Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
DJ Menasco

Worst Tool Box Ever!

I've had the displeasure of witnessing some pretty Gaudy tool boxes, Snap-On included, but personally I find this offensive to all tool boxes.

Rightly so this individual wants trade up for a KRA double.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rat Fink 1.jpg (13.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Fink 2.jpg (18.1 KB, 46 views)
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Lovely.
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
David Despain
KF7PAL

yeah but have you seen the new tripple bank matco ghost rider box? there was one on the truck last week. to each their own, but not my cup of tea.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Nothing says love like KRL:

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

That yellow is just too bling;

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:34 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

maybe cranberry?

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
That yellow is just too bling;

I dig the suspension.
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I love that cran box.

It was our first box and I think it's still my favorite.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
David Despain
KF7PAL

no love for the yellow?

john is that a KRL760B in yellow there?

i love my krl760
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00050.JPG (147.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00051.JPG (168.5 KB, 10 views)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The cran and yellow boxes are KRL761 I think. The KRL761 is now discontinued and replaced with the KRL722.

The blue and candy apple red boxes are KRL722. The 722 is identical in external dims to that of the KRL761 but the drawers are slightly different.

Here's our candy apple red KRL722:

And here's our cran KRL761:

You can see that the socket drawer is slightly taller on the KRL722. The wrench drawer is full-length on the KRL722 but is split into two drawers on the KRL761. In addition to spanning the full width of the box, the KRL722's wrench drawer is taller than that on the KRL761. To create room for the taller socket and wrench drawers on the KRL722 without changing the outer dims, the lower drawers are set up differently.

Both configurations are nice, but I prefer the set-up of the KRL722. I really like the full-width wrench drawer:

The KRL761's narrower wrench drawer is cramped for several different wrench racks.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM
David Despain
KF7PAL

our matco guy got back from the corporate meetings in hawaii this week and said they are coming out with a multi-tier line of quality (and thus price) for thier boxes soon. it will be the same basic thing they have now but the bottom line will be cheaper than the one they offer currently but it will be the same box. the top of the line will be more than the current high end stuff but it will be better. all across the line the looks and finish and overall apeal will improve. thats all corporate propaganda so we will just have to wait and see. doesnt really matter to me anyhow. im not getting a new box anytime soon as it is. would be nice to have a 100th aniversary snapon box in 12 years or so.

yeah some folks like the lots of full width drawer but i dont. i find that when loaded they are too heavy to open quickly and then shut quickly. seems that im always poping open the drawer to the top or bottom of the one i want and once its open an inch or two i figure it out then need to go up one. its just too much inertia. but there is less wasted space with out the dividers. so whatever works best for you.
mine is a krl760 and see how the big tall drawer on the left is almost big enough to stuff a cheerleader into? i asked about replacing it with another 3 inch drawer and shorter tall drawer but it was over 350$ and that was about 5 years ago. i doubt if they could/ would even do it now. thats my only complaint about my box, other than its not big enough. but its never big enough is it?
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I hear you on the weight. The socket drawer is very heavy because there's so much stuff in it. But the full-length wrench drawer never bothered me, presumably because there's not as much in it.

One thing that has always made me wonder is that the drawers in our different boxes don't feel the same in terms of resistance. For example, our yellow box's drawers glide very smoothly. They feel as if they are riding on air. The blue box is the worst in terms of resistance. The drawers are relatively stiff to open and close. The cran and candy red boxes are somewhere in between. All of the boxes work just fine. If we had only one box I wouldn't have noticed anything. But if all of our boxes operated as smoothly as the yellow box's drawers, I would be in heaven.

Our blue box is a replacement. The first blue box that got delivered to us had drawers that were very stiff to open and close and the drawers didn't lie perfectly flush when they were closed. Our Snap-on guy asked a regional rep to check out the box and when he saw it, he said it was bad and had a replacement blue box sent to us. The replacement works just fine, but it doesn't have the oily smoothness of our yellow box.

What's funny is that our yellow box is our least-used box.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We'll see what the new Matco boxes look like.

I'm not a fan of the Matco boxes. They're nice boxes but they cost about the same as Snap-on boxes and I really like the way the KRLs are set up. I would rather buy a KRL.

Here's an example of a Matco box that I think is set up horribly:

Granted, not all of the Matco boxes are set up this badly, but I've never even seen a KRL set up this badly.

I don't like how there's a horizontal brace below the socket drawer. There are also side braces, which the KRLs don't have. The KRL drawers go all the way to the edge of the box. Look at a KRL and almost all you see are drawers:

The extra braces on the Matco box take up storage room. There's very little wasted space in a KRL. The Matco and Macsimizer boxes suffer from much more wasted space, and from what I can tell they are actually weaker than the KRLs, not stronger.

I also don't like how the lower drawers on this Matco box are split down the middle of the box. This reminds me of putting the differential right in the middle of the axle. It's not as useful as bank of narrow drawers and a bank of wider drawers. That's a much more useful set-up to me.

These lower drawers are also very tall. They're not tall enough for sockets, but if you put pliers and wrenches and screwdrivers and whatever in them the drawers are too tall and not a useful size. I would rather have numerous thin drawers and a few very deep drawers.

This particular Matco box reminds me of a Craftsman box:

These boxes crack me up. The drawers are all split down the middle and they're not divided into useful heights.
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
David Despain
KF7PAL

ahaha that blue matco box was on the truck today but in a more tasteful plain red. and i thought much the same as you, thats just not that useful. the matco guy today said that the top of the line boxes actually weigh about 150 lbs more than the snap-on equivelent. all i could think of was "so? that doesnt make it stronger"
the other mechanic at work today said that the "matco stuff is a little better than craftsman but costs nearly the same as snap-on".
some of matco's other tools are ok and its always good to have options, but i wouldnt have anything else but a snap-on box.
that yellow box of yours is kick ass, the next progression from mine.
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by david despain
some of matco's other tools are ok and its always good to have options, but i wouldnt have anything else but a snap-on box.

I wholeheartedly agree.

We have mostly Snap-on stuff here at the shop, but I would say we have a pretty good mix of different tools. For example, my punches are Facom:

Pliers are mostly Knipex:

Magnetic tray is MAC:

Field tool set socket rails are Matco:

The tool roll and wrench roll are Bucket Boss. The red vinyl wrench roll is MAC. Air gun on top of the ARB fridge is a MAC.

I like different stuff from different companies and Snap-on certainly doesn't provide everything.

But when it comes to the shop boxes, I can't figure out why anyone would buy a Matco or Macsimizer when he could get a KRL for very close to the same price. The KRLs are so much nicer.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

When the Snap-on regional rep was here to examine our faulty blue box, I tore him a new one for these KRLs:

First of all, the gray boxes look like shit. They look as if the boxes went straight from priming to packaging, and skipped the painting/powercoating/dipping/whatever stage.

Also, the gray box is a Matco thing. At least I first saw the primer boxes on the Matco truck. Why Snap-on feels the need to copy Matco is beyond me. I told him, "Matco copies Snap-on; Snap-on doesn't copy Matco. This is below you."

I think he was pissed. LOL.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM
David Despain
KF7PAL

ughhh! is that what they call arctic silver? a good buddy of mine wants one in that color and i keep trying to convince him thats the ugliest one they make. not to mention it would be a bitch to keep clean. not that yellow isn't hard to keep nice, i always have to wipe it down, but still. i catch a lot of shit for my yellow cart and im not sure if i would go yellow for a big box but thats ugly.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The yellow is ugly, but it's cool ugly.

The primer gray is just plain ugly--bad ugly. It looks as if there's a layer of bondo beneath the finish, like those beaters you see driving around with primer all over them.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

check out the glossy finish on the candy apple red after some Auto Protectant & Polish.