gun

Ive decided for my birthday this year, im going to buy myself a hand gun. Ive gone shooting several times with friends and have shot a variety of guns but am still pretty clueless. My birthday isn't until June so i've got about 6 months to research and shop around.

What should I look for in buying my first pistol? I'm thinking 9mm might be a good place to start. I've shot my buddies H&K USP 9mm quite a bit and like it a lot.

Give me some suggestions and school me on pistols.
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

H&K

My first pistol was the H&K USP 9mm. It has been a great little plinker and given me the confidence to shoot some higher caliber pistols.
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
brianw

recommendation

Ensure you are comfortable with it. Sometimes people buy a popular name brand but never feel comfortable shooting the "weapon of choice". You should know within seconds of picking up a gun.

You shouldn't have to tweak it to make it fit "you".

Opinions vary on brand, caliber, use and price . . . .
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Nadir_E

Brian brings up a good point about getting what is right for you. Another approach to consider taking, if you have well armed friends, is to try out the various models they own (you should be buying the ammo and offering to do basic cleaning for the privilege of using their firearms this way). That way you'll get a better feel for what's comfortable 'out the gate.' (I say it that way because unless you have exceptionally large or small hands you can eventually learn to shoot most any handgun well).

It's also important for you to define the *why* behind your decision to purchase a pistol. Those reasons serve to eliminate certain choices (e.g. most off-the-shelf M1911 pistols are notoriously unreliable or ammo finicky in heavy shooting environments like competitions, etc.).

In the end, do your research and expect to get what you pay for.

John may offer some reasons to consider the HK P7 - an exceptional, if expensive, pistol.

-n