Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
got MAR?

Whiskey Tango
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I dig the European cafe. I like to walk up to the counter, order a coffee and a pastry. I prefer to stand at the counter while i drink and eat, i don't like to take either my food, or my drink out anywhere.

I also appreciate the way most of the servers, at the nicer cafes, dress.

I think I spotted and AMERICAN !
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by parantaeyang
I was working on a commercial for an instant coffee brand.
We shot in Spain and I visited many cafes to use as our location.
We ended up at an cafe named "Cafe del Centre" in Barcelona which dated back to 1873.
Very rustic place.

What a cool café Won.

The café Martinho da Arcada was inaugurated in 1782.

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I always ask for "large". On purpose.

Part of me wants the pimple-faced kid behind the counter to correct me with a "you mean Venti?"

Thus far I have never been corrected. Damn.

I'm with you on that one - it's a large bold for me - strong and black (like my tires )
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I drink coffee at various times and I'm certainly not exempt from "on-the-go" coffee consumption:

Jack, that's not a bad cup holder, but for a man of your caliber, i think you might like these;

Old March 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
got MAR?

LOL, that is a lot of shit. But, come on now, at a 4-day long tail gate party that got 5" of rain, all that junk comes in handy.

And, don't hate on the colman coolers. They have their place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAR2005%20006%20%28Small%29.jpg (40.5 KB, 45 views)
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Here's some of Starbucks recent 10-K report:

Quote:
The Company’s International operations (“International”) represent the remaining 17% of Company-operated retail revenues and 18% of total specialty revenues as well as 17% of total net revenues. International operations sell coffee and other beverages, whole bean coffees, complementary food, coffee brewing equipment and merchandise through Company-operated retail stores in the United Kingdom, Canada, Thailand, Australia, Germany, China, Singapore, Puerto Rico, Chile and Ireland. Specialty Operations in International primarily include retail store licensing operations in more than 25 countries and foodservice accounts in Canada and the United Kingdom. The Company’s International store base continues to increase rapidly and Starbucks is achieving a growing contribution from established areas of the business while at the same time investing in emerging markets and channels, such as China. The Company’s International operations are in various early stages of development that require a more extensive support organization, relative to the current levels of revenue and operating income, than in the United States. This continuing investment is part of the Company’s long-term, balanced plan for profitable growth.

International total net revenues increased 27% to $1.3 billion for the fiscal year ended 2006, compared to $1.0 billion for fiscal 2005. International Company-operated retail revenues increased 28% to $1.1 billion for the fiscal year ended 2006, compared to $852 million for fiscal 2005. International Company-operated revenues increased due to the opening of 230 new Company-operated retail stores in the last 12 months, comparable store sales growth of 8% for fiscal 2006, and the weakening of the U.S. dollar against the Canadian dollar. The increase in comparable store sales resulted from a 5% increase in the number of customer transactions and a 3% increase in the average value per transaction.

They had a growth rate of 27% internationally. I'm sure that they will fail in certain markets, but they are an extremely successful company, even in the international markets. It is undeniable.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

It would be interesting to see more specific revenue reports, 'international operations' is a very broad term.

In any case, they are very successful, that's for sure.

I can't find anything published regarding the closing of the Macau store, however, Starbucks no longer lists it among their international locations.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Won Park

For those who can't stand Starbucks

http://www.delocator.net/

Old March 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Putra Tambunan

still more sbucks than non-corp cafes within 1/2 miles of my zip
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Same here. Within 5 miles of me there are 23 non-Starbucks (most pretty crappy IMHO).

Within same 5 miles there are 34 Starbucks-LOL.

I don't think that's accurate however...the listings look more like within 25 miles.

Last edited by greghirst : March 7th, 2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Matt Taylor

I've heard from various sources in commercial real estate that Starbucks is, indeed, looking to expand by large amounts the number of store sites.

If you think there's one on every corner now, just wait.

I personally think it's the beginning of the end. At some point, they have to start cannibalizing each other's sales, right? Those stores are expensive to build out and they notoriously pay high rent. They generate insane amounts of traffic, though. It'll be interesting to see how the grand (or is it vente?) expansion plan plays out.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
ryanspeed

Quote:
I always ask for "large". On purpose.

Part of me wants the pimple-faced kid behind the counter to correct me with a "you mean Venti?"

Thus far I have never been corrected. Damn.

More amusing are the patrons who pride themselves in correctly annunciating "Venti".
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
brian...

What more would you expect when the complacent masses would rather pay $4.00 for a mediocre cup of coffee instead of buying or even, god-forbid, making their own really great cup of coffee?

Do people, nowadays, even know what a great cup of coffee should taste like? or an espresso, cappuccino?

Most likely not from the looks of things.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Rob Davison

How does one define "great" ?
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I have decidedly become a tea drinker.

One in the morning and one in the afternoon... MMMmmmm
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Matt Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
How does one define "great" ?

In this case, part of the definition has to include simplicity, I think. All that fancy froo-froo shit isn't where it's at.

People get crazy with coffee. They feel the need to get exotic and try all sorts of flavors and shit.

I'm happy with Community Coffee with Chicory. I don't feel the need to look elsewhere. I don't mind a grande latte from Starbucks every now and again, but I'm buying that despite the vibe they are trying to create, not because of it. I feel like an interloper every time I set foot in one of those joints.
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Won Park

Before Starbucks, coffee was something you get from

1. coffee shop (which used to mean a diner type restaurant)
2. McDonald's
3. Donut shop.

if you were in NY (Manhattan) you had small mom and pop deli market and those donut/bagel carts on the street, too.

I think Starbucks sells affordable luxury to people who can't afford real luxury. I think they were the first to charge more than a dollar for a cup of coffee. People, by paying 2-3 dollars for a cup of coffee with real cream and by ordering using 'fancy' foreign lingo, somehow feel they are having upscale experiences.

20-30 minutes of luxury at a cost of $4.00. Cheap thrill. And now it has gotten to a point where it is a acceptable norm, the price and the lingo, both.

I think this works at every level of society.
Girls’ night out to some 'fad' restaurant or clubs in a rented limo....
Leasing a already USED luxury car over 60 months.....
Wine becoming the biggest selling alcoholic beverage over the beer...

I don't think the same people, who can't do without Starbucks now, would have paid 2-3 dollars for a large milk coffee, instead of 'Misto' or 'Venti Latte"

If you think about it, during 86-87 when the Evian first was first launched (water more expensive than the gasoline!!!) if you carried a bottle of Evian people looked at you like you were a pretentious snob because bottled water came in gallon or five gallons. And water do not have fancy name. Water was water.

Now… what will be do without bottled water with the sport caps?
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I used to anti-Starbucks--at first. Now I find myself against the anti-Starbucks crowd.

It's funny how people think they're being thoughtful or deep when they rip on Starbucks. Perhaps it's envy because Starbucks is so successful. Perhaps it's snobbery because Starbucks caters largely to suckers. But whatever the reason, there's a huge backlash against Starbucks, and it's mostly chumps who believe they're gourmet or deep thinkers. It's hilarious.

So I frequent Starbucks now. On purpose.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Rob Davison

i'm sort if with john on this one except i dont like coffee.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Eric Siepmann

I like Starbucks.

Has anyone else tried Lavazza? They opened some shops in the Loop and they offer a wicked cup. They seem to be catching on as they are getting busier and busier each day I stop by.

EwS
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Eric, Lavazza is truly good coffee. There is a small drive through Lavazza store on the east side of St. Charles. If I ever even crossed the river, I'd have to keep driving to Lavazza.

John, I don't quite understand the anti-Starbucks crowd. If you don't like Starbucks, fine, no big deal. I'm not a fan of their coffee. But there seems to be some sort of badge of honor if people are passionately anti-Starbucks.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Eric Siepmann

Mike,

Didn't know that. I have to find one on the Northside. Especially with the delays on the EL's Red Line these days....

EwS
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
I used to anti-Starbucks--at first. Now I find myself against the anti-Starbucks crowd.

It's funny how people think they're being thoughtful or deep when they rip on Starbucks. Perhaps it's envy because Starbucks is so successful. Perhaps it's snobbery because Starbucks caters largely to suckers. But whatever the reason, there's a huge backlash against Starbucks, and it's mostly chumps who believe they're gourmet or deep thinkers. It's hilarious.

So I frequent Starbucks now. On purpose.

Come on, John. Just come out and say it. You go to Starbucks for the same reason 50% of all other straight guys go for. It's those Saturday morning women who come out in their sweat pants, t-shirts, and hair pulled up. The ones that look like they just rolled out of bed (and probably did) and for some reason just look so damn hot. You can tell they're wearing a thong through the sweats, and all men know chocolate lattes makes women horney. You go in and order your black coffee in hopes of seeing a true hottie. Sometimes, I bet you even order a scone just so you have an excuse to hang out.

I live in a college town, so I see this daily. I want to find out who invented the "low rider" sweat pants and shake his hand.
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Eric, Lavazza is truly good coffee.

That's my choice at home.