Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

yes, I wanted to be able to manually enter in Latitude and Longitude coordinates... like what Ho did for our Baja trip.

I am half tempted to just go with the Carputer thing again, just the idea of having to try and use computer software while driving is not fun or safe.

Why can't someone just make what I want? Is that too much to ask for?
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

You know what, I hoping that guy I spoke with is an idiot. I just downloaded the user manual for the Garmin GVN52. The manual sucks; however, I am under the impression that you can enter in coordinates.

I will call again tomorrow
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Here's what I want:

A biggie Garmin Nuvi, with about a 7" touchscreen monitor that is high-res, and does at least everything a 276 does. Water resistant like the 276. Basically, a 276 with a big screen and touchscreen functions instead of those damn rubber buttons.

I would like the case to be black or dark gray instead of silver. This silver thing is so "consumer" looking. It reminds me of the cheese LG cell phones and the cheap-shit digital cameras that are everywhere. The silver electronics stuff with the blue lights is annoying.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

With all the touch screen stuff, are finger prints a problem?
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

not at all.
the only time I have ever noticed it was when I was in Baja with the windows down for 300 miles and dust stuck to the prints. The light hit the screen at just the right angle.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The touchscreen was another area where the nuvi made the 7200 seem shitty by comparison. The 7200's touchscreen was fine. Had the nuvi not been there, I would not have complained at all about the 7200's touchscreen.

But next to the nuvi's touchscreen, there was a difference. The 7200's touchscreen didn't have as nice an action as that of the nuvi. Either I had to press harder on the screen or I had to keep my finger touching the screen for longer, but the nuvi's touchscreen had a quicker and cleaner action than the 7200's screen.
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

David, i wonder if from the "saving your current location" or "saving other places" menus, you can edit the lat/lon fields ?

If you can edit the lat/lon fields from either of those options, or maybe even from your "favorites" menu, then you could simply input the lat/lon coordinates for whatever location you wish.

Does that make any sense to you ?
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Trevor Tarr
K6TAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
I don't know how good the Mexico topo detail maps are, but I think it would have eliminated some of that.

The topographic detail in the Baja "Expeditioner" maps sold at http://www.lbmaps.com/ is definitely better than no detail--but nothing compared to the U.S. maps.

As you can see in this sample image, the contour intervals aren't very contoured; they're more like jagged lines:

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

The jagged lines i can deal with, but check out the level of detail difference between the third party Lb maps and garmin's own US topo west.

I set the map detail and zoom fields to mimic the Lb maps example.

Lb;

Garmin;

and this doesn't even go into the actual 'accuracy' of the map set.
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That topography is impressive, Bruno, but can your nav do individual buildings and lanes in Tokyo?:

Old April 6th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Far from it.

Check out how that routing software is showing the lane change required, presumably to make an upcoming turn. That's nice.

Of course all this techno-wisdom goes to crap when there are construction crews, etc. on the road.

It also fails if either the user is negligent in updating software, or the mfg does not continuously offer updated software. Roads, trails, etc., are always changing.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Have you ever noticed those vans on the roads with cameras all over them? Those are contractors paid to just drive. In the back of the van is a very extensive set-up that records the road, road signs, building, etc... Apparently, the next big thing in navigation is going to be what John posted above. You'll be able to load an address, and within the directions, you will be able to see road signs, exits, landmarks, etc. Sounds fancy.

I heard all this on a radio interview with some guy who does the actual work. When asked if they [contractors] ever place a non-existent road on a map, the contractor said "yes", and laughed. Basically, this is how they can tell their maps from others. The companies will insert a dead-end road onto a map that is really not there. if another company is suspected of "stealing" maps, they can then look for these bogus roads to confirm who the map belongs to.
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Do those vans look like this?:

I heard that the Thomas Guides have a small error on every page, so that if the maps are copied in some way by another, the copy will be apparent. Pretty cool.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

More like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg camvandream.jpeg (66.3 KB, 34 views)
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Actually, here we go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4729.jpg (39.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 051127_mapping_van_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg (22.0 KB, 49 views)
Old April 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
David Marchand
KB1NYP

I've yet to see a "simple" carputer install.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...lots-pics.html
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Just called Garmin again, they reconfirmed that the GVN52 & KNAG510 will not allow you to enter in or import Lat./Long. coordinates.

you can enter them in by means of some crazy savimg and then editing of locations. A process not worth the trouble if you have more than a couple of positions you want to use as way points.

I'm so bummed.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That sucks.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
you can enter them in by means of some crazy savimg and then editing of locations.

That's where i was headed with my earlier post.

I don't know the details of that procedure that Garmin described to you, but it may not be much different than what is required for the 276.

On my 276, to manually enter coordinates, you press the 'ENTER/MARK' button which defaults to the unit's last known lat/lon location. You then highlight the 'location' field and edit those coordinates to whatever geographical location you want.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
That's where i was headed with my earlier post.

I don't know the details of that procedure that Garmin described to you, but it may not be much different than what is required for the 276.

On my 276, to manually enter coordinates, you press the 'ENTER/MARK' button which defaults to the unit's last known lat/lon location. You then highlight the 'location' field and edit those coordinates to whatever geographical location you want.

That is what would be required. Ho was able to enter them from his computer and upload them to the 276. Despite having an SD card slot, you can not upload any data other than mapping software from Garmin.

Bullshit!
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

David, Garmin makes the 276C. you should go check it out.

Old April 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Despite having an SD card slot, you can not upload any data other than mapping software from Garmin.

Bullshit!

Yeah, that sucks.

I plan my MC rides using mapsource at home, on the PC. I view them in google earth just to get a feel for the topography, then i upload them in order of riding days to the GPS. This way, i don't have to bother too much with paper maps during the day's ride.

I'd be tempted to load that SD card you have with some waypoints and see what happens when viewed on your map.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno

I'd be tempted to load that SD card you have with some waypoints and see what happens when viewed on your map.

Nah, I think David will go for the 276C.

Old April 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM
craigc

looking for pics of Ho's 276 in his disco - how do you have that mounted??

pics please

-craig
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC