Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

man you guys are brutal!

Can you please pass the tissues and sorry about the stain.
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:37 AM
David Marchand
KB1NYP

I found myself sitting in the garage late last night trying to decide if I'm just polishing a turd or working towards a more integrated, clean dash. With my garmin on top of the dash for the last 5 years, I now feel like it is so rookie in placement (see earlier picture). But I can't seem to come up with a solution that incorporates the doo-dads of my current dash pod, and would incorporate the GPS (or a new GPS). The only semi-legit (in my mind) way to polish the turd is add this thing

But I don't like it either. The idea was to move my switches (or Icom) up and incorporate a GPS screen in the main console.

Am I over-thinking this? Stick with what I have and get over it?
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I feel your pain. I want the doodads as well, but just can't get myself to pull the trigger. All of that high-tech stuff seems to clash with the tenor or spirit of the Defender, at least to me.

That mudpod is too dash sexy for me. It looks added on. The muddash would be dash sexy, but at least Land Rover made a similar dash for the later Defenders. So the muddash at least looks a little factory. But the mudpod looks too added on for me.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Old June 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I just finished up installing the Kenwood KOS-V1000 in Tami's LR3. I really like this unit, and Tami does too.

Here is Tami's original parts list. These are the items she started with, but there will be a few changes and I'll explain why.
Kenwood KOS-V1000 AV Controller
Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod® Control Interface
Kenwood KOS-L702 Monitor
Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth interface
Kenwood KNA-G510 Add-on navigation system

There are several touch-screen monitors that can be used with this system. Tami has the KOS-L702.

Another option would be the KOS-L432. I like the one Tami has better.

The brains of the operation can be hidden away basically anywhere. In Tami's LR3, I placed the hardware under the rear deck panel. This is just a total waste of space in her LR3, but it worked out well for this install.

I'm not sure of the mounting options in a Defender, but the AV controller would easily fit under a seat. Once installed, there is really no reason for the need of access to the AV controller. The only thing you would need to access is the USB ports. But the AV controller comes with two USB port extenders. They’re about 6-feet long. I have not installed these, yet, as I would like to find some sort of USB clip-in mount so the USB's could be on the dash or the console.

The AV controller has a built-in AM/FM turner. In our case, this was not needed - and until I can find some sort of "Y" adapter for the Land Rover antenna, I cannot hook up both the factory radio and the AV controller at the same time anyway. But if this AV controller was to replace your factory radio, the turner is great. The AV controller also has the round DIN that matches most divorced CD changers. Again, in the case of the LR3, we did not use this port for a CD changer as the LR3 has a built-in changer on the factory radio.

John, one of your concerns with the MUD console was losing the Hazard switch location. "Peep this". One of the features of the AV controller is a four relay control. Meaning, you can plug up to four components into the AV controller and use the touch screen to turn them on or off, in your case, the touch screen could turn your hazards on/off.

You can also change the display colors. It has three-color options from the factory, but there is a way to add other, custom, back grounds and color fonts, but we have not tried this yet. Honestly, I don't even know how, but I bet it has something to do with USB. Here are the three-color options:

One of the options Tami wanted was Bluetooth. This allows her to use her cell phone "hands-free". You'll have to check the Kenwood web site for compatibility with your phone as we found the bluetooth does not work with every bluetooth phone. Tami's new phone did not work, but mine does. Here are a few screen shots of the phone options:

Here is the microphone for the bluetooth:

Tami started with iPod controller KCA-ip500. She did not like this controller and neither did I. The on-screen options sucked. First, we thought maybe it was her iPod as it's the older Gen3 iPod photo. So, we tried mine but the menu was the same. So Tami went to Crutchfield and bought the KCA-ip300v. The KCA-ip300V works much better. Here are a few screen shots of the KCA-ip500:

As you can see, the on-screen menu options suck. You cannot see your songs by artist, or even see entire album songs. This sucks. We even drove out to Crutchfield and had their install tech see WTF was up. He even tried a brand new iPod to see if it was a compatibility issue. What it boiled down to was, the KCA-ip500 sucks.

Here are some screen-shots of the KCA-ip300v:

The Kenwood KNA-G510 is pretty cool, too. It has all the basic (in today’s standards) options, including Points Of Interest (POI's). Here are a few POI screen-shots:

As far as mapping, the standard, stock, map is pretty good. Here is what the standard Garmin map looks like:

You can also zoom in and out to get more detailed information:

There is also the option of displaying the radio controls on the same screen as the Nav:

One total downfall of the stock mapping is that you cannot enter coordinates. You can view the coordience you're currently at, but you cannot enter them to find a location. That sucks. But, there is a fix. The maps are upgradeable. If you go here and enter the information of your set-up, you can see the available options. Some of the options have the coordinates features. You can also get Topo maps. It's unclear to us at this point if other maps other than Garmin can be used.

The AV controller also comes with a remote, for whatever reason.

This is what the screen looks like in the LR3.

Old June 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

That Kenwood looks decent but I don't think that there's a decent spot to mount it in the Defender. It would fit inside the cubby but I don't want to give that up. Also, this space is vulnerable to water leaks at the car wash, etc.

I bought a Garmin GPSmap 276 and Kenwood TM-D710A. I would have preferred a UHF/VHF/HF unit but I could not compromise on built-in APRS and dual band capability. The IC 706 Mk IIG was tempting but I would have had to include a TNC and would not have dual-band use (APRS on 144.39 while simultaneously talking on a simplex freq).

For the mounting, I'm having a custom dash-top mount fabricated. It's a simple plate that will sit flush on the dash and secure via the ashtray well. It will extend just wide enough to hold the Garmin and Kenwood side-by-side and be painted satin black. The GPS and radio do not obstruct the view of the trail, just a portion of the bonnet. I'm doing away with the ugly mount that Kenwood provides. Instead, the dash mount will have the necessary vertical stays to mount the radio directly. I haven't figured out the wire routing but it will probably go through a grommeted hole in the mount, through the ashtray well and down through the dash. I'm also unsure about the GPS antenna and whether or not I'll need an external option for it.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Thinking it over, I really think that a dash mount sucks. It's ugly no matter how it's done. I don't think that a cubby mount is any better.
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM
xrover

Clarion NAX970HD

Has anyone looked at / concidered the Clarion MAX675VD which hooks up to the Clarion NAX970HD 30GB GPS/Navigation unit. Supposedly it won a CNET award and has tons of cool features!

I am just going through the process right now of installing in my 97 D90. I had the deck previously in my Nissan and it is a great system. The one thing we are unsure of is the D90's VSS (vehicle speed sensor) as the Clarion needs this to drive the speed accuracy for when measuring time to destination. Unfortunately it needs this source of information as opposed to using a moving average calculated from the gps way points. So, all indications are that there is a VSS and I will be installing it over the next 2 weeks (waiting for some tuffy speaker/storage boxes to come in). Barring the VSS not working, then you would need to install a magnetic device on the drive shaft... I'll update when this is complete. If you do go for the this unit (or any unit) pass on the Bluetooth. Too much noise generated with the tires and engine to use it (I find).
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I decided to go with a dash mount. I had this one fabricated and painted to match the rest of the satin black steel on the truck. It secures via the ashtray well and has mounts for the Kenwood TM-D710A and the Garmin GPSmap 276. I bought a Kenwood radio because they are the only manufacturer building a rig with integrated APRS.

The mount:

The radio mount is positioned 15 degrees towards the driver. This puts it within hands' reach and reduces glare.

The GPS mount is adjustable and set to match the radio.

Since this photo was taken, I have changed the radio's backlight to green, to match the rest of the dash.

APRS provides a convenient way for everyone on the expedition to track each other. It is also useful in an emergency. If you're using the standard 144.39 MHz for your APRS data and if there are digipeaters and I-gates available, your APRS packets can be relayed onto the Internet and available on sites like aprs.fi.
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rob Davison

Chris are you going on an expedition?

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
Chris are you going on an expedition?

Yeah, Rachel and I are going on a little desert trip while she's on TDY at Fort Bliss this fall.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Will Roeder
KI4PLZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
I just finished up installing the Kenwood KOS-V1000 in Tami's LR3. I really like this unit, and Tami does too.

Really nice install. I just installed a Kenwood DNX5120 double din head unit in my truck and love it. It seems to do pretty much what yours does as well. I'm using the same ipod cable and bluetooth adapter. Both are great products. I especially like that the 5120 uses Garmin navigation. I'd recommend a kenwood nav unit to anyone.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

What's the new "latest and greatest" GPS systems? I'm looking at options for the D1.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Paul von Klosst-Dohna

John,

What set up did you end up installing?

Paul
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I didn't install anything. I want nav but couldn't bring myself to ruin my truck to get it.