Read Kerlin
KI6CSI

the one at Rosecrans and Supulveda.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sweet. I'll take a look.

For those of you interested in a stealthy nav install, peep this:

This unit operates as a full rear-view mirror when the nav is off, and there's a 4" monitor inside the mirror when the nav or rear-view camera is activated.

I don't think this is DOT legal, and I'm not sure how one controls the nav, but the stealth factor is there in spades. I would love it if Garmin made such a unit with the 276-style rubber buttons remotely located elsewhere on the dash or wherever or even via remote. Add the LR3's LED running lights and two manual map lights on the underside of the mirror housing and I would be in heaven.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Ian Kreidich

I like the idea of having the ability to remove the GPS. The bling consumer nav look just doesn't fit with a defender. The aircraft instrument panel look is the way to go. I'm not positive, but this may work:

http://www.airgizmos.com/prod/gpsmount/gallery.asp

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap478/
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
...I checked online for a system similar to the ShekiNav and the only company that still makes such a system is Alpine. The Alpine nav is supposed to be the best nav system by far. That's good. Unfortunately, the Alpine monitor is silver and doesn't fit the Defender look the way the ShekiNav monitor does.

You must not have looked very hard...

monitor

combined with...

control unit

The monitor is nicer that the Alpine one, but probably isn't up to Lee standards because of the red buttons.
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:00 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh sweet, both of those suggestions are kick ass.

Ian, I went over to that airgizmos sight and those docking stations for the Garmin units are very nice. I'm going to brainstorm and see if I can come up with a good location for a flush-mounted Garmin.

David, thanks for the heads up on that Kenwood system. I looked on the Kenwood site but had completely overlooked that monitor/nav combo.
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Ian Kreidich

One problem I see with the MUD console is that the viewing angle for the large opening isn't ideal when driving. Airgizmos makes a part that angles the unit upwards. I don't think it will look nearly as nice as a flush mounted unit but it's not too aweful looking. I noticed David's monitor is at an angle as well.

Old March 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Those Avation GPS units are too small for use in a vehicle. You'll hate it. They're fine for a birds eye view of an area. But, when you need to see street names or upcoming intersections, I don't think it's the best tool for the job....

Besides that, they look like fish finders. If you install one of those in your truck, John, I totally expect you to follow up with a metal flake paint job and some NASCAR beer coozies.
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Rob Davison

I like that air gizmo site, thanks for the link
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Help a newbie and tell me if my idea is crap.

I really do not want to drill/bolt any crap to my dash and I already have the ICOM 706 faceplate hanging from my ceiling.

My RRC has no dash room for a GPS mounting location. The ancient Blaupkunkt stereo is needing replacement anyway and the RRC oddball stereo mounting-at-an-angle is limiting and tends to funnel dust into the unit.

My thought is to purchase one of the in-dash (DIN chassis) A/V head units that has the 7" motorized fold-out screen. I realize on the RRC the screen would then block my HVAC controls but I'm OK with the compromise.

Such units appear to be available from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. and many units appear to allow everything from CD/DVD/MP3/XM/Sirius/iPod hookup as well as Nav system hookups.

The question I have is if the Nav systems available with this type of unit would accept software attractive for offroad or would it try to tell me the next Texaco or restaurant available in San Diego while I'm on a trail 250 miles south of the border?

For example, I'm looking at this:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-D310

to use with this:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...odel=NVE-N872A

Or would Sheki's Kenwood Nav system work with one of their motorized in-dash fold-out units?

Last edited by greghirst : March 24th, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Rob Davison

Greg there is a perfect place to mount a gps in the coin tray on top of the dash. If you dont like it buy a new tray for 10 bucks used.

I am not sure that the radios with LCD screen are going to fit in the stock mounting position. I always had trouble fitting radios in there because its very shallow. These advanced units are likely going to require a deeper mount.

Also with the bouncing around offroad I'm not sure the fold out at a 45deg angle is going to be the best design. I have not researched it but you are linking to some seriously high dollar stuff for what seems to me is not the best solution.

If you dont care about onroad directions which guide you an all that the venerable Garmin 276 is your friend.

If you want it all and like it big, the unit John likes appears to be superb. Either one could be tastfully mounted on the RRc dash in no time, whith it all being completely reversible if you find it too gpssexy

I will say the one thing I like about the 276 unit is. If you get stuck or borken down, you can remove the unit and hike with it.

rob
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Even Greg's getting into it.

It's funny. The two guys with the oldest trucks, in which nav would be the most out of place, want nav.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

I vote for the Garmin 7200. Simpler setup, removable, reversible, etc.

also, check out how you enter GPS coordinates:

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Imagine listening to opera on your ICOM T90 or Kenwood F6A.

Oh la la.
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I found these on the D-90 Source:

Old March 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Rob Davison

At this rate Ho will be switching over to the 7200
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Won Park

why settle with 7200 when you can have 7500?
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I'm really liking the idea of the Kenwood KNA-G510. It's made by Garmin but unlike the Garmin it utilizes a touch screen. So you are getting Garmin software and maps with an available SD slot for update and new map addition, i.e Mexico (Jack are you listening). This unit also uses a hard drive instead of DVD's. I never had an issue with my DVD; however, I do prefer the idea of an HD over DVD. I can use my existing screen too, going online I was able to find this unit for $395. Since it has been suggested I rip out all my after market electronic and start over... this may be a good excuse for some changes. This may be the motivating factor needed to under take such a daunting task as redoing all my electronics.

I would assume (you know what they say about that) because it is Garmin software that it would work very well off road and I would be able to enter in proper GPS coordinates vs. the bull shit I had to deal with last time while in Mexico with my existing Kenwood system.

Damn, why does my Birthday have to be so far away.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by parantaeyang
why settle with 7200 when you can have 7500?

I'm not sure, but from what I can gather the 7500 has DeadReckoning ability whereas the 7200 doesn't. To utilize the DR ability, the 7500 has to be connected to the speedo sender and I think the reverse circuit. This extra connecting is not a big deal, but the accuracy of the DR doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Also, I would think that the 7500 would have an extra wire coming out of the back of the unit. The way I would mount the 7200 or 7500, the extra wire would show. Also, I would rather have the 7200 pull out cleanly whenever I remove it (because the 12v DC is connected to the cradle).

So if in fact the only difference between the 7200 and 7500 is the DR feature, I would prefer the 7200.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst

I'm with Rob and Dan on the motorized screen. I would think that the motorized screen is more susceptible to vibration damage on the trail. The units like the AVIC-Z1 and the Mk3 nav have motorized screens but they operate with the screen "closed" and not hanging out to get levered back and forth constantly on the trail. I have no experience with the motorized screens, so this may not be a real concern at all. But I get the feeling these units are designed for road use rather than trail use. But if you have no room for a biggie monitor with touchscreen ability, the motorized screens may be your only choice.

As an alternative to the $3,000 Alpine system you linked to, here's a motorized screen unit from Pioneer with MSRP of $1,800:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...503034,00.html

This unit has all of the gizmo expandability features.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Yes, I looked at that exact unit today. The demo unit in the store had a broken gear drive where the screen attaches/folds into the head unit.

On the positive side, most of these units have adjustability for the screen angle so the you can customize the screen angle. That is needed for the RRC as it is an odd angle.

On the down-side, only the Kenwood uses a HD Garmin GPS system. Alpine and Pioneer use proprietary CD systems and don't list Mexico as a possibility.

Kenwood system I looked at:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/L...k3=149&pr=2582

with:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/L...k3=150&pr=2354

In looking at these systems I saw one that allowed you to remove the screen and "take it with you the last mile". Can't remember which one it was.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I just went to the Garmin site... they sell Topo maps on an SD card for their units... Holy shit, this is getting me super pumped! If I knew about this a week ago I probably would have bought it and installed it for the Mexico trip.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Here's a pic of the Kenwood KNA-G510 nav system being used with the Kenwood LZ-702W touchscreen monitor:

Note how the menu page is identical to the 7200's menu page:

It's quite likely the KNA-G510 nav has quite a lot in common with the 7200. I don't think the KNA-510 can transmit MP3 files and such, but I would think the GPS accuracy of both units and nav software would be the same for both units. For sure, both units use the same SD cards. I'll bet dinner at Asanebo that the the KNA-G510 uses this system for inputting waypoints, and to the same degree of accuracy as the 7200 and 7500:

Old March 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Oh man. I don't know what I was thinking.

A quick check of the dash with tape measure shows the screen on these motorized units would not be able to fold whatsoever. They would have to come straight out and only be able to move back a couple degrees before hitting the wood part of the dash below the clock. This would put the face of the screen pointing down at the gear shift! Not too easy to view!

As for the screen flopping/hitting, on a rough trail it would get beat to hell with such little support.

I'm not wild about the coin tray but that may be my only alternative. Maybe one of those GPS-sexy AirGizmo's with a 276 mounted there. Crap. I'm going to check out the Garmin 7200/7500.

Last edited by greghirst : March 24th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.