Bruno Tome
N8YQ

"Libya by Dual Sport"

Land Rovers and Motorcycles ?

Very nice.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Hmm.. I really liked the PDF sample. Think I might check it out.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno

Very nice.

My thoughts exactly.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno

Very nice.

And exotic locales, and equipment/gear tests, and knowledgeable/respected writers/journalists.

Just hoping the photography is as good of quality as well.

Well, that and I hope the mail delivers to Riverside before Torrance and the Valley...
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

To me, it makes perfect sense that OJ covers motorcycles as well as trucks.

It ain't about the truck. It's about getting out there and doing it. The adventure is much more important than the vehicle used.

Now, having said that, I would love to see Scott dump his pick-up truck and replace it with a Land Cruiser or Land Rover. And please, no trailer comparisons. I hate trailers. If your gear doesn't fit in or on your truck, you have too much gear.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
If your gear doesn't fit in or on your motorcycle, you have too much gear.

Fixed! lol
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Quote:
It ain't about the truck. It's about getting out there and doing it. The adventure is much more important than the vehicle used.

Well said

Quote:
Now, having said that, I would love to see Scott dump his pick-up truck and replace it with a Land Cruiser or Land Rover. And please, no trailer comparisons. I hate trailers. If your gear doesn't fit in or on your truck, you have too much gear.

John, you don't like my truck? You might like it better after I install the 9.0 R16 XZL's on it.

I do suffer from gear'itis. Nothing a bunch of Snow Peak gear couldn't cure.

My next build is looking to be a Series I Disco with a 300TDI and 5speed. I am not happy with anything currently on the market as a wagon, and the Disco with a simple diesel would give me just about everything I am looking for.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That pick-up has to go. It'll be even worse with the XZLs on there. It'll look like a wino wearing John Lobbs.

Dump the pick-up. If you're a Toyota guy, there are some sweet Cruisers out there. If you want the gourmet shit, of course there is the Land Rover.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

To each his own, right

I have not found a better solution for my needs. (high-speed desert driving, low COG, 4+ trails, payload volume and capacity, reliability and economy).
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Jonathan Hanson

Things are going to get interesting around the Overland Journal editorial offices as Scott builds his diesel Disco project and my wife works on her '84 Land Cruiser FJ60 project, scheduled for its own swap with a Toyota 1HZ diesel (4.2-liter, six-cylinder, naturally aspirated), and five-speed.

So we'll have the Disco: A leather-lined cocoon riding on supple coil springs, with as much English electrical equipment as possble ripped out, a turbocharged four-cylinder diesel, the Land Rover je ne sais quoi;

And the Toyota: Huge capacity, bulletproof reliability, lazy six-cylinder diesel torque, and nineteenth-century suspension.

To riff off John's analogy, It'll be like pitting an English estate owner in bespoke field shoes with a Purdey against an old Maine woodsman in Red Wings with a Winchester Model 12.

Who can hit more birds?

Probably depends on whether you're shooting high crossing pheasants or low dodging woodcock . . .
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

These diesel conversions on Land Rovers are, in theory at least, supposed to increase reliability in the field. However, truth is stranger than theory. Thus far, every diesel conversion I've seen had many more problems than the factory engine with computers galore. If you want to do the diesel thing, just go into it with eyes wide open.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
These diesel conversions on Land Rovers are, in theory at least, supposed to increase reliability in the field. However, truth is stranger than theory. Thus far, every diesel conversion I've seen had many more problems than the factory engine with computers galore. If you want to do the diesel thing, just go into it with eyes wide open.

I take offense to that, what problems have I had with my engine? It never left me stranded. There are a few minor issues to work out, but that should be taken of this month.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Jonathan Hanson

Interesting, John. Could it have anything to do with the quality of the swap?

In the case of the FJ60 we aren't looking for more reliability, of course, just better fuel economy. Doubling the 2F's mileage isn't out of the question, while retaining similar power. The horsepower and torque specs on the 1HZ are very close to the 2F, but most credible users report 26 mpg or more on the highway.

But on the Disco, I would have expected that a proper swap with a 300Tdi or International 2.8 would reduce the number of potential problem areas.
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I take offense to that, what problems have I had with my engine? It never left me stranded. There are a few minor issues to work out, but that should be taken of this month.

LOL, just make sure not to weld the wrench when you jump the starter solenoid!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Expedition to the Mission 243.jpg (70.7 KB, 54 views)
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
To riff off John's analogy, It'll be like pitting an English estate owner in bespoke field shoes with a Purdey against an old Maine woodsman in Red Wings with a Winchester Model 12.

The English estate owner wouldn't be caught dead in a peasant's diesel Land Rover, he could afford the luxury of a quiet, powerful, petrol motor.
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
LOL, just make sure not to weld the wrench when you jump the starter solenoid!

Pendy put a volt meter on the starter after I arrived in Kansas after my 29 hour, 1500mi, drive. I did it without turning the truck off once, as I was afraid I might not get it started again. The problem wasn't from heat on the solenoid, it was from the starter not getting enough juice from the battery because of everything being hot. The meter read 7.1 volts of juice at the starter. He is going to put a relay in and rewire the starter, apparently this isn't uncommon on diesels, especially with their extra power requirements on start up. This is why arcing the starter worked while on the trail, had nothing to do with the heat from the turbo. To be on the safe side we will be making a heat shield for the starter, as it can't hurt.

It's all just part of making a perfect truck... but thanks for playing the devil's advocate.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm interested to see how Overland Journal turns out.

I think it will have a tough time pleasing me because I'm apt to be far more critical of a publication where I actually believe I represent part of the target audience.

When I read LRW, LRL etc. I always temper my feelings about the magazine with a reality that recognizes that these publications don't represent exactly what comprises my activities or where my interests lie. If there is something of interests in the magazine or an article I relate to I consider it a bonus, but I don't expect it.

OJ on the other hand should be everything I want (as far as I'm concerned) so I'm likely to be annoyed if it's anything less. My expectations are high so that only raises my skepticism.

I must be spending too much trip time with Greg.

That said, I'm excited about the prospects.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Ditch the Taco and get an FJ75 or a Nissan Patrol.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I'm interested to see how Overland Journal turns out.

OJ on the other hand should be everything I want (as far as I'm concerned) so I'm likely to be annoyed if it's anything less. My expectations are high so that only raises my skepticism.

I look forward to your feedback, either in this forum or by email (scott [@] overlandjournal.com).

We know that it will be difficult to be perfect out of the gate and will take all suggestions into consideration in the hope of improving.

Fortunately, Overland Journal will be hitting your mailbox soon and much of the mystery will be over.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:05 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

got mine in the mail just now

on first glance, it looks good to me

thanks Scott, et al

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Damn!
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
John Lee