Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM
reelpain

LR3 write ups. Fact or fiction?

Im thinking about getting a LR3. I have owned and been an LR enthusiast for years. I jumped off ship when I found out Ford has taken over productions in North America. All the Auto rags rave about LR3's offroad capabilities. Is Ford just Lobbying the auto rag's or are these for real? I don't like the tire being under the body, nor the independent suspension. Im a axle guy! Please advise?

I had a sport that I got rid of. and looking for LR to redeem itself. Like not being in the shop all the time...Unless, of course I put it there for more "goodies".
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Eric Siepmann

There's a guy with onein the CLRC. It does fairly well off road, IMO. The one thing holding it back is a good mud tire. The size is very odd and the owner had to buy these weird traction tyoe devices that went over the AT's.

EwS
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM
rea9390

First of all Ford owns Land Rover and Jaguar but they did not take over production of the vehicles sold in North America. They own the manufacturing facilities, etc...As far as I know, Ford has had a positive influence on Land Rover as they appear to be profitable on most accounts. The LR3 and Sport models have a greater apeal and marketing base than the Disco II enjoyed. Press so far on the LR2 looks fairly good and has to do better in North America than the Freelander ever did. Of course current financial problems at Ford has them looking for some to sell off Land Rover, which scares me. Hate to think who could wind up with Land Rover.

Back to off road driving...Both the Sport and LR3 do excellent off road for what they are. Everything has limits and a design purpose. I drive an LR3 on weekends and use it to take family camping trips, dirt roads, washboard, moderate hill climbs, small ruts etc...It handles all that easily toting along four people a dog and stuff. If you want to go boulder bashing and mud bogging you need something else.
I've watched showroom stock Sports with low pofile speed rated tires tackle some respectable obstacles. LR3s do a little better due to tires and suspension geometry. No other production vehicles have the off-road traction capability along with ease of use that Land Rover packs into these vehicles. So in ending it just depends on what you want to do.......