Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I always ask for "large". On purpose.

Part of me wants the pimple-faced kid behind the counter to correct me with a "you mean Venti?"

Thus far I have never been corrected. Damn.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
...I take my coffee black (like my ladies) "

See now, you knew I would have to call you out on this one!

We went to Chili's the other night and sat next to the hostess counter. There were 2 girls working there, one fine black chick, thin with an ass like a bookshelf and tits like a stripper. Then this other asian chick, she was about 4'10... no ass and no tits. John wouldn't even look at the black chick but kept commenting on how hot the asian chick was.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Yes there are. I can get better coffee at my grocery store than across the parking lot at the Starbucks.

I must admit to hitting a few QVC coffees up there.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

from the 02-09-07 fiscal first quarter report:

"starbucks coffee company provides an uplifting experience that enriches people's lives one moment, one human being, one extraordinary cup of coffee at a time".

2007 first quarter highlights:

-record quarterly retail store openings of 728 stores
-net revenues of 2.4 billion, an increase of 22 percent
-net earnings of 205 million, an increase of 18 percent
-record quarterly Starbucks Card Activations of 287 million

1177 new stores opened in 2006.

2007 targets:

2400 new stores globally
net revenue growth of 18 percent

holy shit. and you thought there was one on every corner now. those are impressive numbers for any company let alone a coffee retailer. damn.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Quote:

Making good coffee is simple:

Get good freshly roasted beans
Boil water
After water comes to boil, ....

water? just water? any water?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
water? just water? any water?

I forgot you're in LA. You might want to use filtered water.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

oh boy.

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kendrick
from the 02-09-07 fiscal first quarter report:

2400 new stores globally

That's something that baffles me. I've seen Starbucks stores in what seem to me, the most absurd locations.

Take Spain for example, in a country of great coffee and great food, where there are cafes in every corner, serving up cheap delicious coffee and pastries.

In fact, Starbucks seems absurd to me anywhere in Continental Europe. It would be interesting to learn whether those stores are profitable at all.

At least they haven't hit the wholly grail of espresso cafes, i love this quote;

"The coffee experience for Italians is much more personal and intimate than what any Starbucks store would be able to offer. It is about “slow food” as opposed to the American “fast food”. Just think about the plastic cups, for instance, Italians do not like them. Why? Because they do not even consider the possibility of taking the coffee outside of the bar and drinking it while walking or driving."
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Bruno, I think that quote is a little off. I went to Italy on vacation several years ago. One of the things I did was spend some time every morning in an espresso bar. The "coffee experience" in Italy is just as varied as the dining experience is here. There would be people that would lounge in the espresso bar sipping their coffee & reading the paper taking their sweet time. There were also the types that would stand at the counter, dump a shitload of sugar in the espresso and throw it back like a shot of whiskey and be on their way. So for some, the coffee experience in Italy is about fast food.

It is a little odd for Starbucks to be in Europe, Italy especially. The whole business model for Starbucks was to bring the Italian coffee bar to the US.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
There were also the types that would stand at the counter, dump a shitload of sugar in the espresso and throw it back like a shot of whiskey and be on their way. So for some, the coffee experience in Italy is about fast food.

Those are the coffee "users" not "drinkers".
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Mike, it does seem odd to me to think that ones life is so busy that he must "carry-out" a single shot of espresso in a cheesy paper cup.

Man, if you're so rushed that you can't spare 5 minutes to enjoy an espresso, and you have to carry it out, fast-food style, why even stop at all ?.

I think what that quote is referring to is the layout and 'feel' of the typical European cafe. The typical European cafe has a very long counter where people are served, in glassware, and where people eat and drink. Some people slam their espresso and some sip it slowly. I have never witnessed anyone leaving the cafe with their food or drink "carry-out" style.

In contrast, Starbucks is odd in that one either lounges there on some lame couch or leaves with their "carry-out".
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I always ask for "large". On purpose.

I do the same thing, and have yet to be corrected.

Jesse
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
BeachBum

I was living in Madrid this time last year. Funny sight, standing on one corner and looking across 12 lanes of traffic on Castellana and seeing 3 other Starbucks. One on every corner! I guess it was easier than crossing all the lanes of traffic.

You could always tell the tourist because they were the ones walking with the "To Go" cup. I don't even think that term exists there, we had one little place we would hang out at for hours, free internet and killer "cafe con leche"

Paul
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Mike, it does seem odd to me to think that ones life is so busy that he must "carry-out" a single shot of espresso in a cheesy paper cup.

Man, if you're so rushed that you can't spare 5 minutes to enjoy an espresso, and you have to carry it out, fast-food style, why even stop at all ?.

I think what that quote is referring to is the layout and 'feel' of the typical European cafe. The typical European cafe has a very long counter where people are served, in glassware, and where people eat and drink. Some people slam their espresso and some sip it slowly. I have never witnessed anyone leaving the cafe with their food or drink "carry-out" style.

In contrast, Starbucks is odd in that one either lounges there on some lame couch or leaves with their "carry-out".

Bruno, I agree completely. We actually have some coffee bars up here that serve coffee drinks in real mugs. I just have a hard time paying $4 for a drink that comes in paper.

Starbucks is a function of our society. The market wants things to be European styled, but not a 100% duplication. Take restaurants for example. In Europe, going to a restaurant is a completely different experience. Things move at a much slower pace. I had dinner at a Greek restaurant owned by Greek immigrants in Seattle the other night. It had a much more European feel compared to a traditional restaurant. Many people would feel that the service sucked, but I appreciated not being rushed.

In the same way, Starbucks is more of what the US market wants a European coffee bar to be than what they really are. I can't really fault them. They are serving what the market wants and are growing at an amazing pace.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Personally, I don't mind the $4.00 - $5.00 charge for a cup of good coffee. I look at it as more of a treat to myself. Although, the stuff can be addictive - it's like Crack or Oxycotton. It's just good.

I justify the coast by looking at what we pay for drink without even looking at the price. What do you pay for a beer or mixed drink at a bar? Do you drink Organic milk? How about single barrel whiskey or scotch?

It's all in what you want. Some people enjoy the $9.99 T-Bone at Sizzler Steak House; others prefer the $35.00 9oz filet from Fish Bones or Ruth Chris. If the Folgers gives you your fix, have at it! But sometimes that cup of sex from some place along the lines of Star Bucks just hits the spot.

I tend to like the Mayorga coffee at home, FWIW. Good stuff while camping, too. Course, sometimes even Wawa coffee is good....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAR2005%20017%20%28Small%29.jpg (63.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg MAR2005%20010%20%28Small%29.jpg (47.8 KB, 26 views)
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

I dig the European cafe. I like to walk up to the counter, order a coffee and a pastry. I prefer to stand at the counter while i drink and eat, i don't like to take either my food, or my drink out anywhere.

I also appreciate the way most of the servers, at the nicer cafes, dress.

Old March 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

sweet jesus.
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
David Schwab

With the discussion of coffee sizes, I thought you might appreciate these cartoons. Check out "Small, Medium, Large" in the bottom right corner, as well as "Coffee House Propaganda."

http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
David Marchand
KB1NYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
sweet jesus.

Was it the beer ball or the Ringling Bros carport that got your attention?
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Was it the beer ball or the Ringling Bros carport that got your attention?

got MAR?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dchapman MAR nightmare.jpg (69.1 KB, 50 views)
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Mmmmm, i've been know to drink the goodness that is Starschmucks!

i like mine french pressed like Mike, but w/ a lot more grounds floating in it... like a nice cowboy cup of Joe.

Old March 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Marc, nice fold down table. I was hoping my door looked like that by now.
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Man, if you're so rushed that you can't spare 5 minutes to enjoy an espresso, and you have to carry it out, fast-food style, why even stop at all ?

I drink coffee at various times and I'm certainly not exempt from "on-the-go" coffee consumption:

But I know that the degree to which I "enjoy" coffee is largely dependent on the where and the when, maybe moreso than the bean or the grind:

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Won Park

I was working on a commercial for an instant coffee brand.
We shot in Spain and I visited many cafes to use as our location.
We ended up at an cafe named "Cafe del Centre" in Barcelona which dated back to 1873.
Very rustic place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 크기변환_IMG_3688.JPG (33.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 크기변환_IMG_3915.JPG (42.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 크기변환_IMG_3903.JPG (26.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 크기변환_IMG_4553.JPG (38.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 크기변환_크기변환_IMG_4659.JPG (31.6 KB, 7 views)